+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Birds are dropping dead in New Mexico, potentially in the 'hundreds of thousands'
    Scientists are investigating why so many birds are dying and are asking the public for help.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/animal-...sands-n1240116

i'm going to guess it's smoke inhalation myself from the wildfires. canaries WERE used in coal mines after all... birds don't strike me as having terribly sturdy lungs against heavy smoke, especially when they're flying high up where the smoke actually is and having to do aerobic exercise to get around everywhere. :X

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I think someone discovered time travel and a portal opened up that let's you skip 33 years forward or backward. Just a hunch.

Spoiler: show
    I just finished Dark so this is on my mind

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    i'm going to guess it's smoke inhalation myself from the wildfires. canaries WERE used in coal mines after all... birds don't strike me as having terribly sturdy lungs against heavy smoke, especially when they're flying high up where the smoke actually is and having to do aerobic exercise to get around everywhere. :X
    I thought canaries were used because if the air got too thin or sparse, they'd know they need to bounce and get air.

i think it works for any "bad air" in general, since small critters just have a faster metabolism than humans, not just lack of oxygen. so sparse air is one way a canary would be affected, but so would any kind of toxic air as well, rapidly circulating through their system and causing them to freak out and alert humans, whose larger bodies would take longer to absorb the same % of the pollutant in the air.

also, if i remember right, humans also have adapted over time to smoke compared to other animals - we're better equipped to handle it, supposedly due to our mastery over fire and people living indoors and living with fireplaces and such with not so great ventilation. so if we're having people wind up in hospitals with smoke inhalation issues on occasion, i'm not surprised it's murdering some of the smaller critters. even here in upper michigan, the last several days some of us with smoke sensitivities have noticed it - my own sinuses have been plugged up a bit and my throats been a bit scratchy until today - turned out the wind was blowing north and sending the smoke away from us. been seeing some crazy skies here too, orange fireball of a sun around mid-afternoon onward with hazy skies that aren't clouds. today was pretty clear though.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

the smoke is pretty brutal here in CO, and the AQI is 130-180 throughout the days. there's no relief coming for at least two weeks; we need some wind and more atmospheric mixing but we ain't gonna get it

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...electric-cars/

California, the world’s fifth-largest economy and the state that created U.S. car culture, will stop selling gasoline-powered automobiles within 15 years, Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) announced Wednesday.

Facing a record-breaking wildfire season as well as years of heat waves and droughts exacerbated by climate change, the Golden State is seeking to accelerate the shift away from combustion engines on its roads, which account for more greenhouse gas emissions than any other source.
“

For too many decades, we have allowed cars to pollute the air that our children and families breathe,” Newsom in announcing an executive order Wednesday. “You deserve to have a car that doesn’t give your kids asthma. Our cars shouldn’t make wildfires worse — and create more days filled with smoky air.”

Under Newsom’s order, the state’s air regulator, the California Air Resources Board, will develop regulations that ensure every new passenger car and truck sold in the state is electric or otherwise “zero-emissions” by 2035. The plan would give industry until 2045 to make sure medium- and heavy-duty vehicles are zero-emissions when feasible. Transportation currently accounts for the largest source of emissions in the state, outpacing the industrial, agricultural and residential sectors combined.

The order does not prevent Californians from owning gas-powered cars, selling used cars with internal-combustion engines or buying them outside the state.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Saw that, seems like the sort of thing that would require legislation, no?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Depends on the regulatory mandate. The EPA's mandate, for instance, supports basically any regulatory action with no textual basis for limitation.

BG Level

Some rather unsettling reading about the fires on the west coast:

https://www.wired.com/story/west-coa...e-infernos/amp

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

There’s like 40km of beach in Russia full of dead animals/fish. Surfers are reporting burning eyes/rashes. Apparently there’s a bunch of oil and phenol in the water.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF8OaibB...=14q1xxbynx09c

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Botosi View Post
    There’s like 40km of beach in Russia full of dead animals/fish. Surfers are reporting burning eyes/rashes. Apparently there’s a bunch of oil and phenol in the water.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF8OaibB...=14q1xxbynx09c
    Holy shit

And Russia is gonna just shrug and move on?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Holy shit

And Russia is gonna just shrug and move on?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

not exactly climate change, but tangentially related
    https://www.newsweek.com/oil-tanker-...ibbean-1540082
    The U.S. embassy in Trinidad and Tobago has urged "immediate actions" to prevent a potentially catastrophic oil spill in the Gulf of Paria, off the coast of Venezuela, where a floating storage and offloading facility is reportedly undergoing repairs.

The Venezuelan-flagged Nabarima vessel has been sat idle off the Venezuelan coast since January 2019. Pictures recently emerged showing the FSO vessel floating at an incline, raising fears that it could spill its load into the gulf devastating the regional fishing industry and delicate ecosystems.

The Nabarima is operated by the Petrosucre company, a joint venture between the Venezuelan state oil company Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA) and the Italian Eni oil giant.

Petrosucre froze oil extraction in January 2019 after being sanctioned by President Donald Trump's administration, leaving 1.3 million barrels of crude oil, some 80 million gallons, aboard the Nabarima.

The infamous Exxon Valdez oil spill—widely considered the worst in history by the amount of environmental damage done—involved around 10.8 million gallons of crude.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

My favorite YT channel with another banger on climate change, this time about geoengineering (aka reverse human-led global

Can't wait to see all the Q and Alex Jones supporters come out with "muh chemtrails!" if we implement anything close to this. Also pretty sure this was from Snowpiercer.

Edit: forgot the embedding syntax here

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Try the link again Jaybar, that one is not what you were hoping for.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao View Post
    Try the link again Jaybar, that one is not what you were hoping for.
    Sometimes I hate Tapa. Should be fixed.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Thanks brother, will watch at lunch.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text