+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    said everyone about Gen Xers 20 years ago
    Completely random, but...where the fuck are the GenXers anyway? Like they have no position or stereotypes or anything.

Like, every single article I ever read it's boomers vs. millennials. It's so weird.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

In 20 years there will still be a metric ton of denier idiots. Possibly not the majority but still a giant amount of people. In 40 years I would agree.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Completely random, but...where the fuck are the GenXers anyway? Like they have no position or stereotypes or anything.

Like, every single article I ever read it's boomers vs. millennials. It's so weird.
    Gen X is heavily represented in middle upper and upper management in most Fortune 500 companies. They will be assuming control of those companies over the next 15 years.

Also they're the ones to blame for the 90s.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

the 90s were great tho

samurai pizza cats and Nirvana and Winona Ryder, what more can a man ask for

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Also they're the ones to blame for the 90s.
    So, animaniacs?

I guess I'll call myself a GenXer again.

I AM NO SLAVE TO NOSTALGIA

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I AM NO SLAVE TO NOSTALGIA

(I have nothing better to do as I am potty training my boy so basically get to sit and stare until he poops.)

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

when the readings reported from the Mauna Loa Observatory are understood to be imperative global news we'll be flirting with reasonable priorities

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

This article has too many words for the average reader, but it's worth the time:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...losophy-239669

If you don't want to spend the time, tl;dr:
    It turns out the Republicans who wrote and enacted the majority of the EPA's landmark legislation are still alive and vehemently disagree with Scott Pruitt's re-imagining of the agency's purpose.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Byrth, do you have readable rebuttal material for my mother who believes climate change is hogwash and we can't do anything about it? She's 67, , so keep that in mind.

Peer reviewed research with abstracts or summaries readable by the non-technical would be appreciated. I could look it up but I know you probably have most of that information at your fingertips.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If there was an article you could show to a climate change denier to change their outlook on the issue, it wouldn't be the problem that it is.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, the best way to convince each person varies and I can't really guess what it would be for her. Republicans made it part of their voters' identity back when they were bankrolled by domestic & foreign oil producers. Asking hardcore Republicans to believe in climate change is also asking them to:
    1) Admit that they've been wrong for ~20 years.
    2) Admit that their recalcitrance contributed to the problems that will cause global suffering for thousands of years.
    3) Admit that the way they, their parents, their grandparents, and everyone they know lived ultimately created the current ecosystem-threatening disaster known colloquially as "global warming."

Facts are almost certainly not the issue. Minor corrections aside, the "hockey stick" graph linked in the OP is consensus and has been for almost two decades. Showing it to someone and explaining what the lines mean should be the only thing you need to do in order to convince them. The problem is in the other things you're asking them to do. Even if she sees the facts, why would a 67 year old woman admit to it?

only way that seems to sometimes work is to trick people into using logic and reason to come to the conclusion themselves. you can't feed them the facts and tell them what it means. you gotta trick them into coming to that end themselves, because instead of being told by someone a third of their age what's real or not, it's instead "their" idea that global warming is real.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Idk maybe send them on a trip around the world to areas strongly affected by the phenomenon like the mediterranean area.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Also worth mentioning that global warming is a misnomer and climate chamge is more accurate. You cam see the effects right here in the US. All these severe storms, "storm of the century" every other year or so, winter starting later and later and having less consistent snowcover. Im 29 and ive noticed these changes within my lifetime. Ask if she remembers white christmases when she was a kid. Hardly ever happens now, and if it does it melts away again in a week.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post

Beavis and Butthead / Daria was about as bad of a mainstream media ripping as Gen Xers were going to get.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

If anyone wants to take a deep read into what our kids are going to be facing, have at it:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...or-humans.html

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm p stoked for the end of civilization tbh

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I really just need to visit like 4-5 more places before things go totally tits up. 5 years tops.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag