+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 82 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

at least he puts right in the header we're dispensing with conclusions based upon empirical evidence and going whole hog into Adrnassacic journalistic fear-mongering.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

okay Ted Cruz.

BG Level

you know you're allowed to believe in climate change without discarding, you know, the truth.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    you know you're allowed to believe in climate change without discarding, you know, the truth.
    The error bars on predictions in 2100 are huge. If there's a 10% chance we're looking at +6 degrees celsius by then, we should be able to talk frankly about what that would mean.

BG Level

a fair point. i just took exception to the author's pejorative attitude towards 'scientific reticence' and their focus on probabilistic thought, especially considering most of the early climate change models rather overestimated the degree of warming hitherto experienced.

BG Level

The challenge presented is just so monumental, it's hard to wrap your mind around it. The idea that we need a WWII-style mobilization, or at least a moon-landing type one, becomes clearer and clearer to me by the day.

The geoengineering / sucking carbon out of the atmosphere challenges that have to be part of the solution are not even in their infancy yet - and we aren't even picking the relatively low-hanging fruits of deeply decarbonizing electricity and transportation.

People don't understand that our entire world electrical grid could be zero-carbon (nuclear/hydro/wind/solar) and all of our ground vehicles could be powered by that electricity, and that's STILL NOT ENOUGH to halt this progression.

Air travel, heavy industry like steel and concrete, and land use effects on their own are too much to reverse carbon accumulation in the atmosphere.

BG Level

maybe not infancy but they are zygotic

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...n-directly-air

technology will save us Archibald.

prolly won't save Miami's waterfront tho.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm personally of the opinion that we're fucked. I'm not an engineer, I'm not a climatologist, but I am a scientist and I do keep up to reasonable date on where technology is and etc. I'm not convinced that the necessary marriage of science and politics will happen in time.

Don't really care if I'm wrong. I'll be dead. So long suckers.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    maybe not infancy but they are zygotic

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...n-directly-air

technology will save us Archibald.

prolly won't save Miami's waterfront tho.
    Poor Bangladesh.

Although that statement always applies.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    I'm personally of the opinion that we're fucked.
    Agreed.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Air Travel, heavy industry like steel and concrete, and land use effects on their own are too much to reverse carbon accumulation in the atmosphere.
    Not really sure about concrete but I know for a lot of the various large metal industries the sheer amount of concentrated heat they need makes trying to use electricity too inefficient/costly. But I remember some talk of using heat produced from a reactor for it (already a lot of various industrial cogeneration work being done).

Planes have similar difficulties but it's more a matter of weight to energy production. But nuclear might be actually be a possibility we had mixed success that was then abandoned in the 60s. Lockhead Martin has somewhat recently been designing compact fusion reactors that should be able to be used for airtravel (though some updates I've read seems they are having harder than thought time getting it that small)... as well as space or small cities boats etc. Actually rather neet

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

That type of stuff is such that, even if it works fantastically, has to first overcome government regulation and then even worse, public outcry and opinion.

We can't even get GMO crops. We're not getting fusion reactors on airplanes.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

aww c'mon, we're gonna right this ship here anytime now

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    That type of stuff is such that, even if it works fantastically, has to first overcome government regulation and then even worse, public outcry and opinion.

We can't even get GMO crops. We're not getting fusion reactors on airplanes.
    Funny thing is back when we didn't have the technology we could have work thru the regulations and public (in fact actually had operating fission reactors flying) and now that we have the tech or at least are the cusp... that's ok we'll just let China do it first and make a few mistakes along the way we can learn from. And we getting better. We got fda approved ge fish now.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Funny thing is back when we didn't have the technology we could have work thru the regulations and public (in fact actually had operating fission reactors flying) and now that we have the tech or at least are the cusp... that's ok we'll just let China do it first and make a few mistakes along the way we can learn from. And we getting better. We got fda approved ge fish now.
    What is and what isn't FDA approved isn't the end-all and be-all. See my public opinion statement. A staggeringly large (maybe majority?) of food distributors and manufacturers will only use non-GMO (lol) ingredients because of public outcry and boycotts. I have no reason to believe it'd be any different with technology.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

what might it take to shake our complacency? well.. we'll get to see

we have sown the seeds of unimaginable unrest and mass extinction. perhaps it was our destiny

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It's going to take a lot of people dying horribly, just like everything else.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

here's hoping some gnarly infectious diseases are reborn from thawing permafrost. it's my favorite plot device no one uses

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

is it time to rename the permafrost yet

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    here's hoping some gnarly infectious diseases are reborn from thawing permafrost. it's my favorite plot device no one uses
    the true danger of global warming right here. that and methane, apparently

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 82 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag