XI was, and will always be, better.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Looking for a good dual-monitor setup on a budget!

Like the title says, looking for a good deal on a dual-monitor setup

Setting this up for my fiancee, she does alot of work from home and I'd like to get her office setup a little better. She is using a 2016 macbook pro

I don't care about brands, but would like to keep the monitors around 20", can be refurbs, etc

Needing x2 monitors, stand, and the converter cables if need be

Have checked newegg but im around 300, wanted to see if you tech gurus has any better options, or sites I should check out

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

20" because of the space they are going?

Because you can get decent 24" monitors for ~$300

$110 after a $20 rebate.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post

$110 after a $20 rebate.
    I've been using 3 of a similar model(VS248H-P) for over half a decade and they are fantastic for the price.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I'm not going to guess about the prices, since they vary so wildly, but what kind of work does she do? multiple "small" monitors might not be the best deal compared to some "larger" high resolution ones depending on type of tasks.
    (and those tiny monitors very often have low resolutions on the really cheap ones, which can be counterproductive in itself)

That ASUS monitor looks pretty decent for that price. No DP port, but with a MacBook 2016 you probably already have more dongles than a gadget store, so shouldn't matter.

edit: just incase you're unaware (and disclaimer about me now knowing Mac very well), you can use the MacBook screen as one screen, and the standalone screen as another (at least you can on regular PCs), so you already have two screens with one external, we have a lot of those at work, people will keep their e-mail client (or whatever info they're looking up on) on the small laptop screen, whilst working on the bigger screen.

it's not what you asked for, and slighly above the price you suggested,but we have several cousins of this one https://smile.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765...dp/B00KYCSRSG/ at the office, works pretty well (except for slighly buggy when used with the newer Surface Pro docks)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    I'm not going to guess about the prices, since they vary so wildly, but what kind of work does she do? multiple "small" monitors might not be the best deal compared to some "larger" high resolution ones depending on type of tasks.
    (and those tiny monitors very often have low resolutions on the really cheap ones, which can be counterproductive in itself)

That ASUS monitor looks pretty decent for that price. No DP port, but with a MacBook 2016 you probably already have more dongles than a gadget store, so shouldn't matter.

edit: just incase you're unaware (and disclaimer about me now knowing Mac very well), you can use the MacBook screen as one screen, and the standalone screen as another (at least you can on regular PCs), so you already have two screens with one external, we have a lot of those at work, people will keep their e-mail client (or whatever info they're looking up on) on the small laptop screen, whilst working on the bigger screen.

it's not what you asked for, and slighly above the price you suggested,but we have several cousins of this one https://smile.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765...dp/B00KYCSRSG/ at the office, works pretty well (except for slighly buggy when used with the newer Surface Pro docks)
    She is an HR manager for a large company here in Indy. She does a lot of payroll and accounting, so she normally has all 3 of her screens filled to the brim at work. I considered using the Mac screen and one external, but I'd rather emulate the setup she has at work, since it's what she's accustomed to using. The budget I put out in the OP was a little on the low end. I'm on the flexible end, and realize I'm going to be spending more than that. It's been a long time since I set up workstations, forgot how much money one could sink into this lol

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post

$110 after a $20 rebate.
    Got my eyes on these, waiting to see if Black Friday will bring them even lower. Thanks!

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Patriarch View Post
    She is an HR manager for a large company here in Indy. She does a lot of payroll and accounting, so she normally has all 3 of her screens filled to the brim at work. I considered using the Mac screen and one external, but I'd rather emulate the setup she has at work, since it's what she's accustomed to using. The budget I put out in the OP was a little on the low end. I'm on the flexible end, and realize I'm going to be spending more than that. It's been a long time since I set up workstations, forgot how much money one could sink into this lol
    We went a few rounds where I work trying to find the optimal solution for the payroll and accounting people here.
    What we wound up doing was get a couple of these https://smile.amazon.com/AOC-Profess.../dp/B00RYZU2ZW (in the DP variant) for the "big shots" and they're pretty happy about it, lets you line up a lot of stuff side by side (you lose a bit of real estate to bezels and whatnot in multiscreens, but it depends on how nice the applications play with that kind of setup, some applications "want" to run over the entire screen) but those aforementioned Asus' will probably be good for those her needs.

And keeping the experience "seamless"'ish between office and home is nice :D We have a lot of people who refuse to have fancy hardware at the HQ office because they want to have the same experience wherever they are working (which of course makes their remaining hardware crazy expensive, but ah well..)

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Patriarch View Post
    Got my eyes on these, waiting to see if Black Friday will bring them even lower. Thanks!
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LJr...onitor-vs247hp

Looks like Newegg has them for $100 after a MIR and instant discount. That PCPartpicker link also shows other retailers and shows pricing trends. FWIW, $100 is as low as they've gone in the past 2 years.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Ended up getting

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS248H-P.../dp/B0058UUR6E (x2 best buy black friday for $79 a piece)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HSJN0HK/ref=cfb_at_prodpg ($35)

and the cables which were next to nothing

black friday came through this year