1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 36 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 36 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I suppose I live in a different world from you guys. I have literally never voice chatted ever. I might have to change that if I end up doing a static for AS but so far I've never done content that required it.

On the other hand, I'm always the guy joking between pulls, or when a toad trap goes off in PotD, etc. Not during fights though, that's a different story.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I never used voicecomms for XI, but TBH raiding in this game essentially requires* it.

*You can drive a car with your feet if you really wanted to, etc.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

God damnit, now everyone will know I'm not a diminutive female in real life...

Spoiler: show
    unless I start practicing my little girl voice...!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Tanaka's XIV was a great idea that was executed with the competence of a drunken homeless man.
    Yoshida's XIV is a uninspiring, cookiecutter idea executed with flawless precision.
    You can't sell a game on ideas unless you can actually implement them. Tanaka's game was a pretty, lifeless, empty world filled with limitations because he couldn't be bothered to include content worth a damn. Reading through XI's patch notes after launch you quickly realize that he had no fucking clue about MMOs and only got lucky the first time because it wasn't a worldwide launch and he had time to fix his shitty game. Took him 1 year or so the first time, that's unacceptable.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I used voicechat extensively in XI and some in XIV, sometimes with strangers but mostly with friends. The first time I used vent I was really nervous I think because I hate putting myself out there but once you get used to voicechatting it's the most natural thing in the world and so much easier than typing (unless youre using a really awkward push to talk and you forget to push the button so you end up talking to yourself for 5 minutes and no I don't know this from experience XD). I think it's pretty fun and a good way to make friends.

I agree that XIV could really use an inbuilt voice chat, but I'd rather they just redo the entire battle system to be a bit slower to allow more chatting during play. I'm not sure it would help community building as much as I'd like it to though - the existence of duty finder and the ability to do most non-dungeon content solo kind of kills that regardless of chat during battle.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

XIV is far too buttons-y to ever allow text chat. It only worked in XI because most jobs had downtime; autoattacking waiting on TP, waiting on cooldowns, resting MP, etc. Trying to talk in text as a RNG (in between mashing Ctrl+D) pretty much sucked... it was the kind of monosyllabic responses you would expect talking to someone on a treadmill.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

You can type in between gcd if you have any decent wpm without missing a gcd.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Mostly when I chat it's in situations like:
    - Raiding and waiting for everyone to arrive at the next trash pull/boss
    - PotD while waiting to transfer between floors
    - Raiding/PotD/dungeons/anywhere while auto-running
    - When the content is fairly laid back, such as a Hard Primal for daily roulette

But I do agree that the setup of the game isn't nearly as chat-friendly as FFXI was. I mean in XI you'd chat between colibri pulls, for example (which is probably why we all thought BRDs were snobs; they couldn't join in!) or while traversing vast distances to a particular fight (as opposed to Duty Finder).

At the end of the day, XIV just doesn't encourage the same level of friendly banter as XI did, for better or for worse.

Also why we're still talking about this in a patch update thread I'm not sure... not that I care, I'm just not sure where that came from lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    Mostly when I chat it's in situations like:
    - Raiding and waiting for everyone to arrive at the next trash pull/boss
    - PotD while waiting to transfer between floors
    - Raiding/PotD/dungeons/anywhere while auto-running
    - When the content is fairly laid back, such as a Hard Primal for daily roulette

But I do agree that the setup of the game isn't nearly as chat-friendly as FFXI was. I mean in XI you'd chat between colibri pulls, for example (which is probably why we all thought BRDs were snobs; they couldn't join in!) or while traversing vast distances to a particular fight (as opposed to Duty Finder).

At the end of the day, XIV just doesn't encourage the same level of friendly banter as XI did, for better or for worse.

Also why we're still talking about this in a patch update thread I'm not sure... not that I care, I'm just not sure where that came from lol
    This is every thread in BG's XIV section. It's usually a Tanaka/1.0/XI circle jerk thing that never really goes anywhere. It starts with complaints about the upcoming patch and quickly turns into "oh how wonderful the game was/could've been if only HE was given a chance!".

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    You can type in between gcd if you have any decent wpm without missing a gcd.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    the kind of monosyllabic responses you would expect talking to someone on a treadmill.
    If you can type 60 WPM and your GCD is under 2.5 seconds, do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    This is every thread in BG's XIV section. It's usually a Tanaka/1.0/XI circle jerk thing that never really goes anywhere. It starts with complaints about the upcoming patch and quickly turns into "oh how wonderful the game was/could've been if only HE was given a chance!".
    I've literally never seen anyone say that Tanaka should have been given more time with XIV. He proved himself fully incompetent and should have been fired during beta.

I can't speak for others, but what I've personally said is that there were many ideas worth salvaging from 1.0. But 1.x definitely had to die, if only because a scalp needed to be claimed in order for the people to move on. The 1.0 release was just too bad to allow 1.x to live; you needed the actual event of "This is a brand new game" to even get people to look in this game's direction.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think when people actually have any decent memories of 1.x they're thinking of past 1.23 or whatever the patch was that overhauled the system when Yoshida took over. Some liked the direction the game started going, however the base was just too rotten to continue with it anyway.

New Merits
    BG Level

I participated in end-game and raided (once it became an option) from hitting 50 after ARR release 'til HW release.
    I un-subbed right after getting HW - though I guess that makes me a year behind the times.

The dungeons, the raids, the trials... they were OK. The first time you do them - reasonably fun. Maybe twice if you're being generous.

Every time after that is kinda unwelcome grind.

FFXIV:ARR is far from the worst game ever... but for a game with a monthly sub fee which adds up fairly quickly I personally find it kinda very low on the fun/$ scale. I mean, you can pick up a lot of AAA game-hours per dollar for near nothing during steam sales.

I don't think I've seen anyone say XIV 1.0 was anything but a train-wreck on release - but there were certainly design ideas that had potential in there. There was also a ton of utter madness. Why does one have to come with the other? If we don't want broken UIs, empty worlds and player-hating XP timers do we have to have bland dry-biscuit combat? (No.)

It may have made sense for SE financially to re-launch FFXIV as a play-it-safe design, but that doesn't mean that it makes sense for consumers who thought XIV was a game being made for their market to stick with it (they pitched both 1.0 and ARR at us, to be fair).

I mean, you could probably release a re-skinned Tetris clone for mobiles (with a cash shop! - sure why not!?) and make a reasonable success from it but you wouldn't expect any sort of veteran gamer to even glance at it for anything but nostalgia reasons.

I dunno - I've had plenty of gripes with XI and XIV... there were a lot of cost / dev-time efficient changes they could have done to improve them over the years yet they chose not to. I've enjoyed both at different times but when it comes down to brass-tacks neither of them are worth their sub cost to me right now.

The upcoming "skip all our un-fun content" cash-shop potions really don't give me any hope this will change with the upcoming expansion. I think they could have made a game that I would have stayed subbed to but the current and likely future states of XIV and XI don't really appeal to me.

You may feel very differently about SE's MMOs and that's cool - but unless they have friends they can only hang out with in one of those games for some reason, I wouldn't recommend playing either to someone. There's just so many other more rewarding things you can do without paying a sub-fee. Like typing pages on forums...

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

not sure why I clicked on this thread expecting to see the new screenshots

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    not sure why I clicked on this thread expecting to see the new screenshots
    Few more days (if yoshida actually provides and not try to push it off to the last an festival.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaano View Post
    Yeah

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Aleth View Post
    I participated in end-game and raided (once it became an option) from hitting 50 after ARR release 'til HW release.
    I un-subbed right after getting HW - though I guess that makes me a year behind the times.

The dungeons, the raids, the trials... they were OK. The first time you do them - reasonably fun. Maybe twice if you're being generous.

Every time after that is kinda unwelcome grind.
    Thanks for the context. What did you think of Coil? I do agree that repeat farming does get a little boring, although i'm weird and find it fun to push as hard as I can to get the perfect run.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with a lot of other stuff you have said and I really can see how things can be improved, but I enjoy the combat in the game and the base part of the combat (other than a few quirks here and there) is good.

Also, as a note, a lot of the classes actually received a lot more depth in 3.0 after you unsubbed which was nice imo.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Shaano View Post
    Yep. Blows the "Raiders are the 1% and there should not be more content provided to them" shitposts out of the water.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

My favorite pics so far:

Assassin's Creed: Eorzea?

In keeping with the trend, this art looks just like the sprite from FFVI. Very nicely done, boys! Now I just need to get around to clearing Fiend and Goddess *cough*

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

also, google translate lol

In addition, the function to change the color of the car bench

the... the what now?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Threw on a link to the lodestone preview and 4gamer preview. Also some extra pictures.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast