1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 18 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 18 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I personally enjoy XIV's setup more than WHM/NIN tanking shenanigans, but I do see your point

Yeah, both styles have their pros and cons. I think where XI frequently dropped the ball was some job's niche not ever really having a time to shine. On the other hand, it's also kinda why I aspire for some game to someday abandon the core class concept, and instead provide a system where people select skills and increase attributes based on how they play. Cookie cutters may show up eventually that people would want to label as a Paladin or whatever, but I do think there would be something to be gained (socially) in figuring out how to make things work when everyone's bringing random toolkits to the table. However, such also really hinges on mobs being smarter than MMOs tend to implement, in part due to things like enmity systems to shoehorn the tank concept.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

SMN was my favorite class in XI because it was so cool and its storylines were so good. But it got used for only a handful of things, and was useless for most content due to poor pet AI. Still I loved playing it and collecting gear for it and running around with my cool summons out. It was fun.

SMN in XIV is a useful class compared to how it was in XI, but aside from Carby which kept his original model, the summons look stupid and they're boring as sin. All the fun of the class was washed away along with its uniqueness. Same story with every dps class, smash the same series of buttons over and over ad infinitum.

I guess I'd prefer to have the class that made me feel like I was having fun, even if it wasn't that useful for party content, over the one that gives me a mundane experience.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My experience in XI was that I had my party-friendly job (in various eras, RNG and/or COR) and I had my solo utility/THwhore/fun job (THF), and I went to the moghouse to change based on what I wanted to do.

There is no such thing as the latter kind of job in XIV. Every job is equally capable at virtually everything, so it doesn't really matter what you pick. It's boring.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

That's why I feel bad when people really expect Stormblood jobs to be "amazing" or "interesting" unless 4.0 is having a drastic gameplay overhaul.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Yelta Sumasu
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    That's why I feel bad when people really expect Stormblood jobs to be "amazing" or "interesting" unless 4.0 is having a drastic gameplay overhaul.
    I experienced this with FC a member about the HW jobs. For some reason he was convinced they would be deep, interesting and super powerful. He quit after leveling them up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Is it too late to hope for samurai?

New Merits
    BG Level

I think the last load of posts have been getting to the core of it.

• There's little meaningful progression or exploration within the combat systems in the game.

• The over-world is next to dead in terms of immersion or relevant game-play systems.

• Anything outside of raid or dungeon combat is meaningless - see crafting, fishing, racing etc.

I think it's well established the combat in this game is lacking. The gear is dull. The act of combat is a pre-determined trudge. The variables and how they interact during combat have been pared down so much that there's nothing exciting or different you can do. There are no systems to explore. Everyone plays all the roles in the same way. There are no other ways.

All the Final Fantasy story stuff and world building stuff is fine but its wasted on a game where such things have no relevance.
    They could have made this game in the same pattern as Warframe and it would have lost nothing from its multiplayer game-play...

Taking it to its extreme you could have a game like this and save players time:
    They could cut away ALL the MMO-world stuff and just have player lobbies for raids/dungeons where you just pick the role you want to play and it gives you your character decked out in the appropriate ilvl gear for the class and dungeon. No levelling at all. Just make a lobby, choose a dungeon, get friends in, choose the role you want then open it to public to fill out any open slots.
    Set your character appearance and ability hotbars in the game options and let you get straight to actually playing the game.

This is if the combat in the game is the "fun" part of the game. Well, it seems the combat part of the game is the only part that is relevant.

It all leads you to ask "is there a reason this game is a MMO, not just a multiplayer dungeon-crawler"?

Maybe it would have even focused the designers' brains more on making the combat more enjoyable too.

As for the final point... The game as a whole seems to fail to bind together its varying parts into a whole. All the aforementioned stuff feeds into it - but everything ends up feeling disjointed.

The story part of the game is largely solo - and any story dialogue or cut-scenes glued on to multiplayer raids, dungeons or trials must be skipped in order to not waste the time of others and draw their ire.

The FATES seem to be being done by... nobody. The guildleves are a system that is woefully under-developed. These could have been an alternate source of party content set in the over-world! (IIRC the leves were probably going to be the focus of the whole game had Tanaka remained in charge - remember the old intro vid?)

Crafting and gathering seem to fit into the game less well than they did in XI, despite there literally being separate classes just for these roles! Again I think they were originally going to all be much more significant (and integral) to the game - but not anymore!

So you end up with a game built out of disparate parts that are not meaningfully bound together. Only one part is actually multiplayer. Even that part is shallow.

Can we agree the re-boot of FFXIV threw the baby out with the bath-water? It's clear the intention of the original game's design was that the different game-play paths were far more inter-locking. Gathering - Crafting - Fighting. Even if you only chose to partake in one of these things. You had to interact with players who did the other things.

Same for the combat - the different way the classes were meant to play. (Remember that image on the 1.0 website with the chart showing the different classes engaging at different ranges and in different ways? eg. The warrior up close but immobile doing wide, short AOEs, the lancer standing way back doing long-thin AoE thrusts...? All the classes seemed to have interesting ideas behind them. Had they got to hone and deliver on this combat system the game might have been something more special.)

Simplifying mechanics and systems in the game in order to control the player experience so they could diagnose and fix whatever was broken with the game's initial release ended up breaking everything that mattered.

ARR fixed the mouse and broke the game.

Nobody wants to play a game with a broken UI. However, nobody chooses to play a game just because the menus work. That is not enough. The menus and mouse work in my office suite... I don't consider it a thrilling game when I use it.

I know it might sounds like I just enjoy bashing XIV but really it's just how disappointing it has been. They really have done great work in parts of the game - the engine, animation, art, sound, translation, humour etc. Just the one place they have fallen down over and over in ARR is in the actual core game design.

The game bits of the game.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aleth View Post
    Can we agree
    never

Someone will always come along to tell you how wrong you are, it's the internet.

Crafting would be more important if it was given important shit to make and not just vanity pieces.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

On the plus side they're having good synths (250 crafted was largely enough for this round of creator savage..)

On the bad side, they've yet to go back to where Dungeons+Tomes+Endgame+Crafted gear could all work together like early 2.x era, but ironically, that was only because it was still transitioning off of 1.x which had the better itemization, so they kinda didn't have a choice but to actually be smart with the itemization.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Square being sneaky and releasing the samurai trailer on twitter.

Samurai so tasty!

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Hioki View Post
    Square being sneaky and releasing the samurai trailer on twitter.

Samurai so tasty!
    That's a cup of noodles commercial.

WHY ARE YOU TOYING WITH MY EMOTIONS?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

While you make some good points Aleth, I don't think you can really comment on the combat of FFXIV when you've not raided (I may be confusing you with someone else, but iirc you said you quit fairly early on in the game?). I'm not saying its perfect, but it certainly isn't shit. Its pretty bleh at early levels i'd agree though.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My biggest issue with this game is waiting 8 fucking weeks to get pages to buy 1 item out of the top fight, why cant i farm more than 1 page a week if I cant get direct drops

how bad would it hurt their subs if they let people get gear as they want when I'm sure still less than 1% can even beat a12s

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

What game is good at the start and gets better at the end with their combat system? You're forced to unlock or power up your abilities and you're left with a toolkit of either shit the devs threw at you or something that people found to work best if there is a talent/skill augment system, only changing when nerfs/meta is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    My biggest issue with this game is waiting 8 fucking weeks to get pages to buy 1 item out of the top fight, why cant i farm more than 1 page a week if I cant get direct drops

how bad would it hurt their subs if they let people get gear as they want when I'm sure still less than 1% can even beat a12s
    Well, like watching the XI dev thread here about the Omen event, you've got people okay with time gating. Until such people can be convinced that protecting the no-lifers from zerging content at launch is more or less an exercise in futility relative to their social norms, and that gating more often than not just enables dev sluggishness while fitting snugly the fleecing nature of the subscription play model, we're gonna get what we get.

So, uh... "Ha ha! He wants nice things? Cute." :/

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

See, I don't mind gates in XI because..well..I have multiple shit I can do. In XIV it's clearly an excuse to try to prolong content longer than it should be. I mean if you go back and help people you REMOVE loot the more people that cleared that helps. That should never be a restriction. Maybe if they did shit more than every 6 months in terms of progression there wouldn't be such idiotic gates or force 1-2+ months to fully gear out in relevant tomestone gear, if its even good gear at that (but may as well get the main stat boost.)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I'm just loving this thread, so much gold. Seriously love when people start throwing their ideas for how to handle 'X' when they don't consider the jarring flaws with their ideas. Stick to XI it's your only hope at ever being good at a video game.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

See, I don't mind gates in XI because..well..I have multiple shit I can do. In XIV it's clearly an excuse to try to prolong content longer than it should be. I mean if you go back and help people you REMOVE loot the more people that cleared that helps. That should never be a restriction. Maybe if they did shit more than every 6 months in terms of progression there wouldn't be such idiotic gates or force 1-2+ months to fully gear out in relevant tomestone gear, if its even good gear at that (but may as well get the main stat boost.)
    Multiple things things to do that give shittier gear than I can get otherwise

Hard pass

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast