• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Gsync monitor starts with low refresh rate upon boot

Have had a gsync monitor for a while, and would notice that on occasion my games would load with super low FPS. Would have to restart (a few times, sometimes) to get it to back to normal. Wasn't until I started playing overwatch when it started happening ALL the time, and I realized (assumed) it was a function of the refresh rate on the monitor starting off at 30hz (as that's what my fps would always show). The display properties showed the monitor already at 144hz when this happened, but I found if I set it to something else like the 120hz option then set it back to 144hz it'd revert to how it should be.

Still, this is something that I have to do literally every day which is obnoxious (though strangely enough if I fix it like that at the start of the day I don't have to redo it if I reboot the same day). Thought it might be fixed with since I just got a 1080 and did a clean driver install but I'm still having issues. I also thought it might have something to do with me using a dual monitor setup but after the 1080 install I've only been on the one monitor and it's still the same thing.

Any suggestions? thanks

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Dummy check for making sure v-sync is disabled and there's no FPS cap on the game. Googling to spitball more stuff.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

my overall settings had vsync set to letting applications decide, so i set it to completely off.

overwatch itself had vsync on, and frame cap set to 300 though curiously if i set it to display-based it caps to 70 when it should be 144. ffxiv i didn't see a setting for vsync, but i assume if my general settings has it off instead of app-based that should be good enough there. also i set that to 144 fps cap some time ago as well.

thanks, btw

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

FFXIV is weird because it'll do full, 1/2 or 1/4. Check system settings.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

right, mine's on the 1/1 at 144fps. basically no arbitrary frame caps set on either game. this issue was happening with xcom 2 as well, which had no setting to cap fps.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Check if you have G-Sync set to run on windowed applications, it's been known to cause problems like you just described.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

yes i have gsync set to run on windowed and full screen mode. but i basically can't function without it set that way, so i guess i might be resigned to my fate

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

so this had been happening still and i'd just been dealing with it by swapping resolution on every boot. got fed up and looked it up again and i found what seems to be the solution.

idk if it's just a win10 thing but apparently "turn on fast startup" in the power button options is the culprit. just guessing here but maybe it's the pc trying to bypass things like setting the refresh rate properly in order to get a quicker boot? either way it's 2/2 on booting up so far with the proper rates.

either way thanks for the help. actually probably wouldn't have been able to figure it out without the input here.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Fast startup is pure cancer, especially with so many people rocking SSD boot drives these days. Killing hibernation (and by extension fast startup) is one of the first things I do with new computers/after a reflash.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

oh good to know, i had no idea.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's a ok feature for people who don't own an SSD (even if it can lead to some problems), but when your boot times are already in the low teens or below with an SSD it's completely worthless.