Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennessee is burning     submit to reddit submit to twitter

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Also from TN, ~1 hour out from Gatlinburg.

Terrifying. Horrified to see the beautiful mountains I grew up with in such a state. This place will never be the same. The air quality has been awful lately as well due to all of this. All because of some bitch ass punks.

I've got horrendous allergies and so much as leaving the house has managed to ruin me. The 2-3 days of rain we had has hardly helped much either.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I can feel that feel. I had a 500k acre wildfire burn basically right in my backdoor and ruin a perfectly good wilderness that I spent my younger years hiking up and down. Even now after 13 years the burn scar is horrific and will remain so for a minimum of 150-200 more years.

Nothing like your town on a standing 6-hour evac notice for several weeks and seeing the fire's body from my driveway. And the smoked out sun and falling ash feeling straight out of Fallout.

And with the level of suppression costs, lost private resources, and (most notably) life lost I fully expect them to be tried as adults if there's even the smallest whiff of negligence. If they admit to arson then they will enjoy the next 30-35 years in prison guaranteed. Hell I had a local tweaker get 12 years for arson for setting a fire in the woods to melt insulation off a spool of stolen copper wire and burnt 80 acres of nearly clearcut timber with zero loss of life.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

There's plenty of talk of them being tried as adults. I'd want nothing less. They took hundreds of years of natural progress and binned it for the "fun of it"--one of them even seems proud of his achievement.

Totally excluding the homes with value in the 500k-1million range aplenty in those areas. Granted, a lot of the property owned there is just people that use it for vacation homes, but still.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nep View Post
    There's plenty of talk of them being tried as adults. I'd want nothing less. They took hundreds of years of natural progress and binned it for the "fun of it"--one of them even seems proud of his achievement.

Totally excluding the homes with value in the 500k-1million range aplenty in those areas. Granted, a lot of the property owned there is just people that use it for vacation homes, but still.
    So is there more info on them now like age? I ask since you said one seems proud. What did he say/do?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

juveniles should never be tried as adults. empirically there's a large and growing body of evidence that putting juveniles into the adult criminal justice system is the exact sort of thing that feels satisfying emotionally while being the exact sort of thing that leads to an increase not a decrease in crime. it is a sad facet of society that the only time we countenance adolescents as being equal to adults in terms of decision making is not to allow them to buy cigarettes, or to serve in the military, or to consent to sex, but to punish them.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I'm not finding any information on the kids other than they are from Tennessee, but not from the areas that were burned.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    juveniles should never be tried as adults. empirically there's a large and growing body of evidence that putting juveniles into the adult criminal justice system is the exact sort of thing that feels satisfying emotionally while being the exact sort of thing that leads to an increase not a decrease in crime. it is a sad facet of society that the only time we countenance adolescents as being equal to adults in terms of decision making is not to allow them to buy cigarettes, or to serve in the military, or to consent to sex, but to punish them.
    but what if they are 17 and a half

BG Level

fry em

personally would like to see them made to do community service replanting the forest they burned down, clearing deadwood, digging up stumps, etc...

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Tree planting is hard enough work that even the Mexicans don't like doing it.

How long before they claim Trump made them do it to bring tree planting jobs to America?

Bad jokes aside, I did go to that area when I was younger. Even if I couldn't really get into the touristy entertainment my family ran through, Dixie Stampede as a Civil War themed Medieval Times aside, the cabin we stayed in was still pretty cool and it obviously sucks a lot of people lost their homes and livelihoods. And personally, I don't think the kids should be gone easy on. Things probably escalated way past their intent, sure, but we've gotta stop encouraging that doing profoundly stupid shit is okay as long as you're a kid. Doesn't matter if it's playing with fire, aiming fake guns at cops, getting girls blackout drunk to bang, or whatever. And the likely unfortunate common theme is they probably did perceive such taboos as cool.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The giant house I stayed in when I was in town was burnt to a crisp.

Lame.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yeah, there's a level of responsibility we put on children that has always been upheld. Setting fire to your state is one of those things that should have been nipped in the butt the first time these kids tried playing with fire. I blame the parents, but I'm not going to jail them for what their kids did. Throw the book at em, and let it sit in history as a reminder of shit you should teach your children not to do.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Dolly Parton will be hosting a telethon tomorrow night to raise money for relief efforts. A huge roster of country music's biggest stars will be taking part. http://tasteofcountry.com/chris-stap...lethon-lineup/

The list of artists taking part in Dolly Parton‘s telethon to help those affected by the devastating wildfires in her native East Tennessee is growing.

The Tennessean reports that Chris Stapleton, Chris Young and Amy Grant are among the stars recently added to Parton’s benefit telethon, Smoky Mountains Rise: A Benefit for the My People Fund. They join previously announced acts including Reba McEntire, Kenny Rogers, Alison Krauss, Chris Janson, Big & Rich, Michael W. Smith, LoCash and Montgomery Gentry.

“I’m truly honored that these artists are giving their time and energy to help us raise money for everyone affected by the wildfires,” Parton says in a press release. “I’ve got so many great friends in the industry, and I’m so proud that they were so ready to step up and help me help my people in the Smoky Mountains through this telethon and the My People Fund.”

Parton set up the My People Fund after devastating wildfires ravaged the area of Gatlinburg, Tenn., and surrounding Sevier County for multiple days. The fund provides $1,000 a month to local families who lost their homes as a way to help them survive as they recuperate from the horrific events.

Fourteen people lost their lives in the fires and thousands of structures have been damaged. Parton’s own Dollywood was evacuated as flames approached “right on the doorstep” of the tourist attraction. Though several of its Smoky Mountains cabin rentals were damaged, the amusement park itself did not endure any destruction.

The telethon airs on Tuesday (Dec. 13) at 8PM ET on networks including GAC, RFD, AXS TV and USA Today National Networks. Viewers can call 1-866-CARE-MORE to donate to the My People Fund.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    personally would like to see them made to do community service replanting the forest they burned down, clearing deadwood, digging up stumps, etc...
    Yeah? Community service is a good answer to 11 people dead and hundreds of millions of dollars in damage?

Is this a serious fucking post?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yes, he's serious.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Should pardon them, let them earn an education and therefore more money, then fine them. If we started now, at min wage, those kids will never work off what they owe.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I was made to do community service for speeding and driving violations.

For this sort of arson, I'd welcome euthanasia.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Information on exactly how the two teens started the fire has been released. Apparently they were walking up the Chimmey Tops trail and lighting matches as they went and throwing them to the side of the trail. The only way they found out about this is because some other hikers were walking behind them and noticed them doing this and got closer to them and took pictures of them on their cell phones. They identified them by their clothing.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Wow, is that how people get caught? Cause that's retarded as shit.