Did my CM using the Ashe BSB RW method, 1/1 with 2 damage medals lost

Setup:
    Mog - Curaga r5 / Thundaga r4 / +20% healing / Shared Medica
    Relm - Curaja r5 / Protectga r3 / Doublecast / SSB Medica
    Setzer - Full Break r2 / Magic Breakdown r4 / Mako Might / Shared Shellga
    Kefka - Memento Mori / -- / Devotion / --
    Terra - Haste r5 / Thundaja r5 / Auto-Haste / Shared Medica

RW - Dusk's Decree

Command 1 hit 9999 x4 with an 8* chocobo brush and Ashe's BSB armor (17 MAG, +20% thunder damage) equipped, and I won with 1 second left on doom counter so it was close. I'm not sure what MAG is needed to hit that hard with full break, so another source of damage or another thunder source to take down the barrier without having to use command 1 for 0 damage might be needed if attempting to replicate this strat with weaker gear.

U fight caused me 1 S/L with my healer being focus fired before I could move but was easy after mitigation was up, U++ was pretty easy with a turn 1 Eiko BSB to cancel out the opening gravity attack and full mitigation.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

How essential is team synergy for these fights anyway? I'm still in the process of getting the required RMs, and I'm very lacking on FF6 options right now (I have Terra at 65 with BSB, but that's about it)...

Tried (U) a couple of times with Zell-80/Luneth-80/Vaan-65 w/ BSB, Ramza-80 w/Shout, Porom and had to S/L a shit-ton because the Magitek Armor insisted on starting the festivities by using Laser on Vaan before buffs went up. Strategy was to have everyone defend early, and use Lightning Dive to kill the two back row guys - Full Break the Magitek Armor, then whittle it down. Got lucky with the timing, because I got a full party cure Sync off right before the first wave went down.

Second round was a bit hairier - tried throwing everything I could to kill the two front row guys ASAP, and although they went down fast, it obviously wasn't fast enough, because I took a beating. Pretty sure I ate two fast AoEs from the front row guys, and then the Armor in the back picked off Ramza. AoE proved too much to keep up with here, even with Protectga and Sentinel's Tome (which may have went down at some point, really hard to keep track of, especially when you "really need to Curaja this turn" or "this mob is one hit from dying, let me kill it first"). Managed to get through this round, but by the time it was over, I was entering the final wave with only Porom and Zell left alive.

So I dunno - I've cleared a (U) before, with shit hones - but it was only one enemy (FF3 Red Dragon). These things have nothing for HP, but hit so hard and fast, that they're more likely to kill you before you can kill them.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Character synergy isn't a huge deal, it basically just adds 10 levels worth of stats to each character that qualifies (i.e. a level 70 synergy character has the same stats as if it were level 80 without). While useful, it's generally much better to bring characters you have strong SBs for vs synergy characters with weaker or no SBs.

Gear synergy, however, is a huge deal. 5* weapons generally gain around +80 to their primary stat at level 20 with realm synergy which is massive, and armor gets large DEF/RES bonuses, and often decent ATK/MAG/MND bonuses if the armor normally boosts those stats.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Corwen View Post
    Character synergy isn't a huge deal, it basically just adds 10 levels worth of stats to each character that qualifies (i.e. a level 70 synergy character has the same stats as if it were level 80 without). While useful, it's generally much better to bring characters you have strong SBs for vs synergy characters with weaker or no SBs.

Gear synergy, however, is a huge deal. 5* weapons generally gain around +80 to their primary stat at level 20 with realm synergy which is massive, and armor gets large DEF/RES bonuses, and often decent ATK/MAG/MND bonuses if the armor normally boosts those stats.
    Thanks. In my case, I don't have a whole lot of FFVI armor, but I do have a few pieces...

20/20 Luminous Robe
    20/20 Regal Gown
    20/20 Tiara
    1/20 Priest's Miter x2 (even at 20/20 - stats look lowish... DEF 66, RES 112)

Also have two 4* Diamond Armors that I could upgrade/combine into a 5* (is this ever worth it?), and a 4* Regal Crown/Red Jacket...

Basically, should I just max out the two Miters, and use those first five pieces?

I feel like these fights were tuned kinda high, myself. Got through them, but start-ups were annoying and U+ is just a giant bag of HP.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Yeah, I got through the first U fight, barely, by using a mythril reraise and getting some extra ability uses and full SB gauges. But the last round was absolutely brutal. Entered it fully buffed and near full HP, but the three mobs used back-to-back-to-back AoE Laser attacks (Laser Diffuser or something?)... The fight against Guardian was a giant bag of "nope", however. Even with Full Break, of which I only have rank 1, everything I threw at it was doing shit damage. Went invincible at like 75%. Was hoping Lightning Dive would count as 4 attacks, nope. I just ran at that point. Not winning that one unless I dump several mythril into strategically dying.

Plus fights that are basically insta-lose if you let buffs or debuffs wear for a single turn are incredibly not fun.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Seemed like it might be situationally more useful than any of my other SB's so I changed my RW to Leo's Shock if anyone cares. Friend code is jcq6.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

If this U+ fight would stop using Meteor and use Flare instead, I would have 1/1'ed it without issue.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

U fight, entrance Magitek Laser = OHKO. Are you serious?? For a U fight?!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I beat U twice ( because I forgot medal conditions ). Out of roughly 10 S/Ls, 70% of them targeted my Vanille with laser which 1 shot her. >.>

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Yea the Ultimate is overtuned I think. I spent more time healing up than attacking.

I finally learned the best strategy is to take out the armor first so you can buff up on the soldiers, then let loose on the next two rounds.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

completely spaced on medal reqs for U and forgot to bring a slow... took too much damage and lost mastery. idk how i manage but i only ever do this with 60 stamina fights, haha. went back in and swapped gau's powerchain for tempo flurry, switched gordon's PBD out for protectga. with shout + hybrid buff, gau's meteor rage was cleaning up nicely. also brought tyro for multibreak/SG and kain for damage with lightning dive. i had to S/L both attempts a few times because of 6k lasers one-shotting someone before i got a turn in.

U+ i mastered 1/1 with a mage team, i used terra/setzer/relm/kefka/strago. SBs used were prismatic flash, portrait of lakshmi, and sabre soul. RW'ed dusk's decree and had terra serve as the carrier with scholar's boon RM. with a synergy weapon she was close to capping out on command one. lost three people at the end but only 2 damage and 1 KO medal so still mastered.

U++ was quite easy for me, but i brought a mitigation-heavy A-team (beryl serpent, cleansing strike, sentinel's grimoire) and pretty much only used a medica charge at ~25% because yuna was sitting on 3 bars with little else to do. ramza + agrias did most of the damage between unsung hero and saint's cross. everyone had KO resist accessories on, ultimate meteor completely whiffed.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Yeah, I got through the first U fight, barely, by using a mythril reraise and getting some extra ability uses and full SB gauges. But the last round was absolutely brutal. Entered it fully buffed and near full HP, but the three mobs used back-to-back-to-back AoE Laser attacks (Laser Diffuser or something?)... The fight against Guardian was a giant bag of "nope", however. Even with Full Break, of which I only have rank 1, everything I threw at it was doing shit damage. Went invincible at like 75%. Was hoping Lightning Dive would count as 4 attacks, nope. I just ran at that point. Not winning that one unless I dump several mythril into strategically dying.

Plus fights that are basically insta-lose if you let buffs or debuffs wear for a single turn are incredibly not fun.
    You need lightning anyway to break the barrier so I think it's better to just run 3 lightning users to hit weakness. Water gets damage bonus but won't break barrier. What synergy weapons are you taking in? You shouldn't need to take bssbs here - that's basically the premise of realm only CMs after all...

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Celes and Terra carried that fight for me, lol.

sent from the nexus of the emergency department using my AstralTalk™

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Holy shit that U fight just melts my people...

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Mastered U with Relm dead. I was pissed because missile -> diffractive laser almost killed my entire party and Relm was 1 second from getting off a medica. but Beatrix BSB saved the day and I only lost two medals for damage taken.

seriously, that was a U+ fight at minimum, maybe close to U++. shit got turnt up this time around :/ not cool, DeNA! not cool!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Had synergy armor, never saw the initial laser go over ~4.2k which didn't KO anyone. I did run 3 mage/healer/dancer, so everyone had tons of res (probably 350+).

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Ultimate is really pissing me off. I have amazing synergy, twice gotten to the third wave and my second SG goes down and I get wrecked. I may have to ditch drain strike on Cloud for self healing and have him take a thunder strike spell blade to see if that speeds things up.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I hear you. Ultimate is a massive bitch this time around. If you can get through the first wave without using SG it may help; protectga + shellga + magic breakdown on the single Magitek Armor might be enough. Take out the two soldiers ASAP; they are super-weak.

Otherwise, what worked for me was saving up soul breaks for the last wave and spamming AoEs. The Magitek armors only have 50kish health each. Double Beatrix BSB took them down quite quickly.

Also, magic blink if you have it. It works wonders in this fight.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

U killed me more than the U+ and U++ combined