Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The burst mechanic tags in your other character, but your opponent is still hitting your original point character (basically, like an assist punish). Hopefully there isn't any more of that dumbass MVC3 hitstop-on-all-characters that prevents you from saving your other character (it doesn't look like it from the video).

I'm also interested to hear what the anti-infinite system is in this game. All moves can OTG now, but I don't see anyone using MVC2-style roll recovery... are we back to 1 OTG limit? Since tagging doesn't take meter, are you able to tag back and forth in 1 combo? There still has to be some sort of anti-infinite system (since Counter Switch won't work if one character is dead)... maybe that system will account for multiple tags. In a perfect world, they'd bring back undizzies and leave HSD in the boneyard.

--

There's kind of a hidden thread in that whole mashing-light-buttons tangent. One of the links above from press who played it said that "there is no simple mode." Obviously that is not a binding decision on the retail version, but I was thinking about the repercussions if they include the mashing-lights-for-combo as a standard feature and it actually addresses one of the major problems I had with MVC3: mashing rapid fire Ls as anti-air hit confirm to combo (e.g. Magneto, Nova).

This was an incredibly dumb addition in MVC3. In MVC2 it didn't work for two reasons: 1) in MVC2, LP autochained to MP and LK autochained to MK, so rapid fire Ls were not possible, and 2) in pre-MVC3 Marvel, opponents would get knocked away too quickly to do extended ground juggles as a hitconfirm. But if mashing light automatically executes a chain combo, rapid fire LP or LK won't work as an anti-air without being unsafe on block. Win/win.

The decision to go back to PPKK (and end Niitsuma's LMH reign of terror) is also a huge upgrade from MVC3. Not quite sure how launchers work though, as some of the combos don't quite make sense. Maybe there are command normals?

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

D+HP is a launcher, D+HK is a sweep/knockdown, problem solved.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The fact that everything OTGs, the Infinity Stone system, & no assists in this game really lends itself to the idea that someone who is getting more into the game can continue to play characters they enjoy instead of being enticed into picking the current top tier. Stone system basically replaces not only the need for a 3rd character but also X-Factor like comebacks, which is amazing. Can sit down, pick two characters, and a gem, and experiment as much as you can. Hasn't felt this good thinking about the possibilities since Marvel 1.

Really interested in how the other stones work now--- if we assume that the Soul Stone revives a team mate with even 10~20% health remaining, it could lead to some pretty clutch moments.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I mean...its basically a souped up groove system.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    The fact that everything OTGs, the Infinity Stone system, & no assists in this game really lends itself to the idea that someone who is getting more into the game can continue to play characters they enjoy instead of being enticed into picking the current top tier. Stone system basically replaces not only the need for a 3rd character but also X-Factor like comebacks, which is amazing. Can sit down, pick two characters, and a gem, and experiment as much as you can. Hasn't felt this good thinking about the possibilities since Marvel 1.

Really interested in how the other stones work now--- if we assume that the Soul Stone revives a team mate with even 10~20% health remaining, it could lead to some pretty clutch moments.
    Or imagine if the meta evolved around MU/stone comp. Imagine if I play point Hulk and I'm up against a zoning team. I'd probably want to play Space stone to box people in when I have an opportunity, or whichever one that lets you air dash through projectiles. Playing another rush down? Maybe switch to power to shit on pixie characters who make bad mistakes.

The possibilities really open up when you don't have to structure your team around 1 assist character.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    Or imagine if the meta evolved around MU/stone comp. Imagine if I play point Hulk and I'm up against a zoning team. I'd probably want to play Space stone to box people in when I have an opportunity, or whichever one that lets you air dash through projectiles. Playing another rush down? Maybe switch to power to shit on pixie characters who make bad mistakes.

The possibilities really open up when you don't have to structure your team around 1 assist character.
    Yeah it does, and I think this will be the true beauty of the game if they play it correctly.

However, it will be very interesting in how this concept will work in this day and age, where devs can (and will) constantly tweak and change shit that they deem broken. In this case, it'll probably be best to have as light a hand on the game as possible, just sticking to game breaking bugs and glitches instead.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

looks pretty interesting, the gem that puts you in that box has potential for some dirty mixup fun

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    D+HP is a launcher, D+HK is a sweep/knockdown, problem solved.
    Chun's launcher is s.HK animation, so I doubt it's c.HP. There are other not-announced characters for whom this would also be an issue (e.g. Nova, Strange, Wolvie, She-Hulk, etc.), though I suppose they could get different launchers like Iron Man did.

But in general, there is something weird going on with the normals. I'll use this video for reference. (button assignments are best guesses)

0:24 - Hulk does Gamma Charge (which launches with hard knockdown), OTG c.LK-c.HP, sj.LP-LK- and then what was his MVC3 air H followed by MVC3 air S. So do we have MVC2-style MPs during chains (sj.LP-LK-MP-HP)? Or does his air RH possibly have the sj.S animation (so sj.LP-LK-HP-HK)?

Then he does s.HP (which now wall bounces, unlike ground bounce in MVC3). Right after that, there's a jump cut to Hulk doing diagonal Gamma Charge into MVC2 j.RH, so either that's a canned followup or Hulk somehow has 3 different air punches. Maybe air command normals?

0:42 - Strider does j.HP, s.LP-s.HP-s.HK-c.HK(??)-satellite

1:03 - Ultron does c.LP-c.HK(knockdown)-c.HP?

So either the chain system works differently in this game (not the old magic series) or there's something else going on here.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    I missed this earlier, but most of these thing you list increase character viability, not decrease it.

1) Assists cover the flaws of otherwise insufficient characters. In a version of MVC2/3 that was strictly 1v1, there would be a lot of 8-2 matches (or worse). If you're a character without an airdash, chances are your life would get much worse without assists.

2) Assist-only characters pretty much went away in UMVC3. The three best arguments otherwise are Strange, Doom, and Haggar, but Strange and Doom are arguably the two best backline damage engines in the game, and Haggar (like Hulk) is a legitimately scary point character. And then you add the following:

3) XF3 flattens tiers. If XF3 existed in MVC2, then you would see so many people losing entire teams to XF3 Psylocke or Cammy or Ken that the idea of "assist-only" characters loses meaning. XF3 allows all but the most impotent characters to solokill off one hit, and makes it a LOT easier to get that hit (essentially, the thing that makes a character a "good anchor" is how easy it is to get a hit in XF3).

You mentioned MVC1, which is useful because that game had an incredibly rigid top tier (Red Venom, Strider, War Machine, Gold War Machine, Wolverine) and most of the characters in the game were totally hopeless. MSHvSF and XMvSF were not much better.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Rocket Raccoon with Groot teaser lol.

https://twitter.com/marvelvscapcom/s...09421222350848

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Some rumor stuff from neogaf (this game is due out in 3 months and we still don't even know the fucking roster, God this game is gonna be a fucking train wreck)

- 28 character launch roster, I know all of them but 1 for sure and I think I might know who the last one is.
    - No Ace Attorney, Viewtiful Joe, Final Fight or Okami characters. No Ms. Marvel, no X-Men or F4 to speak of.
    - Of the remaining cast there's one returning MvC2 character, nine characters coming back from 3 (ten if the last character is who I think it is) and only four more newcomers.
    - I know of one DLC character besides Sigma and he's coming back from MvC2, not sure if he's scheduled for this year or next year.

Also apparently one more female character, and Black Panther will likely be DLC

Edit :

Arthur
    Chris
    Chun-Li
    Dante
    Firebrand
    Jedah
    Monster Hunter
    Morrigan
    Nemesis
    Ryu
    Spencer
    Strider Hiryu
    X

Ant-Man
    Captain America
    Captain Marvel
    Doctor Strange
    Gamora
    Hawkeye
    Hulk
    Iron Man
    Nova
    Rocket/Groot (this is how the character was named to me; I’m not sure if it’s just Rocket Raccoon with Groot assists or a redesigned character actually called Rocket/Groot)
    Spider-Man
    Thanos
    Thor
    Ultron

One character missing from the Capcom side, but otherwise that's apparently the launch roster.

Ryce posted it, that means you can pretty much treat it as gospel.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Some of Capcom's decisions are just mind-boggling.

One of the most hype parts of MVC3 was the one-by-one character reveal trailers. But instead of that, we get weeks of nothing, followed by an unceremonious dump of a dozen characters, followed by more weeks of nothing.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

No Ms. Marvel
    Captain Marvel
    Aren't they the same person?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not anymore. Ms Marvel is a muslim body stretcher.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Pretty shit-tier roster if the leak is true. Jedah over John Talbain? Bleh.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by grantlogan View Post
    Not anymore. Ms Marvel is a muslim body stretcher.
    I see. I wasn't aware of a new Ms. Marvel (don't really read comics). Is she someone people actually wanted in the game?

Edit: I see she apparently was in contest of champions so I guess people expected her to show up in this too.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

This could somehow be worse than SFV. Looks like they are going to milk the fuck out of people with DLC from the very get go.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    This could somehow be worse than SFV. Looks like they are going to milk the fuck out of people with DLC from the very get go.
    On par, at least. Between the terrible plastic "action-figure" look of the characters, the massive DLC Cashcom is cockslapping their fans with before release, and a roster this bad? Ungh. So many characters I wanted; John Talbain, Juri, Star-Lord/Drax, list goes on and on.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Some rumor stuff from neogaf (this game is due out in 3 months and we still don't even know the fucking roster, God this game is gonna be a fucking train wreck)

- 28 character launch roster, I know all of them but 1 for sure and I think I might know who the last one is.
    - No Ace Attorney, Viewtiful Joe, Final Fight or Okami characters. No Ms. Marvel, no X-Men or F4 to speak of.
    - Of the remaining cast there's one returning MvC2 character, nine characters coming back from 3 (ten if the last character is who I think it is) and only four more newcomers.
    - I know of one DLC character besides Sigma and he's coming back from MvC2, not sure if he's scheduled for this year or next year.

Also apparently one more female character, and Black Panther will likely be DLC

Edit :

Arthur
    Chris
    Chun-Li
    Dante
    Firebrand
    Jedah
    Monster Hunter
    Morrigan
    Nemesis
    Ryu
    Spencer
    Strider Hiryu
    X

Ant-Man
    Captain America
    Captain Marvel
    Doctor Strange
    Gamora
    Hawkeye
    Hulk
    Iron Man
    Nova
    Rocket/Groot (this is how the character was named to me; I’m not sure if it’s just Rocket Raccoon with Groot assists or a redesigned character actually called Rocket/Groot)
    Spider-Man
    Thanos
    Thor
    Ultron

One character missing from the Capcom side, but otherwise that's apparently the launch roster.
    Frank West is said to be the missing character on the Capcom side and Venom is the returning MvC2 character.