+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Skullgirls is at about a mil on Steam, but generally yes fighting games are just not a hot ticket on PC. The games are super dependent on a thriving player base, and that will always be stronger on console. The experience also generally isn't *that* much better on PC, since you're always looking at a 60 fps cap and most fighting games (outside of Tekken 7) are probably already running at 1080p on the consoles.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The lack of crossplay on MVCI is a killer. It doesn't make sense for anyone to buy anything but the PS4 version (at least, for the time being; I'll definitely buy it on Steam once it goes on sale, just to avoid future license issues).

I was originally going to use this opportunity to get off PS4 and fulltime a Steambox-type solution as my main "console." I bought an Alienware Alpha R2, but it's not ready for primetime (too many controller issues) and I returned it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

I agree. I hope eventually Sony pulls the stick out of its collective ass and allows crossplay for every game.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Welp:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170925...apcom_infinite

That is just straight embarrassing...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

And people say that Switch is going to fail. Pfft.

(lol)

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    And people say that Switch is going to fail. Pfft.

(lol)
    because there are so many fighting game options on the switch that compete with each other

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

No defense of it's poor sales, but whoever in this thread actually thought it'd sell ok after the PR Disaster that is SFV, then.. I mean, ???

The problem with MVCI is that stupid fucking story was pushed down our throats in advertisement WAY too hard, and my lord are the visuals there absolute trash. If it focused on the nutty gameplay that actually looks neat, things may be different.

That and you know, if the game weren't ugly as fuck and the roster wasn't Disney/Marvel putting their foot down wanting all their movieverse characters in.

Anyway, sales or w/e are just that. Whatever, at least to us, the consumer. If you like it, then play it. If you don't want to play it/buy it as to not support Capcom, then that's on you. We'll see how long it lasts.

BG Level

I don’t think anyone in their right mind thought this was going to be successful. That isn’t any reason not to post the stats. The game is legit embarrassing and looks like it came out a decade before it’s predecessors. It’s bad business practice and should be strung up as such.

Hopefully, CAPCOM can learn from the mistakes they have been making, fire John D, outsource netcode again, and actually put a strong FG product out in the market again. In the meantime, Dragonball is going to take everyone’s money and center stage too, if they decide to have a large $ circuit, which I’m certain they will considering how much money that is going to make across the US, EU, and Asia. The amount of detail in that game compared to MCVI is night and day.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think most of the people criticizing MVCI's week 1 sales have probably never seen the sales numbers for MVC3 or MVC2.

I guess we'll see, but from googling it seems like MVC3 sold over 600k copies across PS3 and X360 combined for the first week.

Edit: UMVC3, however completely bombed

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    I don’t think anyone in their right mind thought this was going to be successful. That isn’t any reason not to post the stats. The game is legit embarrassing and looks like it came out a decade before it’s predecessors. It’s bad business practice and should be strung up as such.

Hopefully, CAPCOM can learn from the mistakes they have been making, fire John D, outsource netcode again, and actually put a strong FG product out in the market again. In the meantime, Dragonball is going to take everyone’s money and center stage too, if they decide to have a large $ circuit, which I’m certain they will considering how much money that is going to make across the US, EU, and Asia. The amount of detail in that game compared to MCVI is night and day.
    It's not a John D or outsourced netcode problem. John D is completely shitty, awful, terrible, etc, but he's not the root of what's made the last two capcom games play awful/look awful.

I do wonder how much DBFZ will sell. Both Xenoverse did solid. Wonder if it'll get that crowd + the FGC crowd.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd really expect DBFZ to sell like crazy. Hype for Dragonball in general is high with actual new content coming out, it's being made by well known and respected developers, and obviously looks visually incredible. And as we've seen with MvCI, visual/audio presentation goes a long fucking way.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    It's not a John D or outsourced netcode problem. John D is completely shitty, awful, terrible, etc, but he's not the root of what's made the last two capcom games play awful/look awful.

I do wonder how much DBFZ will sell. Both Xenoverse did solid. Wonder if it'll get that crowd + the FGC crowd.
    Last 2? Mvci does look awful but it definitely doesn't play awful or at the very least it's too early to tell.

Also the netcode is fantastic not sure why that comes up lol

BG Level

I was stating some of the steps they should take to get back on track, which included firing John D and once again, outsourcing the net-code, because apparently it is solid and they hired someone else to do the work. As we can see with SFV, the result is disaster when they try themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    I was stating some of the steps they should take to get back on track, which included firing John D and once again, outsourcing the net-code, because apparently it is solid and they hired someone else to do the work. As we can see with SFV, the result is disaster when they try themselves.
    While they are at it, they can outsource their graphics to ArcSys.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    I'd really expect DBFZ to sell like crazy. Hype for Dragonball in general is high with actual new content coming out, it's being made by well known and respected developers, and obviously looks visually incredible. And as we've seen with MvCI, visual/audio presentation goes a long fucking way.
    Outside of the singular factor of the DBZ license, all of that was present for Xrd, which sold far less than SFV.

Maybe DBZF will be ArcSys' first title ever with really big sales; I don't know. But as far as I can tell, no DBZ game has broken 1m NA sales since the Budokai series, and the last one to do that was in 2007. If DBZF can even match SFV's sales - a standard which is held up in these parts as a pathetic failure - it would be an enormous success for ArcSys.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Sorry, I really don't see it. Tbh, with the new content coming out from DBZ (or Super now), a ton of folks actually don't like a lot of what DBS is doing.. so I wouldn't say that's a big factor. Truthfully, I do think it'll outsell Capcom's games (probably combined), but beyond that I don't think it'll be a HUGE hit/sell like crazy, unless we have different takes on what sell like crazy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chun Liroy View Post
    Last 2? Mvci does look awful but it definitely doesn't play awful or at the very least it's too early to tell.

Also the netcode is fantastic not sure why that comes up lol
    Sorry I should have separated that better I guess. What I meant by 'play awful/look awful' was SF5 mostly played awful while MvC:I looked awful. Again, wasn't clear on that. Tried shorthanding it too much. My bad.

I've said on twitter and here, I think Marvel looks like it's fun and plays crazy, and netcode seems pretty damned great, but it's booty buttcheeks fugly, Haha.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Outside of the singular factor of the DBZ license, all of that was present for Xrd, which sold far less than SFV.
    I'm sure I'm the minority opinion on this like I am on most things, but I think Xrd looks pretty shitty compared to old GG and even BB. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I also don't know what other new GG content was coming out to hype people up to buy it. So, all we're left with is being made by well known and respected developers. That alone was enough for me to buy Xrd, whereas I still haven't picked up SFV. I'm also almost certainly going to buy DBFZ within a relatively short time of its PC launch, but will probably wait for the inevitable first repack in a year or so before I touch MvC:I.

If DBZF can even match SFV's sales - a standard which is held up in these parts as a pathetic failure - it would be an enormous success for ArcSys.
    Stop that. I know you're not dumb enough to think SFV's sales are an absolute benchmark with no consideration to the size of the studio/publisher.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm not saying they are an absolute benchmark. I'm saying that sales benchmarks are in the eye of the beholder, and for fighting games in 2017, they aren't a very useful one.

Look at MKX, KOF13, UMVC3, Injustice 1, Xrd:S. Which of those games were "failures"? Sales tells you one thing, longevity of interest tells you another. If we're talking about straight sales numbers, MK has been the heavyweight of the FGC since MK9's release and Tekken is the all-time king of the genre BY FAR, while Marvel has never been anything more than a low-selling side brand of a behemoth developer. But when you look at longevity of interest, Tekken and MK are low-hanging fruit that have mastered capturing the casual audience with each new release, while SF and Marvel are the lifeblood of the community. Even a "widely hated" new version of SF absolutely crushes every other game in the FGC when it comes to entrants and views, including the games that outsell it.

I don't think DBZF will get enough sales to fall into the category of casual money vacuum, and I guess we'll see whether the people clamoring for it today drop it two weeks after release to go play the new flavor of the month. So which standard does it need to meet to be considered a "success"? Does it need to get more entrants/views at Evo than MVCI, or does it merely need to get more sales than Xrd:R2?

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    But when you look at longevity of interest, Tekken and MK are low-hanging fruit that have mastered capturing the casual audience with each new release, while SF and Marvel are the lifeblood of the community. Even a "widely hated" new version of SF absolutely crushes every other game in the FGC when it comes to entrants and views, including the games that outsell it.
    Except for the part where SFV's registration and CPT viewer numbers have been on a decline since season 1.