BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Well AP can get up to a bit over 8k with full tp and capped pdif but probably wont always be capped tp and I even noticed armor shatterer doing a lot. I've found in general actually ranged auto doing better I think a bit due to defense but I think some might just be weak too it.

Speaking of ranged autos being good a couple doing a well timed overdrive can make Fu pretty Fun. Thanks to that only took about 8-10 minutes this time. Like took as long to get it to 75 as it did to get it to 0 from there and that was with me messing up and accidentally getting tp on a master which stopped wss for a good minute

Did similar with unleash + pentapeck self light spam. Fun times.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Any way that a pet party can reliably kill Thinker? He's murdering our pet runs as just one slip up with an automaton ws or bst ja during his Pain Sync prep is an unfair game over...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Haven't tried it yet but idea was having was use Harlequin Frame to tank so that even if it does a ws at a bad time it's just lol magic mortar then command pets to use moves right when you see another move go off or right after sync finishes. Using autos for dmg is kind of a non starter though.

Even using retrieve as soon as it starts will almost result in wiping your autos even at higher hps. Which is somewhat recoverable at higher hps but at lower it uses another move as soon as you get in range and will wipe them again before you can even get full maneuvers back up. Sadly at least for me it doesn't use it nearly enough analyzer/steam jacket to help much (god they were good on the ambuscade frog though. Move does 200-400 to them 20k to masters lol) but uses it often enough that your autos can easily die with dues ex down

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

True, but unfortunately, the automatons just know when to AP as it readies Pain Sync and Retrieve is not going to stop it. We have been 2 BSTs 1 PUP and it's just not working out.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah that's why I was thinking have the auto purely for tanking and make sure it doesn't do dmg. Use more controllable forms for the actual dmg

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

BST is hard to play effectively against it from my POV. Just last night I used a ready as soon as another TP move finished and in the time it took RF to charge up it ticked over into PS charge time and wiped us.

Was one of those "you have got to be fucking kidding me" moments.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Could play around with different moves. Their is noticeably different ready times. I don't really remember them all anymore but iirc the Foot kick is exceedingly fast. Otherwise you pretty much have to hit ready as soon as you see the move isn't PS before it even finishes

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The only issue I see with this is whether pure pet auto-attacks will do enough damage to actually kill him fast enough.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    The only issue I see with this is whether pure pet auto-attacks will do enough damage to actually kill him fast enough.
    I've tanked Thinker a few times on Pup. and burned him down on bst another. Never had trouble keeping the automaton alive or controlling hate. First pet party handled him just fine. 2nd one did also.
    3rd pet party failed due to timeout but cuz 1 was mediocre and another kept dieing from pain sync cuz they didn't pay attention well enough. First time I used 1/2 a dozen dawn mulsum, 2nd time I didn't need any (change configuration a bit).

It depends on the group, but a good pet group can reliably take down thinker. That's not auto-attacks tho. bst are going in and using ready moves. just only use them when he is readying a move that is NOT pain sync. Heel when he starts pain sync.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    Naw no one is saying auto -attacks... probably wont be enough and if it was then you'd be doing enough for pain sync to get you. Just gotta very very carefully time the strong pet moves and make sure the tank isn't doing much in the way of dmg since pulling it back is problematic.

You can actually sort of do it with autos. Tried it once with 1 tanking set to deal little dmg then had another one that I'd deploy with tp right when I saw another move then retrieve when it has tp to ws again rinse repeat. Of course at that point you are basically use pup like bst.... except more complicated, less dmg and still need tp lol. So ended up saying F it trying to do that tribox

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

The group I'm with takes down Thinker easily with a x2 PUP, 1 SMN, x2 COR, 1 GEO setup. Though it took us a while to figure out a foolproof way to make sure Pain Sync became a non-issue, we figured it out after some trial & error.

Step 1 - Make sure Companion's Roll isn't given to the PUP using the tanking Automaton. That way it lessens the chance of a Bone Crusher going off at a bad time
    Step 2 - The other PUP (that's me usually with RNG puppet) stands by, watching each TP move while my Automaton builds up TP. I do not Deploy my Automaton, it is standing with me while it stores TP via regain from Companion's Roll. The SMN though, can send in his avatar, as it's melee hits are insignificant damage for the most part
    Step 3 - I use Deploy after I see that the Thinker's TP move is not Pain Sync (puppet will use a WS) and immediately Retrieve. If the TP move is Pain Sync, do not Deploy until after Pain Sync is finished. The same applies for the SMN with regard to BP Rage
    Step 4 - Rinse/Repeat until dead.

However, at the start of the fight, our SMN likes to go ham with Astral Flow/Astral Conduit and spam Volt Strikes like nobody's business in order to speed things up. This, of course, results in capped damage Pain Sync to the tanking puppet. This is where the 2nd puppet comes in! Once the tank puppet goes down, the DD puppet can kite Thinker around and take some hits while the other PUP uses Deus Ex and sends his puppet back onto Thinker. Once his puppet uses Voke and/or Flash to establish itself onto the hate list, I deactivate to dump all hate and Activate again. Once that's done, follow the strategy above and it's a very easy fight after that.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Enfeebling the ever loving shit out of it still pays dividends and keeps Pain Sync to a minimum and makes him favor WoP drastically.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Neoex View Post
    Enfeebling the ever loving shit out of it still pays dividends and keeps Pain Sync to a minimum and makes him favor WoP drastically.
    Except for when he decides to be an asshole. Our last Thinker had 10+ debuffs on him the majority of the time, and he was still doing 5-10 Pain Syncs in a row at low HP, with zero time between to even swing. We timed out with so much of our time spent turned around.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've still yet to ever see the move. Granted only get a couple of debuffs on it but really it's still gunna do what it's gunna do. All you can do is give a bit of a better chance of it using WoP but not something you can really rely on

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

still stand behind the fact that glassy thinker doesnt need as much HP as it has

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I think most people agree that Glassy Thinker needs to be adjusted (I think it may happen with Tuesday's patch.) It's doable but it's extremely annoying and frustrating for a lot of group compositions.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So I remember reading something about the specific enemy being a higher lvl is that still true because I could swear I just had a room with a kill spec enemy and everything conned as 127 including the one that finally got my clear

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    So I remember reading something about the specific enemy being a higher lvl is that still true because I could swear I just had a room with a kill spec enemy and everything conned as 127 including the one that finally got my clear
    Byrth said the specific is 129. I never personally had the chance to test it myself.

A gigantic waste of space
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Maurauc Baelfyr
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I've never noticed the specific being higher. I do know the Transcended are 129. Might have been a coincidence that the Transcended was the specific enemy for his time through.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it was just Transcended and I was wrong.