Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battlefield 1 (PC/PS4/XB1)

3 3.16%
  • Civilzation 6 (PC/Mac)

0 0%
  • Dark Souls 3 (PC/PS4/XB1)

11 11.58%
  • Darkest Dungeon (PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/Vita)

4 4.21%
  • Dishonered 2 (PC/PS4/XB1)

0 0%
  • Doom (PC/PS4/XB1)

6 6.32%
  • Far Cry Primal (PC/PS4/XB1)

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy XV (PS4/XB1)

24 25.26%
  • Forza Horizon 3 (PC/XB1)

0 0%
  • Inside (PC/PS4/XB1)

0 0%
  • Last Guardian (PS4)

1 1.05%
  • Monster Hunter Generations (3DS)

0 0%
  • Overwatch (PC/PS4/XB1)

29 30.53%
  • Owlboy (PC)

0 0%
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon (3DS)

3 3.16%
  • Stardew Valley (PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1)

6 6.32%
  • Titanfall 2 (PC/PS4/XB1)

1 1.05%
  • Uncharted 4 (PS4)

6 6.32%
  • The Witness (PC/PS4/XB1/iOS)

1 1.05%
  • XCOM 2 (PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

2016 Blue Gartr Game of the Year Discussion Thread

Unsure if the website has ever done this, but thought it would be a great thing for the whole community to come together to discuss.

For the poll, I tried to go through nominees from major outlets to get the top 20 games that are most likely, so if your GOTY isn't listed (which mine isn't) make your case!

For me, I only played eight 2016 releases:

Final Fantasy XV
    I am Setsuna
    Star Ocean I&F
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
    Mighty Number 9
    Pokemon Sun/Moon
    Bravely Second
    Dragon Quest Builders

Of those, the biggest shining star was Tokyo Mirage Sessions... I don't know, something about it just felt so perfect as I played through it... If not for some tricky localization it felt perfect.

The battles system, while simplistic was flashy with a sense of strategy. The story was definitely basic, but just so cheery and well delivered. And the side story content was just amazing. For a Wii U game it definitely didn't look it. The graphics put it in the perfect space between Persona 4 and Persona 5. It just never disappointed me at all.

Looking forward to everyone else's discussions!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The staff does this every year, a user poll wouldn't be a bad addition.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    The staff does this every year, a user poll wouldn't be a bad addition.
    Ahhh, like I said I was unsure. Really couldn't remember. My bad!

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Stardew Valley, coast to coast best game for me.

Gonna have to give it to Overwatch, probably the biggest impact game for me, and its probably the only game on the list I'll probably be playing 5 years from now.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

In addition, or maybe one of its own, I always like to see the best game anyone played for the first time. If you played FFVII for the first time, it could be someone's best. I like to do this because I know I have a backlog (still have PS1 games in cellophane).

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by theshun View Post
    In addition, or maybe one of its own, I always like to see the best game anyone played for the first time. If you played FFVII for the first time, it could be someone's best. I like to do this because I know I have a backlog (still have PS1 games in cellophane).
    Oh man... that may goto Tales of Xillia. I couldn't really get into Vesperia, but Xillia's writing really got me!

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Statistically speaking, Pokemon Go was the game of the year... it received more Google searches for a brief period than the Presidential candidates in a US election year. I honestly don't like any of the games this year though enough quality-wise to feel they're worthy of 'game of the year' type accolades. Games are really mailing it in lately. EA Sports (Madden, NHL) hasn't had any legendary year titles lately, COD grinds out the same garbage, Battlefield is still running off the same engine with just reskinned games, Pokemon Sun/Moon and FFXV are good but not OMG. I've ironically played my Skyrim PS4 re-release more these past few months than any new game.

idk if i agree with your assessment. It definitely hit the mainstream and had the biggest impact of all these games, but I don't think itself is the game of the year, although the story behind the game and how it was crazy how it got EVERYONE outside.

But I think Game of the Year is a game at the end of the year, you point to and say you really enjoyed that game. Pokemon:GO fizzled out really quickly, and didn't really survive the summer.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Overwatch for me; really became a massive cultural phenomenon as well

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Pokemon Go was GOTY for like 2 months. Not long enough. And if we were voting on overall shitstorm caused by a videogame, No Man's Sky should have been a candidate as well.

I wanted to vote Stardew Valley, because I personally enjoy it the most of all the candidates, but as far as overall achievement in the gaming community and long-term impact I had to go with Overwatch. Shit's fun as fuck and very polished, its flaws are few compared to the joy it brings to millions every day.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Of the games I played (that came out this year), I'd probably give it to Deus Ex: Mankind divided. Really enjoyed that game.

https://www.google.com/trends/yis/2016/US

Video Games
    1) Slither.io
    2) Agar.io
    3) Overwatch
    4) Battlefield 1
    5) Warcraft
    6) Dark Souls 3
    7) Blade and Soul
    8) Madden 17
    9) No Mans Sky
    10) Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Granted, Pokemon: Go must have gotten snubbed for video games because it won other categories.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

This year I played...

World of Final Fantasy
    Pokemon Sun/Moon
    Grand Kingdom
    Overwatch
    Dark Souls III
    Salt and Sanctuary
    Street Fighter 5

and a number of older on-sale games.

Ultimately I regret buying SF5 and DS3 because I found I didn't enjoy them nor did I find myself wanting to return to them. The only value DS3 brought me was a greater appreciation of Bloodborne (which I can't oversell).

Grand Kingdom + Salt and Sanctuary filled nice specific itches of "strategy-RPG-ish" and "until Dark Souls 3 comes out". GK ate a solid 2 months of my time and got me into documenting a lot of the shit for that game because the only useful resource was in Japanese and ain't nobody in this game's non-JP fanbase.

Overwatch I pop in every now and again but I'm hitting certain skill ceilings on shooters, especially on console. Plus I don't hop on with friends enough. It's still probably my favorite in the genre though.

World of Final Fantasy, to me, is basically FF13-2-2. In that, I enjoyed 13-2 on the merits of its gameplay and little else. WoFF though has a respectable story in the final 1/4th or so and I found myself quite invested in it. Ate a solid 60 hours to the true ending with plenty of room for postgame. I may come back to it yet. I'd give this one my gold star for the year sort of by default. I have some severe issues with the UI design but it's an extremely solid classic-style JRPG and goes right up there with Bravely Default as "best not-main-series-FF-games".

I haven't been really into Pokemon since 4th gen, having picked up JP White and Y but not being totally into either. In preparation of Sun/Moon I got Omega Ruby and rekindled my interest. Sun/Moon is about as groundbreaking as it gets with a sort of interesting story, some pretty good writing/localizing, and some of the coolest designs seen in some time (Golisopod representing). I have way too many hours poured into this and it'll bleed heavily into the next year. Which is good since it means I don't have to be tempted by other games until I see some big fat sales.

I have been pretty tempted to look at FFXV despite being extremely wary of it for basically forever. But it's veering dangerously into "looks like MGS5 / Dragon's Dogma" which is a weak point for me.

I'd say the biggest lesson this year taught me is that if I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna like it, buy physical or just ignore it until large sale. Made more impulse buys than I would have liked to.

Games I wanted to play but was willing to just wait for sales:
    Dishonored 2
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    XCOM2
    Final Fantasy XV
    Star Ocean 5 (even on sale it's hard to care though)
    I am Setsuna

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Shit poll, how can you have stuff like MHG, Forza, Last Guardian, and Owlboy and not have World of Final Fantasy? Or at least Deus Ex.

If I had to put a top 5, it would be
    1. World of Final Fantasy
    2-5 in no particular order
    Oxenfree
    Momodora: Reverie Under The Moon
    Dishonored 2
    Republique (I'll count this as 2016 because that's when the final episode launched, it's been slowly coming out for like 3 years)

6-10 again in no particular order because most of my top 5 are really niche
    Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
    VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    Rise of the Tomb Raider (fuck you it wasn't actually out until it was out on PC)
    Overwatch

Honorabru mentions to Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun because I'm really liking it but haven't had enough time with it to know if it bumps any others off the list.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My favorites from the year

Witcher 3 Blood & Wine (yeah yeah it's technically DLC)
    Doom
    X-Com 2
    Dishonored 2
    Uncharted 4
    Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
    Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided
    MH Generations

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with Doom. The single player from that game was by far the best surprise of the year, and the soundtrack was just... woo boy.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

While not entirely this year (since it came out last December), I have to say one of my favorite games was Xenoblade Chronicles X. Probably tied with Final Fantasy XV for me.

I wanted to add on Pokemon Sun and Moon, but I have a few complaints knocking it down a bit...

I really didn't play a ton of games this year though. Finally got over my mmo addiction and can go through all the backlogged games I have.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I chose Doom just because of what it brought back to gaming for me, it was an amazing throwback to the games I used to play growing up on PC. Overwatch was a very very very close second. But Doom was just too good on more than a gameplay level.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I chose Doom just because of what it brought back to gaming for me, it was an amazing throwback to the games I used to play growing up on PC. Overwatch was a very very very close second. But Doom was just too good on more than a gameplay level.
    Ah yes, the good ol' days of not being able to read reviews until significantly after launch. Thank you for bringing that golden era back to us, Doom.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

:shake it like a salt shaker: