1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 27 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 27 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping Potion (OF Post)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

If you can't understand that a bad experience with a tank led me to question what it might be like to play with a potentially large influx of inexperienced players, and that I was - as I've already stated - mostly being humorous before you both jumped on me, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Yuri-G out. Ain't nobody got time for all this.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The best humor is rooted in truth.

Your humorous example was not very good, and therefore neither funny nor insightful.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

"10 minutes" to learn is a bit hyperbolic, cause you still need to learn what the bajillion abilities that got dumped on you do, and build a bit of muscle memories getting accustomed to the optimal rotations.

Still, the learning curve is very short, you can just do a handful of fates and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. The only difference will be maybe that a healer doesn't know how to target other players, a tank that is a bit awkward on the best way to pull in dungeons. But you're gonna catch up on those things fairly fast too, it's not exactly PhD material.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

a bit hyperbolic, of course, but not far off. Your greatest asset is probably some sort of tutorial on building an efficient hotbar/determining which abilities matter, for which there's no shortage of Youtube videos. Muscle memory is what the 10 minutes on a dummy was for

the takeaway is that FATEs and POTD are pretty far removed from all other content types as is, while not being frowned upon as leveling tools. Jump potions and SMN burns and Abyssea leeching and what have you just tickle people in some type of way that makes them forget that they actually learned how their job came together at 50 or 60 or 75 or 99, not while grinding

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    The aforementioned tank who apparently didn't know what Burning Arrow was, that's an example
    I ain't gonna lie. Marksman Hunter on wow has an aoe that left a trail that looked like an ice aoe. It took a bit to realize 'That's not death'

Ya, I still have to coax the occasional tank into my shadow flare lol. Soon as I tell them it slows and hurts the mobs they run in the instant it shows up like I rang a dinner bell.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Yeah, there was just something wrong with this guy, period. He also decided to do a massive pull (cool! I love AoE kills) and then proceeded to run with them all the way to the end of the hallway before we could catch up and died grabbing a treasure chest.

o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    The best humor is rooted in truth.

Your humorous example was not very good, and therefore neither funny nor insightful.
    It was funny to me, which is what counts. My only mistake was responding to both of you in the first place. I won't do it again.

...wait... SHIT

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Muscle memory is a really important part of playing a job in XIV. When you're essentially hitting a button per second (sometimes faster depending on what you're doing), you NEED to not have to think about where your skills are on your bar, and you need to be completely used to using any particular skill when it's best to use it. That's why this is probably the best argument for having people actually play their jobs from start to finish. It's true you won't have your full skill set on your bars until 60, but as far as developing hair-trigger reflexes for using abilities when they're most needed, I think those kind of reflexes take most people weeks to learn. It's being able to analyze a situation and react appropriately that most bads are terrible and need more practice at. Anyone can follow a rotation and step out of ground markers, but for example, not every WHM is going to learn when is the exact right time to use benediction, not every AST is going to learn when it's appropriate to DPS and when it isn't, and not every SCH is going to learn whether to use Eos or Selene for what they're doing. The biggest difference between bads and goods is the ability to learn from experience, and you don't get a lot of experience when you skip all of your job's experiences.

You could theoretically practice on a dummy if you jump straight to 50, but almost no one does that, and anyway it doesn't give you any kind of situational awareness.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

you seem to be casually ignoring that these are all things that most of the playerbase already doesn't how to do, and they've had plenty of practice

people that want to be good DPS, or who want to know how to balance their healing or tanking with proper respectable DPS, do. People who don't, don't. The number of times they ran Aurum Vale does not matter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

One of the biggest issues with XIV though is the complete change in skillsets for DPS classes from the 50-60 jump. The biggest case would be black mage learning fire IV at level60 and basically having to learn an entirely new rotation that includes managing enochian and procs that come in.

The worst part of learning dragoon was trying to squeeze 10 buttons into an easy to reach format while throwing in oGCDs. Original I used my MMO mouse to have 1-6 for HWIDDCT4 and then 7-12 ITTFTVT4. Then I found out how unmanageable that was and learned how to use /hotbar copy to swap 1-6 between those two combos.

There's muscle memory. There's proper UI setups. There's knowledge of your classes in order to maximize potentials in various fights. (Ex. TP depletion in A9S w/o BRD/MCH or managing buffs between jumps with A10S and A11S.) Its a lot of work that the level grind doesn't really do much to prepare.

When I leveled WHM from 1-50 in ARR 2.0 and got introduced to Ifrit (Hard) I got dunked on. Then I got dunked on by Garuda and didn't want to touch Titan (The tomestone grind was also the huge limiting factor on that part). Token's will help people get to start of the latest expansion. They'll do their grind up there and be basically as experienced as any player will be. From Yoshida's post I don't think they're thinking about implementing a jump that'll let you get past the current expansion.
    ____

If I were to jump as a LNC I'd end up as a 50 DRG and 15 MRD with all job related quests and the story up to 2.55 done. I'd pick up i120 gear with Silver feathers and I'd be on my way through the HW storyline. You got some time before you end up fighting against Ravana (Your first story instanced fight if you ignore everything ARR) and then you do Sohm Al. So there's a buffer for someone to spend 3 levels figuring out combos (Unless they find Dusk Vigil then 1). They still have to go through a lot of content.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

another good point. There are a handful of jobs that have their 1-50 identity completely overhauled at 60. NIN, BLM, BRD, MCH(?), SMN, WAR(to a lesser extent) that I can think of off the top of my head. No matter how you got to 50 on those jobs, you're basically learning an entirely new job when you head toward the current level cap

anyway, I've made my point. This is literally an argument as old as powerleveling in XI. I'll leave it in the time capsule where I found it

jump potions are coming- please look forward to it

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    I gave that as an example of what playing with someone who doesn't know the game well might be like.

I said I'd prefer to play with someone who has practiced their job, not that you need 50 entire levels to be competent.

Are you trolling me? Because if so, good job.
    How about in the case of BLM - where you literally can't practice your job until you hit 60?

New Merits
    BG Level

XIV:ARR - Content so great people are willing to pay to not have to play it.

If you're making games that aren't fun or thought provoking... what are you doing? ($$$)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

To be fair people are paying to skip 1-100 in WoW. Hell the selling point of pre-ordering legion was to get straight to level cap.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Aleth View Post
    XIV:ARR - Content so great people are willing to pay to not have to play it.

If you're making games that aren't fun or thought provoking... what are you doing? ($$$)
    dunno but leveling in 14 isnt fun. so if you have the option to skip why not?

Leveling teaches you shit. that also true for XI because endgame and exp pts differ alot!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Skipping leveling in XIV? Of the the pan and into the fire if you catch my cold.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Funny, I find leveling in XIV one of the more fun things to do. Because I don't enjoy (pointless) crafting and running dungeons/raids ad nauseum, one of the only things left was leveling up jobs, which you have the freedom to do quite a few ways at least.
    I like the character story you get every few levels. If leveling is excised I wonder if they'll only make a few quests for the new jobs, instead of the usual every 5 levels from 30.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

People have different tastes. I personally find the levelling to be fucking boring as every piece of content is faceroll.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    People have different tastes. I personally find the levelling to be fucking boring as every piece of content is faceroll.
    For good players, that's literally everything in the game except the savage raids, though.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    For good players, that's literally everything in the game except the savage raids, though.
    I wouldn't even say its for good players. If you have basic competency, everything except for the current raid tier is faceroll.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast