1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 41 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 41 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping Potion (OF Post)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I dunno people were selling the $20 platinum bangle for like 3-5 million back when weddings were a new thing.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Yeah that top part hasn't happened in a long long time.
    I know. It's why I don't enjoy MMOs very much anymore. I've said this before, that the entire gaming community mindset seems to have shifted from "work hard as a community to tackle difficult shit and get your rewards eventually" to "gimme now, I'll pay extra money for it, oh and I don't want to do any hard work to develop my character, and I don't want to play with other people unless I absolutely have to". We can probably blame the mental shift in large part on mobile gaming, the "press button get instant reward" feeling that comes with the cash shops and and all. Most casual gamers, which make up a large part of the major MMOs' playerbase, work on this mindset.

Because I know many people like to say "well we've grown up and we don't have time for shit that takes as long as XI took anymore", but again, the number of teenagers and college kids in the world playing MMOs hasn't dropped just because we got old. They're all still there and they could play a game like XI. They just don't want to, because the mentality has changed.

Well, unless you have an alternative to solution to people having different desires at different times of the day, content either needs to be intelligently scalar or as low-man friendly as possible as soon as possible. In the end, it never universally struck me as people not wanting to do things, but merely the rate at which they can even (repeatedly) attempt to is fucked by logistics and unreasonable peer expectations.

Stuff like time gating and lockouts just muddies the equation, but nonetheless dissuade people from experimenting or helping when they've got some extra time on their hands. I know I ultimately scoff at people flipping their shit over the potions as the leveling process typically isn't what is expected of the dungeon/raid scene thanks to mechanics. And when it comes to stuff like rotations, I can't say I've played any MMO that really tries to teach people what should be expected. The enforcement of gear reqs is only one part of the equation in the fear of bads. To this day, I will continue to assert the WASD control scheme is terrible for a high-ability bloat, yet you'll also have people who flip their shit if one or two button macros could be a thing because some nebulous pre-req of personal skill and responsibility is violated by its presence.

I know I like to argue for mechanical improvements for the genre on a various per-issue basis, but sometimes people just need to get over themselves, too.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I have a question:

Does this set the going rate for RMT at $25 per 300k gil?
    If you like being ripped off probably haha.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    If you like being ripped off probably haha.
    I'm sure lots of people will thank the lord and saviour Yoshi-P for allowing them the chance to give him their money for so much gil

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Clearly the 300k is what people are paying $25 for

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    Clearly the 300k is what people are paying $25 for
    That's not what we're saying. We're saying some people are stupid enough to do that.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    That's not what we're saying. We're saying some people are stupid enough to do that.
    ^.

Though looking at some RMT sites, they stay in business due to Balmung alone.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

"B-b-b-b-b-b-but I need gil to buy more collosseum galeras m(_ _)m"

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I know. It's why I don't enjoy MMOs very much anymore. I've said this before, that the entire gaming community mindset seems to have shifted from "work hard as a community to tackle difficult shit and get your rewards eventually" to "gimme now, I'll pay extra money for it, oh and I don't want to do any hard work to develop my character, and I don't want to play with other people unless I absolutely have to". We can probably blame the mental shift in large part on mobile gaming, the "press button get instant reward" feeling that comes with the cash shops and and all. Most casual gamers, which make up a large part of the major MMOs' playerbase, work on this mindset.

Because I know many people like to say "well we've grown up and we don't have time for shit that takes as long as XI took anymore", but again, the number of teenagers and college kids in the world playing MMOs hasn't dropped just because we got old. They're all still there and they could play a game like XI. They just don't want to, because the mentality has changed.
    People say that to try and look cool. I remember back then I played with plenty of people in their 20's and 30's who found time to do linkshell events. The game is still there for anyone but sadly I do agree that the mentality of younger kids is horrid. They are used to candy crush and garbage like that, main reason I was shaking my head when Pokemon GO became so popular and how horrid it is as an actual game compared to real games.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

To be fair pokemon GO's novelty wore off pretty damn fast in those kids.

I don't know anyone who still plays it on a regular basis. People who dropped $$$ on it stopped within a month.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    To be fair pokemon GO's novelty wore off pretty damn fast in those kids.

I don't know anyone who still plays it on a regular basis. People who dropped $$$ on it stopped within a month.
    People at the library I work at are still pretty excited about it, possibly because there's 2 gyms in the parking lot and a couple of spawns nearby. But it's most likely because it lets them slack off of work for a while (or, if a patron, keeps their little anklebiters busy for a while).

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Pokemon Go is a great example of something that could've been revolutionary and extraordinary if handled by a company that wasn't staffed almost entirely by amateurs.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I might use a jump potion on RDM when Stormblood comes out, fite me on this boys

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    I still have no idea why they thought linking the two stories was a good idea. Heavensward should have just been a separate story (and you can just start it at level 50) making the original Realm Reborn stuff optional for new players that wanted to catch up to friends or whatever.
    Had they done that heavensward launch would of been a shitstorm on par with 2.0 launch and archeage freshstart servers launch. it served as a floodgate

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    I might use a jump potion on RDM when Stormblood comes out, fite me on this boys
    Can't use jump potions on x-pac jobs. Get rekt nerd.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

noooooooooooooo

well nevermind then, I have no reason to use one. BURN THE POTIONS! DOWN WITH YAMA P!

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I've said this before, that the entire gaming community mindset seems to have shifted from "work hard as a community to tackle difficult shit and get your rewards eventually" to "gimme now, I'll pay extra money for it, oh and I don't want to do any hard work to develop my character, and I don't want to play with other people unless I absolutely have to".
    i.e. get off my lawn

During XI, people complained that things like reducing XP to 75 or making THF Knife a force-popped R/EX drop were handing players rewards with no effort. This is a perpetual complaint; EQ players said it about WoW, too.

If you think things are carebear-status now, wait 10 years. This is the way of gaming; if you don't like it, get out now, because it will always get worse.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

My fear is that they will input this jump potion, but continue as they have been with the MSQ. I think both (the jumping potion and moving the junk part of the MSQ into side quests) need to be done imo - but if they don't include a jump potion with the expansion, I feel it will just show that its a cash grab, not actually trying to keep new players playing.

If they want to make a quick buck, they will not give a jump potion to new players for free and leave the MSQ a shitheap. If they want to actually improve new player retention and get better long term income - they will do both.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

to be fair on the thief knife thing I've heard horror stories of people who spent like 10m gil the day before it was changed to a pop lol. that would piss me off too