1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 40 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 12 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping Potion (OF Post)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah. Sophia Ex has a raid DPS requirement of like 7k. Its a joke. Nidhogg (ex) is harder content.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    I wouldn't even say its for good players. If you have basic competency, everything except for the current raid tier is faceroll.
    If you have to define "basic competency" in such a way that attempting to clear EX primals in DF (not PF) will result in an overwhelming majority of failed attempts, perhaps your definition is flawed.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    If you have to define "basic competency" in such a way that attempting to clear EX primals in DF (not PF) will result in an overwhelming majority of failed attempts, perhaps your definition is flawed.
    Wot? Maybe i'm missing your point, but I'm defining basic competency as being able to do basic mechanics and do acceptable dps. Mechanically and dps check wise, Sophia is ridiculously tame for an extreme primal. Nidhog and Knights of the Realm were better fights mechanically and (for Nidhog) dps check wise when they were released (although Nidhog was released when people far overgeared it as it was a catch up patch and Knights of the Realm had a really lax dps check.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think your definition of "basic competency" is more accurately phrased as basic competency for veteran MMO players, which is not quite the same thing as "basic" competency.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I think your definition of "basic competency" is more accurately phrased as basic competency for veteran MMO players, which is not quite the same thing as "basic" competency.
    I'm not a veteran MMO player. This is my first MMO. It really isn't that hard to play this game, i'm not particularly good at gaming in general and I manage it.

New Merits
    BG Level

Given that they had a chance to rework FFXIV with ARR they had the opportunity to design a game where all the content is actually entertaining and rewarding to play. Levelling, story and end-game.

It's hard to see the introduction of a method of skipping content by paying real money as anything but a symptom of core design errors.

If levelling isn't fun or rewarding then find another way to introduce a feeling of progression. If the story is boring and full of fetch-quests... how about not making the story feel like a montage of some of anime's worst filler episodes?

If getting to play cooperatively with friends is heavily gated by either of these two things - perhaps design a game where story, level or gear progression is tangential to a non-gated, accessible co-op core to the game that can reward players in ways that are meaningful regardless of previous time investment.

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    People have different tastes.
    Quoted for truth. This is why separating out the various progression systems from the core content (multiplayer co-op PvE) is how you avoid this mess. Imagine a cartoon spider where the head and body are the over-world and co-op combat content. The legs are things like story, crafting, levelling, dungeons, raids, trials, PvP. Now you can allow links between legs... but never make it access gating to the rest of a leg. Things like extra flavour info /deeper lore stuff, achievements, titles or fashion stuff probably belongs here.

If levelling has nothing to do with player raiding, trial and dungeon ability... remove it as a prerequisite. Stick with dungeons as a prerequisite for dungeons, raids as a prerequisite for raids and trials for trials. (Of course with some role-training content to get players into these systems). If you want levels in your game as a progression system, perhaps have it do something other than give your character raw number power.

Same goes for story. Everybody is expected to skip cut-scenes anyway out of respect for others' time. Make story a completely separate progression that doesn't impede access to multiplayer content.

I'm not saying have no theme to the raids etc... sure tie them into the world, but remove all the meaningless hurdles that get in the way of the core game-play your game should deliver. You don't have people having to play through single-player story and 3-of-a-kind fetch quests between games of League of Legends or Overwatch. This is because they know what their game's focus is and aim to deliver it. XIV abandoned its over-world long ago, why pretend it is relevant anymore? Or you know, make it actually relevant.

It's hard to see this potion nonsense as anything but a ham-fisted band-aid over symptoms of some pretty thoughtless design choices. If they were even choices as opposed to copying of other games' systems regardless of how they interacted with the game SE were actually working on.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

http://lifeinaggro.com/comic/2017/01/01

Life in aggro is the best.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

It's a shame the job quests will all be cleared. At least soloing those fights taught you a bit.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

You learned something from those? Common sense covers about 99% of the games core mechanics. Whoever made the LIA comic I feel is just bleeding salt because they didn't get the amount of up votes on reddit about their opinions.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I meannn I can completely disagree with the comic while still finding it amusing

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I still dont understand why people get all worked up about jump potions ¬.¬. Leveling teaches you shit about endgame and if people cant read the descriptions of spells and abilitys to figure them out then they are idiots anyway and no amount of leveling would help them in any case

Its just bogus.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

The argument is as old as time, people would rant rave and bitch and moan that if you didn't level properly in FFXI you wouldn't know how to spam your 1 weapon skill and use your berserk before your weapon skill. Because that was a high skill game.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Humans are a tribal species; they love to separate and judge. Putting one group down makes humans feel better. It can be applied to anything.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Wait, wrong thread... I think?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Good lord that's old.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

It's more like old jrpg fans who had to grind levels on every character in every game. It's The Way. Departing from The Way can only lead to madness, the sky falling, cats living together with dogs, etc.

aka you do your fucking time like the rest of us miserable people

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    It's more like old jrpg fans who had to grind levels on every character in every game. It's The Way. Departing from The Way can only lead to madness, the sky falling, cats living together with dogs, etc.

aka you do your fucking time like the rest of us miserable people
    Earlier you said some pretty interesting stuff about the game that I agreed with, but now I dunno.

People will be absolutely garbage at the game at the higher end regardless of if they level up to 60 (70) normally or if they use a purchasable level up boost or if they obtain a fully loaded character from their favorite illegal sell/buy/trade online store. No amount of hours grinding lower level content (or not) will make up for learning how to dodge common AoEs, advanced mechanics of endgame content (that's fight specific) as well as putting out and maintaining good DPS/healing while shit is going on.

This is what happens when a game has no discernible midcore content -- the line between hardcore players and just about everyone else is clearly visible. This isn't like FFXI at all.

The game is literally divided into 3 different types of FFXIV players:

1) Casual/Solo players who enjoy having a community of players to game/chat/run causal content with daily and may/may not want to build themselves up to more difficult content.
    2) People who purely have fun at playing the game for RP/dress up/homemaker type of life.
    3) Hardcore players who want to challenge and beat the highest level content every other patch cycle.

I'm not for or against people level boosting their characters as it seems like it's directed more for people wanting to play on alts. If anything, you should embrace anyone bold and crazy enough to use a level jump potion to get right into endgame, even if they are new to the game completely -- they obviously either know/have what it takes to be decent/good/champion players or at least have the audacity to want to quickly reach endgame and skip causal shit. Not that it's likely anyways. Otherwise you are complaining about potential new players who will know fuck all about what's going on in the story.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

You've missed the 4th type of player - the one who wants to have a capped out job just to have one, and automatically feels that he's good enough for endgame content.

I had roughly 3 DPS in my Weeping City run just now (yes I started playing again I'm a hypocrite/masochist so sue me) who embodied that Life in Aggro comic above "What's that AoE do? Whatever, let the healer carry you". Despite having capped jobs, they obviously didn't bother to learn a single mechanic before or during the run. These people don't give a shit about anyone but themselves and don't want to be a productive part of the community, they just want to get loot and feel (their twisted version of) awesome. Of course these people will be around regardless of the jump potions, but at least there's a better chance to weed them out/bore them to death before they reach cap without a jump potion to let them skip all the stuff they find boring.

Even besides that, as a longtime RPG gamer, the idea of a player getting to endgame without knowing any of the game's story is appalling.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Even besides that, as a longtime RPG gamer, the idea of a player getting to endgame without knowing any of the game's story is appalling.
    is your keyboard missing the esc/enter keys or something

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

There will always be players like the one you are mentioning. They are also typically the types of players who want the top tier equipment with little to no effort (hence why relic quests are hyper popular). It's really up to you to simply ignore then and rise above, instead of complain. You and I both know they aren't going anywhere as long as the game remains enjoyable on the casual level.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast