1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 6 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 53 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 6 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 53 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping Potion (OF Post)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    to be fair on the thief knife thing I've heard horror stories of people who spent like 10m gil the day before it was changed to a pop lol. that would piss me off too
    One of my good RL friends paid several million for an (NQ?) Igqira Weskit shortly before the main ingredient to craft it was made a trash drop from some ENM. It dropped from a 7-digit item to sub-30k in a matter of weeks. Them's the breaks.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    One of my good RL friends paid several million for an (NQ?) Igqira Weskit shortly before the main ingredient to craft it was made a trash drop from some ENM. It dropped from a 7-digit item to sub-30k in a matter of weeks. Them's the breaks.
    Bought a Behemoth Egg for my Black Belt with a Scorpion Harness that was worth 6mill at the time. The next day it dropped to600k

LS that sold me the Egg asked me to give them the difference in Gil, SUCKS TO BE THEM

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Had that happened too, people ask me to send them "what's owed" I'm just sitting there like:

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

to be fair on the thief knife thing I've heard horror stories of people who spent like 10m gil the day before it was changed to a pop lol. that would piss me off too
    10m? Try 70m+ lol

there was a point in time where thief's knife was worth over 100m

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

worth every penny

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Same happened to me with HQ elemental staves. As soon as I finished buying them all at their originally high prices (2 to 4 mil each) the price dropped to like 600k.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Same happened to me with HQ elemental staves. As soon as I finished buying them all at their originally high prices (2 to 4 mil each) the price dropped to like 600k.
    Heh in the days most mages had a dark or light staff, but good luck finding any with the rest of the elemental staves, let alone all of them. Especially HQ.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    10m? Try 70m+ lol

there was a point in time where thief's knife was worth over 100m
    Just as a side note, at the height of the RMT inflation Kraken Club was worth more gil than a character could carry (999,999,999?). As I recall, Corwen traded 900M + a bunch of stuff for his.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

ppl talking about "the game isn't that hard, who cares if people are inexperienced" and I'm over here wiping on the Vault with a tank who seems to think Burning Arrow is something he needs to avoid...

yeah after that I am now staunchly against jump potions lol.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

bads are bads and goods are goods, no matter how they got to the current level cap

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zettai Ryouiki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

That's the mindset I have with these level boosts. I've boosted using Blizzard's version before and was raiding a day later after doing research, practicing rotations, and optimizing my newly boosted character. Those that want to excel will do so regardless of having to slog through 1-60 or 1-100 of mindless content.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

If you don't think jump potion is going to increase the number of players at a high level who don't know what they're doing, I want the drugs you're on.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The Vault is not a "high level."

Even with a jumping potion, you still have to grind 50-60 (or in the future, 60-70). I think it's completely reasonable to say that if someone is able to make it through the last ten levels while learning nothing of value, forcing them through the lower levels will not change anything.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

ppl talking about "the game isn't that hard, who cares if people are inexperienced" and I'm over here wiping on the Vault with a tank who seems to think Burning Arrow is something he needs to avoid...

yeah after that I am now staunchly against jump potions lol.
    POTD tanks LOL

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If you don't think jump potion is going to increase the number of players at a high level who don't know what they're doing, I want the drugs you're on.
    this is a 10 year-old argument that predates this game. It was wrong then, and it's wrong now

it takes five minutes on a training dummy to learn how to play a class

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

not to mention that FATEs and POTD are already effectually "jump potions". You learn dickall about your class using either of those methods

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    The Vault is not a "high level."

Even with a jumping potion, you still have to grind 50-60 (or in the future, 60-70). I think it's completely reasonable to say that if someone is able to make it through the last ten levels while learning nothing of value, forcing them through the lower levels will not change anything.
    The Vault is the second-to-last dungeon in Heavensward MSQ, that's high-enough of a level of that a tank should know how to play by then.

I'm not saying that jump potions are going to make the game unplayable, but they are going to lead to more players at higher levels who haven't practiced their jobs yet and thus have lower skill levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    this is a 10 year-old argument that predates this game. It was wrong then, and it's wrong now

it takes five minutes on a training dummy to learn how to play a class
    That's just plain not true. The aforementioned tank who apparently didn't know what Burning Arrow was, that's an example. BRDs learning when to play which song, that's an example. A lot of this game is not just theoretical; it's muscle memory, it's being able to instinctually respond to a given situation and that takes a bit of time to develop.

Good people will still learn and get better, bad people will still suck. But I'd rather good people get their learning out of the way back when at the levels when I was still learning too, not when I've already got my shit together from playing my job for ages. And a good player who has only practiced on a dummy is still going to be rough around the edges for a while.

Anyway, my first post was mostly meant as a joke about a bad Vault experience and a reflection on future frustrations that might occur, not a "OMG JUMP POTIONS ARE BAD AND I HATE THEM" comment. If you want to take it further, I'll leave you to that.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

you're giving an example of a tank who was confused and.. didn't use a jump potion

and I don't even know how to respond to the suggestion that you need 50 levels of grinding to differentiate between three songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    not to mention that FATEs and POTD are already effectually "jump potions". You learn dickall about your class using either of those methods

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I gave that as an example of what playing with someone who doesn't know the game well might be like.

I said I'd prefer to play with someone who has practiced their job, not that you need 50 entire levels to be competent.

Are you trolling me? Because if so, good job.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

homie all I'm saying is that of the two examples of how jump potions would have a negative impact on the community, one was a player who was confused but had not used a jump potion, and the other was patently ridiculous

and this is the third time you've ignored the fact that two of the primary leveling methods that currently exist do not teach you anything about how your job is going to work 50-60

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast