+ Reply to Thread

Thread: electric or upright piano     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

electric or upright piano

Hey everyone,

So, we finally live in a place where I can have a piano again. I am debating on whether I should do an 88 key weighted electric piano or an upright. (Don't have room for a baby grand.)

Part of me feels like an upright will always sound better, and I should be able to find one for free. Downside is it is going to go on our stairs landing (it's really huge), so the costs of movers to get it up there and a tuner may make this super expensive.

Electrics don't sound as real to me, but I could probably spend less on a really nice one that is weighted with a pedal than I would paying for movers.

Thoughts?

I am not a great player, but I enjoy it thoroughly, and I am good enough to save us a little money teaching my kids the basics rather than paying for lessons. (With the cost of lessons nowadays, it wouldn't take long for the piano to pay for itself. @.@

I know shit about electric piano brands/models so if that is the route people think I should go, I'd love suggestions on what to get.

I won't be able to get it until our tax refund this year, but I have it on my mind as we are visiting in-laws and fil just got a keyboard. I spent an hour learning "Let it Go" for my kids. XD

If you're pretty confident you'll stay in your home, I'd say to go with the upright. Should your kids wind up taking an interest and possibly even go onto recitals, it'll also be more beneficial than an electric. Also won't disagree that electrics do sound different, but I'd chalk that up to the likely poor quality of speakers. On the other hand, if you have a sound system, you could occasionally feed it to that and probably get a more accurate sound.

Edit: And when it comes to movers, do you have access to a truck of your own that it could loaded onto? If you think the cost would be bad, if your school has a football team or something you could even try to recruit some helpers in exchange for some pizza or whatever.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Tuning runs around $400-600. I know you know it's expensive, but this is a regular expense you'll have. Add onto that other kinds of maintenance (taking care of the wood and strings and whatnot). If you can afford it, I think the upright would be more fun. Thing is, do you really want to spend a TON of money on it, based on how often you'll use it? If the answer is "yes" then go for it. If it's not, get the electric.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Of the electrics I have heard on Twitch, they sound comparable to an upright. Aim towards used on those since something like a Yamaha P-115 runs $600 on amazon, and that's geared towards enthusiasts that want quality but don't want to break the bank with the P-255 model ($1300 + tax)

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Tuning runs around $400-600. I know you know it's expensive, but this is a regular expense you'll have. Add onto that other kinds of maintenance (taking care of the wood and strings and whatnot). If you can afford it, I think the upright would be more fun. Thing is, do you really want to spend a TON of money on it, based on how often you'll use it? If the answer is "yes" then go for it. If it's not, get the electric.
    I have never heard of tuning that high for an upright. They are usually $100-$200.

My biggest concern is the moving, and I'll try to call around for estimates.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Guess it depends on how many people have pianos near you. Apparently there aren't many around here.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah, i've never paid anywhere but a little past 100$ for a tune :E

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Upright, and tuning isn't expensive.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Pianos are for fucking losers that can't play a keytar.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Definitely upright. I have a really nice full weighted (electric) Privia that I never play - well, it's no longer with me in my current location either. But even when I had it around something just felt so false about striking the keys, despite its attempt to emulate an actual piano. It's certainly serviceable and it can do a lot of things regular pianos can't, such as a built in way to record the songs you play straight from input, play music itself and sound like not a piano, of course, but I don't think anything can replace the true sound and feel of a real piano, especially for someone who is learning.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Aight upright it is. Gonna take me a bit to find the one I like. Thanks guys!

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Steinway or gtfo

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Aight upright it is. Gonna take me a bit to find the one I like. Thanks guys!
    Craigslist - used to be a ton of "free if you pay for moving".

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Aw. I was gonna vote electric. So much easier to move around, cheaper, and the sound quality can be pretty good. Plus lots of fun toys (like different sounds and the ability to record what you play), and you can also moderate the volume very easily as well as wear headphones (if someone is sleeping, for example).

I looooooooove my Yamaha <3 but I understand the desire for an upright. Ideally I'd want both.

Well. Ideally I'd want a $100k grand.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Went to a Steinway school, of course that's the way to go. But Baldwin, Yamaha both make excellent uprights. I grew up on an upright Weber actually- wasn't performance quality but served me well.

If you're looking new, and buying local, shipping/delivery is often included. I'm now in the business of instrument repair, and let me tell you, setting up that initial relationship with a local piano shop can be invaluable- you'll probably score a lifetime cheaper rate on tuning and maintenance as well!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Craigslist - used to be a ton of "free if you pay for moving".
    Yeah that's what I plan to do. But I want to find the look I like.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I have no recommendation cause ive played nothing but electric, but I did Piano Labs up through high school and plan on getting a piano of my own one day once discretionary spending allows. Just wanted to say rock on and enjoy your selection no matter what you pick.