+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Sync several folders between 2+ (windows) devices - preferrably self-hosted

As the title says, i wanna keep several folders (that are spread across the whole system) in sync between 2+ windows machines. These folders include my XIV character settings folder and some savegame folders of games that don't have cloud save.
    In the last years I've been using Windows live mesh and Cubby for this, but both services have been discontinued... So instead of hopping from company to company I was thinking of hosting it myself this time.

The "problem" with most self-hosted "cloud" services like Owncloud is that their clients aren't made for syncing several different folders, they usually just allow you to set one folder somewhere and everything has to be below that one.

Another thing i'd like to be able to do is to define exclusions for certain file types/sub folders, best example would be the log folder inside the XIV char profile.

And the "cherry on top" would be custom syncing intervals and versioning. That was one issue with Cubby I had, it supported versioning but synced EVERY change to a file, that led to several 100 file copies within a week on some games...

Does a service/solution like this even exist? ^^;

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

If you have a server, this could work

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...-10-deployment

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

I have a server, but it's running Linux Forgot to mention that... It's "just" a small vServer though.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I believe installing Goodsync on one of the boxes would cover everything you want.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Uh, not quite. They're (usually) in the same network but almost never online at the same time. For example I run my laptop only when i'm not at home and/or during summer when it's too hot to game on my main rig...
    And if I see that right the "server" version of goodsync isn't free.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

I use https://syncthing.net/ to keep save files in sync between my htpc and desktop pc. You can add as many folders as you want, as each one turns into a share with own permission settings etc. It also runs on pretty much everything, is free, open source and allows versioning

There is a pause per device feature and with full cli access, you could create a cronjob/task to schedule it. I don't think there's a pause per folder yet.

I also just found a GUI wrapper for the Windows version, if you don't want to use the web GUI: https://github.com/canton7/SyncTrayzor

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Wow, thanks for the link Aevis, looks like the perfect solution :3 Just set it up on my main rig and vserver and it seems to work flawlessly. Ignoring works, versioning should work (enabled it but so far nothing has changed ^^) and all is secured~

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Uh, not quite. They're (usually) in the same network but almost never online at the same time. For example I run my laptop only when i'm not at home and/or during summer when it's too hot to game on my main rig...
    And if I see that right the "server" version of goodsync isn't free.
    Gotcha, sorry for the bad rec.