+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Ashes of Creation (New MMO from EX-SOE devs)

Apparently allot of the former people from Storybricks and SOE have gotten together to form a new studio called Intrepid Studios.

http://www.intrepidstudios.com/

They are making a mmo using the storybricks/voxel tech inter-graded with Unreal Engine. The mmo is called Ashes of Creation. The studio was formed in 2015 and they have just started work on Ashes of Creation in 2016, so they are in very early pre alpha. The studio is being funded by investors, but will seek out Kickstarter and crowed funding in the future.

Ashes of Creation will be a sandbox mmo, that uses the old storybricks/voxel tech to build a dynamic world. Cities will rise and fall, their populations based on the history of the world as the players create it. Quests will unlock as these populations gather, their needs grow, and secrets are unlocked.

As the world’s NPC structure is established in real time, players will have the ability to destroy what they’ve created, paving the way for new development, new populations, and real change. Political strife and intrigue will play a very real role in the structure of your world.

If you want more info you can check out the Ashes of Creation website :

http://www.ashesofcreation.com/

Videos

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Low lvl dungeon

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Who has two thumbs, and doesn't give a fuck about pre-alpha footage for an MMO?

Spoiler: show
    This guy

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Looks cool but it's essentially nothing but CGI at this point. Talk to me in 2019.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Merry Christmas from Intrepid Studios

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

New Combat trailer

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Wtf this looks really badass.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Damnit, already put in pledges for Pantheon and then this had to show. Really does look well done, need to read into it more though.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

This video explains how their Dynamic systems will work(Called the Node system in Ashes). This was originally the Rally Call system in EQNEXT, but now most of it's devs are working on Ashes, and are bringing it to this game.

It's certainly a system I've been wanting to see, though my only critique from the video is that activity at certain nodes could prevent the advancement of others.

And depending on how they handle leveling and mob distribution, continents risk feeling too small/easy if it takes too long to unlock other areas. As is, I suspect every newbie area will eventually become a metropolis, but after that, who the fuck knows.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Looks better then XIV, looks like it might have some promise

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    It's certainly a system I've been wanting to see, though my only critique from the video is that activity at certain nodes could prevent the advancement of others.

And depending on how they handle leveling and mob distribution, continents risk feeling too small/easy if it takes too long to unlock other areas. As is, I suspect every newbie area will eventually become a metropolis, but after that, who the fuck knows.
    Probably a combination of unsuccessful event repelling and/or PvP battles can result in nodes losing levels until being destroyed. The most powerful guilds will establish the base areas, and people will flock around them, leaving other areas completely bare. I like the idea, but unless there's some real risk to a town being removed, that's the likely scenario, but could possibly be mitigated by a few ideas:

Huge rewards for a different town to raid/destroy a rival town, with some way to prevent win swapping.
    An un-winable server event that removes a random max node from the map, perhaps culminating from several successful events won by the server.
    Seasons, where the servers are essentially reset, so that the entire map can be re-colonized in a different configuration, due to where the initial gates spawn.

Combat didn't look like my cup of tea, but I like the idea they are presenting.

Not a PvPer, so it'll taint my opinion, but that being a primary means of "clearing" nodes would be terrible, especially if population distribution and interest gets super lopsided. Past reference I could make of this would've been with Aion where all the PvPers/griefers seemed to flock to the Asmodian side and the abyss maps generally reflected that with the Elyos never controlling the important spots. And if it ever gets so bad where even a newbie area is constantly ruins, players will be lost when/if their experience is constantly getting steamrolled by others they have no hope of beating.

And far as I can tell, PvP-centric MMOs never really do well in the West. They may have decent starts, but within a year, if not sooner, they're not really on anyone's radar (Archage, Black Desert, Aion, etc.). So, while PvP perhaps can't be solely blamed because of their fizzling, the earlier mentioned issues alongside things like poor class balance don't help.

As for NPC stuff, forced failures aren't really cool, either. I mean, it's one thing if a rough event spawns in off-hours, but another if there's no chance of survival even if done at peak times. And if such things are required to clear nodes, then I'd argue the system is launching flawed, or that the restriction for other regions shouldn't be a thing and just allow the natural decay to do its thing, as players can't be everywhere all the time.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I know more people playing bdo then ffxiv. /shrug. Guess if you aren't playing the game it's easy to overlook.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Part 2 on the Node (dynamic) system. Goes into more detail, talks about pvp, housing, and late stage nodes.

Also they will be doing a Kickstarter starting on May 1.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

This sounds more and more like the MMO I´ve been waiting for pretty much ever since I quit FFXI. Having high hopes for this one, devs seem to really want to make an amazing MMO and not just another quick cash grab.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Virg View Post
    This sounds more and more like the MMO I´ve been waiting for pretty much ever since I quit FFXI. Having high hopes for this one, devs seem to really want to make an amazing MMO and not just another quick cash grab.
    This is what we all say for every MMO that's come out since. And it all turns to absolute shit lol if the devs don't fuck it up or shit all over it something else will

In this case, it's all about the cost to do things, the rate of decay, and how easily griefers can fuck all that up. I also worry that they're making this so that the only real way to be an influence to the world is to be a no-lifer or entertain the use of bots or other third party tools to do things while you're away.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    This is what we all say for every MMO that's come out since. And it all turns to absolute shit lol if the devs don't fuck it up or shit all over it something else will
    Sadly accurate as fuck. Oh well I guess hope dies last or w/e they say. Definately ready to be disappointed again.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

The Ashes of Creation Kickstarter opened up today. Only been open for a couple of hours and they already hit their 750k funding goal. That's pretty crazy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=116f691d