• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Trying to disable windows key + l shortcut

I just got a new computer, and I've had the windows + l shortcut kick me out of my fullscreen applciations several times now by accident, so I want to disable it. However, I can't figure out how. I've got a GS63VR 6RF Stealth Pro, with Windows 10. I've checked out:

1: Microsoft easy fix solution to disable windows key (not supported anymore)
    2: Registry editing to disable windows key listed at several locations, such as at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/216893 (at step 4, there is no Add Value option)
    3: SharpKeys program to remap the window key (doesn't work)
    4: WinKey Killer program to disable the window key (doesn't work)

Any suggestions?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Open the keyboard/remove the key, and disable it physically.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Huh. Back in the early FFXI days, there was a program called I Hate This Key, which might not be supported on Windows 10. What windows are you running?

And..I assume it's useful for other things, so yeah. You wouldn't want to go the extreme route. I'll google a bit more for you if you want, but this is something I really haven't run into much yet.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    2: Registry editing to disable windows key listed at several locations, such as at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/216893 (at step 4, there is no Add Value option)
    The regedit thing should work in windows 10, it's just not marked as "Add Value" anymore. It's 'New' -> 'Binary Value', this will give you the new 'REG_BINARY' entry that step wants you to put in. You can then name it and type in that whole binary string. Make sure you actually clicked on the 'Keyboard Layout' folder though. Looking at the number this way will help you type it in easier:
    Code:
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    03 00 00 00 00 00 5B E0
    00 00 5C E0 00 00 00 00
    There's two sections you can type into in the window, right next to the existing 0000 line and off to the far right side of that line. You want to be next to 0000 to start typing, otherwise you won't actually be giving it the right values ('0000' is just a line number, it increases with more lines, the far right side is another representation of binary characters, it's just much easier to type in hexadecimal characters).

I tried this on another win10 machine of mine and it seemed to kill the win-key. No win-key shortcuts work anymore either. If you're at all used to using the win-key to bring up the start menu or any shortcut though you're going to have a bad time (it was gone a few minutes on that machine and it already feels wrong compared to my normal use heh).

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks for all the help; I managed to do it after figuring out that SharpKeys DOES work, but that since my keyboard only has one windows key, I was trying to remap the wrong windows key (the one labeled as left in the program corresponds to the one on the right side of the keyboard).

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I've used sharp keys since the beginning of Windows 10. It's great. Disable keys and remap them with ease and it keeps track of what you've done.

You can disable caps lock for example entirely and the key press will still register in voip like ventrillo, which is awesome. But it doesn't work with Discord sadly.