Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Black Chocobo Suit Findings

This suit seems to be quite enigmatic in its effect on chocobo digging, so if anyone still does it please post any findings you get while using it.

Also be sure to include your digging rank and the stats on your bird if you are digging with a raised bird.

I am A25 with a Burrow+Treasure Hunter bird, without the body I have about a 82% dig accuracy.

Once I put the body on, like others have noticed, my dig accuracy plummets to about 33%.

It also seems very streaky, like digging used to be once upon a time. I'll go 7+ digs with no result, then get like 3-4 items in a row.

Furthermore my bird's Burrow ability seems to not proc often at all, if ever, when I use the suit. Very odd.

Outside of that I haven't noticed anything different in terms of drops yet except getting a Heavy Metal in West Ronfaure, which as odd.

The Black Chocobo suit is obtained from the New Years event for those who don't know, specifically the "Trade any random items to the procession of NPCs wandering around outside" one. Took me about half a stack of shihei to get my body.

Right now my suspicions are the suit does one of two things:

One: Simulates digging with the Treasure Hunter ability birds can get, allowing players to have access to the ability without raising a bird. If you are digging with a raised bird that already has it, the suit might do nothing.

Two: It acts like the fisherman's apron, and will often 'cancel out' low quality digs in order to lengthen your stamina and bias your digs towards better loot.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by urat View Post
    This suit seems to be quite enigmatic in its effect on chocobo digging
    Who else but SE?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Who else but SE?
    Well thats what I really enjoy about FFXI and what keeps bringing me back. Cool effects that require investigation, study, and cryptic puzzles to solve add depth and interest to the game.

Suddenly I have this cool little enigma to crack that will probably provide me at least a few hours of fun. FFXI is a great MMO for those of us that like puzzles.

Todays results were pretty big. I managed to get 8 heavy metals, averaging getting a metal every 15 digs. I changed zones everytime I obtained one, which may have been part of it.

Also got coins of ruin in qufim, which I believe is a new drop. Next Im gonna do some digging in ToAU zones, see what happens there.

Space Pope
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I've been confused by this as well. The hardest part with the streaky behavior of the suit is knowing how many stacks of greens to buy. I've gone on a real tear in Xarc[S], where I get next to no crap items, but 6 Sif's Macrame. Being A10, I usually see one of these per day, so this is an improvement, but you never know when you're just going to come up empty 9 times in a row.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think Im starting to see the pattern.

I always get heaps of heavy metals during weather. I think much like how you needed weather to get ele ores, you need weather now to easily get heavy metals, and the black suit just augments this potentially by discarding all low quality digs.

However for some reason the following generic 'all zone' items dont count as 'low quality'

Bone chip
    Pebble
    Tin Ore
    Zinc ore

Also beastcoins, colored rocks, ancient currency, and the rare burrow/bore proc all also do not get filtered out.

But the zone specific weak drops seem to be filtered and only medium tier and higher items can be found.

Space Pope
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I always get heaps of heavy metals during weather. I think much like how you needed weather to get ele ores, you need weather now to easily get heavy metals, and the black suit just augments this potentially by discarding all low quality digs.
    Interesting. I'll test this out tonight. Oddly I thought I saw the opposite last night, where HMP weren't found during weather.

Space Pope
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Today's dig report: 96 total digs in Behemoth's Dominion. 4 Heavy Metal Plates, none of which occurred during weather. Weather was single lightning until about dig #30, at which point it changed to clear weather. Lightning clusters were dug up, but again, not during lightning weather, only clear.

http://imgur.com/a/lUSdW

I don't know any pattern, but I think this disproves the HMP during weather hypothesis?

Edit:

Don't take this data for granite. http://imgur.com/a/49Hcz

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Id sayyou getting four during not-weather and I four during only weather conclusively means weather means jack shit, which is nice to know.

Interesting thing to note: If you dig with a character not eligible to receive allied notes or Imperial Standing, you won't dig them up.

With these things being a very decent chunk of my digs now with body, I wonder how many plates I'd be getting if I couldn't receive them.

I actually don't have tags in the past at the moment so I think I can't get points there, so I think Im going to do a full 100 digs in Vunkerl to see what kind of results I get...

Space Pope
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

After a few more days of tests, it looks like my "dig rate" has a hard cap somewhere near 40%. I've dug vunkerl, delicious HMP abound there. Digging in the Adoulin areas give lots of HPB. Still, since you're going to have a cap of 100 digs per day, you'll want to start with 240 (20 stacks of 12 greens) greens, plus some extra just in case.

I wonder if it's possible to update the wiki pages with this new method of digging. It seems that each zone has a very rare dig, in addition to the HMP/HPB RMEA dig item. This isn't new, but these digs pop up with more frequency while wearing the suit. Some of my favorites off the top of my head:

Xarc[S]: Dragon Heart / Sif's Macrime (I used to get HMP here, but haven't in a while...)
    Behemoth's Dominion: Behemoth Hide [HMP]
    Caedaerva Mire: Single Alexandrite, Wootz Ore [HMP]
    Kamihr Drifts: Rhodium Ore [HPB]

I'll have to log the precise distribution of items and see what changed. I suspect it's more of a flat distribution instead of weighted, where you have like a 5% chance to pull a HMP instead of a 1%, but you still have a 5% chance to pull a bone chip instead of like 25%.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I can attest that 20 stacks is about the magic number. I had a couple times where I needed a final 21st stack and other times only 18, but 20 has gotten me by quite well each day.

I also agree that vunkerl/grauberg/fort karugo seem to be the three best zones for HMPs, so target whichever zone has the higher value ancient currency as well.

On the flipside, Rhodium ores can sell decently fast as well so Kamahir is not to be discounted.

Yorcia is decent too if your server is still buying yorcia simulacrum parts, as they abound there on top of logs that NPC well and of course HPBs

Space Pope
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I also agree that vunkerl/grauberg/fort karugo seem to be the three best zones for HMPs, so target whichever zone has the higher value ancient currency as well.
    I went 0/100 for HMP in Fort K-N last night. Went right before maintenance. I wonder if it has something to do with moon phases? The old elemental ore digging was tied to moon phases as well as the elemental day of the week..

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Im fairly certain digging in general has always been tied to moonphase.

My record highs for HMPs always occur during full moon, and I sometimes struggle to even get one during new moon. Between the two I average 1~2

Last full moon I got 9 HMP in a day.

Space Pope
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Similar experiences here. ~0-25% moon I get nearly zero HMP. Yesterday I did a stretch around 90% moon (Qufim Island), pulled up 5 HMP. Do you think it's worth it to dig without the suit during new moon?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So just a minor update with new info today.

I got a Piece of Mali Coral today in Vunkerl off Chocobo suit, never seen that before. Seems to be like 20x rarer than HMP.

That or maybe its because I recently dinged into Rank 7 digging, I dunno.

It was raining if that matters.