+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

yeah and a triple-boosted fireball didn't even wipe the ice crystals after a break :/ I thought it would, oops

it's a good thing though. encourages me to buy the main game. RPGs are too wussy these days; I'm the type of gamer who'd rather play SMT Nocturne on extreme mode

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

finally picked this up. it was this or Xenoblade but I felt like playing Xenoblade alongside Zelda would be two massive sidequesty exploration-based games at once.

starting to get into it. Cyrus's beginning is rough; he's OP but has terribad SP issues (at least so far). now that I have other characters so he doesn't have to blow his load every battle, it's getting better tho. just picked up Ophilia and I gotta say, the narrative structure doesn't bother me at all. I thought it might but meh. it's just an improved version of the SaGa games where instead of doing one story at a time, you do all of them in one playthrough, and I'm ok with this

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Cyrus does get better with MP management. The sooner you get the Trader support job unlocked the better for SP Saver.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Once you fill the party out you can also use items a lot more freely to recharge SP - therion gives you tons of items from stealing in towns, and tress is worth a ton of cash from going between areas.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

OK good to know. His first dungeon solo you're using like 16 SP per battle with a max SP of 64 lol

Scaling is excellent so far. Ophilia's first boss was the perfect difficulty. I'm surprised by how much I like her story too. Can't wait to unlock all eight characters if they're all this good - I can see why people get so invested in these stories even if they're all separate

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    OK good to know. His first dungeon solo you're using like 16 SP per battle with a max SP of 64 lol

Scaling is excellent so far. Ophilia's first boss was the perfect difficulty. I'm surprised by how much I like her story too. Can't wait to unlock all eight characters if they're all this good - I can see why people get so invested in these stories even if they're all separate
    Yeah the initial scaling depends on your number of party members up to 4 IIRC, and they did a fantastic job on it. I don't think it's used after that so it's more like a tutorial mode. There's some rewards for exploring as well - encounter rate is a pain in the butt but some of the skills you get can help you flee more consistently (I didn't find this out till it was way too late to get them).

Ophilia and cyrus were dark horses for me - unlocked them last, and ended up really liking both characters and stories.

BG Level

Olberic's story is probably my favorite. I thought it would be some kind of "For honor!" cliche but oh man was I wrong when I got to the 3rd chapter

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

^ I have the same reservations about Olberic lol. Good to know I'll be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by hyoton View Post
    Yeah the initial scaling depends on your number of party members up to 4 IIRC, and they did a fantastic job on it. I don't think it's used after that so it's more like a tutorial mode. There's some rewards for exploring as well - encounter rate is a pain in the butt but some of the skills you get can help you flee more consistently (I didn't find this out till it was way too late to get them).

Ophilia and cyrus were dark horses for me - unlocked them last, and ended up really liking both characters and stories.
    Yeah I put Cyrus's first passive up (encounter rate decrease) as soon as I got it lol

BG Level

^ I have the same reservations about Olberic lol. Good to know I'll be wrong
    Fun fact. In a recent poll for JP/US Players Olberic was last for starting character. But placed very high/at the top for story

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Linde be all like "I see everyone here is weak to swords. GUESS I'LL USE MY SINGLE-TARGET SPEAR ATTACK"

god damn stupid cat

Relic Shield
    BG Level

oh man....linde lol. she doesnt scale eother...

BG Level

Thus proving all cats are assholes

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

she doesn't scale? lame

also, THE PEACOCK SHALL STRUT is the best line in the entire game prove me wrong

BG Level

she doesn't scale? lame

also, THE PEACOCK SHALL STRUT is the best line in the entire game prove me wrong
    Ahem....

"MY BLADE IS UNBENDING!"

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

that's good, but is it Cyrus-as-a-dancer good?

different strokes I suppose

my other favorite quote is far simpler; I just adore how polite Tressa is when she takes money from enemies. "Thank youuuuu!" <3 She might be my favorite character so far, and Hired Help is OP (at least in the earlier game)

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Hired help is so good. I found it less useful midgame then it rocketed to relevance endgame because it doesn’t care about stats or buffs and is really flexible...

Tress also apologizes when she steals! Tress is a very good girl.

BG Level

Actually I take back what I said about best line. It's cleary Tressa in chapter 2.

Spoiler: show
    I bursted out laughing when she went "Mrgrgr!" such a nice throwback to the Bravely Default games.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I forgot about that Tressa line!

I ended up really liking a lot of the characters I didn't expect to. I'll switch back between Japanese and English voices, depending; sometimes Ha'anit's voice just gets to me.

I need to go back and finish it. I think I'd wrapped up the stories for Therion, Olberic, Primrose, Cyrus and. . I *think* Tressa's. I know I hadn't finished up Ophilia's, Haanit or Alfin's yet.

As an aside about voices, while I like both, wow is the tone vastly different for some people. Therion sounds bloodthirsty in English, while he's more subdued in Japanese.

Oh, speaking of throwbacks..

Spoiler: show

Tressa: Begone swindler. You don't belong in this town!
    Morlock: It was not by my hand that I am once again given revenue. I was brought here by miners, who wish to pay me royalties.
    Tressa: Royalties? You cheat your workers out of their hard-earned money, and monopolize their profits!
    Morlock: Perhaps the same could be said of all businesses.
    Tressa: Your words are as bankrupt as your soul. Mankind ill needs an investor such as you.
    Morlock: What is a man?! A miserable little working ant! But enough talk; Omar have at her!

BG Level

Theiorn does seem a bit odd. During his story he seems very chill but you're right about him sounding bloodthirsty during a fight. Doesn't help he has that cheesy villain laugh.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I really want to like Therion but he just bugs me. that voice is so annoying. maybe he'll grow on me through his story.

I also feel like the only person in the world who loves H'aanit. her voice, her way of speaking, all of it. lol