+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Like I said, if this game is like Saga Frontier -- and the reviews seem to suggest that it is -- then story was never going to be its strong point. All reviews seem to confirm that the gameplay is top notch, which is all that matters to me in jrpg.

Tho dungeon designs beeing samey/repetitive is a letdown. Whatever, the enemy/boss design looks bad ass, and that's just as important for me.

But the single most important thing for me was that.... did any of these reviews mention post game contents? Bonus dungeons, hidden bosses, ultimate side quests??? Cuz if that's lacking, that's a damn deal breaker.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Hopefully there’s some amazing end game content. No way they don’t take advantage of the battle-system at an extreme difficulty. That’s a huge hope for me.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I wouldn't put it past them to put in some crazy super boss after completing all 8 story lines.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by JeanClaudVanDamme View Post
    Like I said, if this game is like Saga Frontier -- and the reviews seem to suggest that it is -- then story was never going to be its strong point. All reviews seem to confirm that the gameplay is top notch, which is all that matters to me in jrpg.

Tho dungeon designs beeing samey/repetitive is a letdown. Whatever, the enemy/boss design looks bad ass, and that's just as important for me.

But the single most important thing for me was that.... did any of these reviews mention post game contents? Bonus dungeons, hidden bosses, ultimate side quests??? Cuz if that's lacking, that's a damn deal breaker.
    There's an enormous amount of optional content, but as for postgame content in particular: we now know there's an entire hidden endgame region and final dungeon, with a final-final boss, the specifics of which suggest this hidden content might be an entire chapter that ties everything together.

No one has discovered how to unlock it yet, but Nintendo has said it's hidden behind not only finishing the game, but finishing specific side quest arcs. Hell, the four optional jobs' acquisition have higher recommended levels than the entire main storylines, suggesting a sizable amount of content to utilize them on.

This game's lore and world-building are going to be deep.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by JeanClaudVanDamme View Post
    i'ma wait on more reviews to drop and see what all yall's take on it is but tragically that's a dealbreaker for me. play RPGs for the story and characters primarily and p much all the reviews say the aesthetics + combat system are brilliant, while the story + characterization (and dungeon design) are mediocre, contrived, and are endless repetitive cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Plus I need to justify still owning a switch from time to time lol.
    feel this

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Might have to wait a bit to play. Gotta love how Walmart told me my preorder was delayed less than 24 hours after the estimated pickup time...

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Reviews are subjective because everyone is different... imagine that.
    What I'm hearing from in here is that subjectivity sucks when it goes against what they agree with.

I don't really care about this game, but I want this concept reused in other games. I want a FFIV Remake with this engine and new spell effects. Wouldn't mind a FFV done in the same vein. FFVI should receive a more technological upgrade...

I'd also like whatever this engine is (don't say unreal: I mean the specific goddamn stuff used in this game) used for a new RPG maker, or sold to indie companies to make new material with. The game itself may be whatever, but the tech behind this is... fascinating.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I agree, seeing old FF titles remade in this 2.5D sprite system would be beautiful.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'd literally pay $100 for a FFIV done in this style. Day one preorder, and I don't fucking preorder.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Cross-posting my findings in the Octopath Discord from Era:

- Character interactions increase as the game goes on. They continue even after the personal stories are completed. The ones in Chapters 3, 4, and postgame involve as many as your entire active party (so tailored interactions depending on your individual party combo), and get quite lengthy. Downplaying the amount of party interactions is doing what the game does a disservice.

- Around half of the personal stories have emphatic references to something afterward (i.e. the postgame), which suggests this postgame will actually have some amount of culminating story. I don't know why some reviewers were saying there were absolutely no hints at a postgame. It's flat-out incorrect according to multiple people and the dialogue discussed.

- The world-building and lore are extremely robust.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I agree, seeing old FF titles remade in this 2.5D sprite system would be beautiful.
    I wish they'd let you rotate the camera angle though. Even if ever so slightly, doesn't even have to be a complete 360. I think I spent like a good 5~ minutes in the bandits cave looking for the next area, until I found what should've been a blatantly obvious path that led to the Gaston dude.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Alfyn chapter 1 boss was a really shitty fight, so many items used

Spoiler: show
    Since I guess there is no poison resist acc yet

So now I'm just wondering which path to take. After I get all 8. (currently have 4)

I could either

1) Get a party of 4, grind them and do their chapter 2-3-4 (or how many they have). Then switch one of the 4 out for a new 4 and do his chapter 2-3-4 and rinse and repeat
    2) Try to keep all 8 levelled up and just follow the level requirement and do the chapter in that order

Decisions hehe

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So the official octopath strategy guide in japanese confirms that there is actually a true final boss which means that no reviewer actually fully completed the game and this is hilarious to me
    https://twitter.com/Aliseyun/status/1017747476881838080

BG Level

Finally got my hands on this bitch.

Goodbye weekend.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

5 hours in, just got to my 5th Town. A couple of bosses almost wrecked me >.<

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Color me shocked, it's almost like a reviewer will put in maybe 5-10 hours and then write their review from there, which is just enough time for them to get through all the chapter 1 content of the game and get a taste of the sub job system, maybe delve into a character's chapter 2.

BG Level

Project Octopath Traveler (NSW)

Never noticed before, but the fucking resell prices for equipment be on some GameStop level type bullshit lol.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

All 8 prologues done... 10 hours later woof.

BG Level

Got Alfyn and Tressa’s left but gonna call it a night. Some of these prologues are a mental grind.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Primrose prologue is still the highlight of the game

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast