View Poll Results: Which ad-blocker are you using?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • ublock

0 0%
  • uBlock Origin

7 46.67%
  • Ad-block

1 6.67%
  • Ad-block plus

6 40.00%
  • Other

1 6.67%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ad-block choice     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Ad-block choice

Just trying to get a feel for which ad-blocker people think is the best. There are more and more ad-blockers available for both chrome and firefox. Which one are you using?

Don't forget to whitelist www.bluegartr.com

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bardicrune View Post
    Don't forget to whitelist www.bluegartr.com
    Which ads?

I use https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts which filters most of the garbage from the internet. It doesn't require any special plugins and also work on ads/malwares embedded in desktop applications without wasting any cpu to filter that crap out.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

The bullshit that the company behind ABP tries to pull is a no-go for me, so I used adblock edge (a fork of ABP before it got crappyfied), and when that got dropped/discontinued I switched to uBlock Origin.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Noscript does the job for me here.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I use ublock origin on all my browsers that support it and adblock plus with the checkbox unticked for the couple that don't (older browsers for specific tasks). I used to use host file but upkeep and running into sites that I would need to edit out of the host to work just got annoying (there's nice programs to manage hosts file though, I used to use mvps's files). ublock origin is easy enough to change what it blocks without letting it unblock items for all sites.

I also use noscript for firefox and uMatrix in chrome-type browsers. uMatrix adds a whole lot of blocking options not found in other blockers, but it can get complicated to unbreak some sites (it'll break sites more often than not). It's easier to use than noscript in seeing what is actually blocked, and I think it has a version for firefox but i've just had noscript for years and built up a mostly working unbreak-allow list for the shit I visit. Combined with the anti-adblock killer greasemonkey script and most adblock-blocking sites can get unfucked.

For other folks whenever I clean up, fix, etc a pc, I tend to just give them firefox and chrome loaded with ublock origin and its default lists, a tpl for ie11, abp in edge, and leave it at that. Much more and they'll have to mess with it and cry and shit their pants. I've yet to actually meet someone in real life that understands this crap or dealt with it since the late 90s.