Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Exploit     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Equipment Exploit

By modifying the equipset packet, you can equip the same piece of armor on multiple (abnormal) slots and receive the bonus multiple times.

It appears many people are using this to equip items such as kupo shield or crafting torques to receive a huge amount of excess skill and break tiers that shouldn't be possible.

This is why the forums are flooded with HQ threads selling impossible amounts of high value items.

I wouldn't recommend doing this if you haven't already since I'm making daily reports to the STF and GMs and it will put your account at risk. However, increasing exposure to the information lights a fire under SE's ass and motivates them to fix it sooner.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Is this only possible with gearswap? Maybe the correct question should be "Is it easiest with gearswap?". Maybe Byrth can edit the extension to prevent this.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

The server's code allows it, and anyone with any basic basic knowledge of lua would be able to do it without gearswap. I don't think gearswap natively allows it, but as an Ashita user I'm not entirely sure. Either way, all a patch would accomplish is getting people to use cached copies of it or write their own.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Does this also mean if someone fucks up writing their lua they could equip shit in the wrong slots? Has this always been a thing or is it a recent glitch?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Around mid-adoulin, I remember an update where people were putting their equipment in the wrong slots via gearswap(unintentionally), so the exploit has probably been around since equipset was added. I assume gearswap has since been fixed.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'd like to hear byrth's opinion on this and how/if it'll affect gearswap users.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Can you do this with any piece? Cause oh boy that'd make for some amazing gear sets lol. I'd like to 8 wield some 2 hand ra/ex rema weapons

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Funkworkz View Post
    I'd like to hear byrth's opinion on this and how/if it'll affect gearswap users.
    Gearswap already protects against this.

Doesn't work. :0

Before you peeps go modifying your packets and getting banned - don't bother haha.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Established known players say it works. You say it doesnt work.
    Whos word should we take?!?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

And of course there is the fact people have been caught doing it by dozens of people

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by shinzaku View Post
    Doesn't work. :0

Before you peeps go modifying your packets and getting banned - don't bother haha.
    You just forgot the magic sauce.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The part I wonder: Can SE even detect this?

In that I highly doubt SE logs what gear you are wearing all the time. Aside from someone seeing you doing this and reporting you, what are the odds SE's servers keep track of every time you swap gear?

I doubt they can roll back logs and go "ah yes, you were wearing x/y/z pieces of armor on the 24th at 8 pm"

So I wonder if SE actually would notice if someone was synthing with this gear in their moghouse.

I mean the salvage bans show that once SE is aware theyll start monitoring.

Hmm. Probably a stupid idea to do it at this point.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I also doubt they could detect it from logs kept before this was reported. It is possible that they could have since patched their code to log when equipment is put on the wrong slot, but I somewhat doubt they have.

I bet they will ban by report and patch this as soon as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafai View Post
    You just forgot the magic sauce.
    I obviously forgot the magic sauce. :0

One of the offenders from Asura put together a YouTube video saying his character is bugged. I kind of believe him. Although, you can always modify client side to remove the offending gear to take the video. :[

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I'm guessing this is referring to the player on Asura. The player in question has a bazaar comment with a URL. The gear only shows equipped to other people, and not the player. Sounds like a bug to me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Pretty sure some people have tested it and see stats increase

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

if it matters, I wasn't able to get this to work and thought it was patched ages ago. I may have been missing something super obvious though

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    if it matters, I wasn't able to get this to work and thought it was patched ages ago. I may have been missing something super obvious though
    Same. We're missing the magic sauce.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I cant get it to work, therefor there is clearly no exploit
    Why doesnt this guy just equip some lv1 boots on the feet to overwrite the bug? If he's done this, then my bad, no ones shared this video, and I'm not making a char on Asura to get it.