+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I did not get to see it last weekend but will be this!

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Agreed on the marketing. Didn't know this movie existed until like 10 days ago

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Best Spiderman movie, easy. Best animated movie this year, easy. Gonna be very hard to top this.

I'm glad I saw it in 3D. This movie lends itself to 3D very well, being animated and stylized as it is. I think it added a lot.

The only problem I have with the movie (which was practically lost among all the high points) was
    Spoiler: show

Kingpin's motivation wasn't very good. Wanting to have your family back I get, but I feel they needed to add just a little bit more motivation to the dastardly schemes he was concocting.

One of my favorite parts was

the reimagined Doc Ock, she's so great. Her look reminded me of someone, but I can't put my finger on who it is.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Saw it lastnight, it was good. Died laughing when my gf made a joke that doc oct was steve from gamers nexus trying to further overclock kingpins RTX2080ti and had 24hrs to do it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'm seeing this Saturday morning. I don't know where you guys live but here in NYC this movie has been on billboards all over bus stops and shit. They even had an interactive Times Square video add up on one of the big screens.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

finally got to see this. Probably somewhere between first spiderman and homecoming but in a completely different way then either. Animation was... different idk wasn't bad but could've been better. The voice actors though... man glad to see John Mulaney getting more work and I'll watch anything with Nic Cage. Penny Parker was amazing. Need more animu style on big screen. Honestly I was almost more invested in the side spiderpeople and others (like Doc Oct or Aunt May or Uncle) than the ones they really focused on even though they were still great. Kingpin was probably the weakest part of the fill by a longshot.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

My sister actually took me out to see this because I hadn't even heard of it. I loved every minute of it. I honestly enjoyed the experience more than live-action MCU at this point. Animation and sound were both on point. I absolutely teared up a couple times.

The main villain's motivations are explained in a straightforward way and he remains unambiguously bad, which is honestly so refreshing after a slew of MCU films that try very hard to get us to empathize with their villains. Would buy another ticket and see it again.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    The main villain's motivations are explained in a straightforward way and he remains unambiguously bad, which is honestly so refreshing after a slew of MCU films that try very hard to get us to empathize with their villains. Would buy another ticket and see it again.
    It didn't harp on it but Kingpins motivations definitely were designed to garner some level of empathy. Dude was only trying to refind "his" family that got lost in a car accident that he was inadvertently somewhat responsible for. He's still definitely bad for not caring if he literally destroys the entire city to do it but you can definitely feel for what little they fleshed out of his character

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    It didn't harp on it but Kingpins motivations definitely were designed to garner some level of empathy. Dude was only trying to refind "his" family that got lost in a car accident that he was inadvertently somewhat responsible for. He's still definitely bad for not caring if he literally destroys the entire city to do it but you can definitely feel for what little they fleshed out of his character
    I mean, his motivations make sense. He's not just a deranged madman out to destroy things for the sake of destroying them (which would be terrible writing anyway). But it's not like he was a good man who lost his family and went bad. He was a villain. His family found out he was a villain and left him. Then they died. Now he's trying to bring some other version of his family to this dimension where they don't even want to be. I feel no empathy for this character. He is evil and selfish and should not win.

Ridill
    BG Level

I mean, his motivations make sense.

That's all you need. You dont need to feel bad for a villain. You dont need to agree with a villain.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I mean, his motivations make sense. He's not just a deranged madman out to destroy things for the sake of destroying them (which would be terrible writing anyway). But it's not like he was a good man who lost his family and went bad. He was a villain. His family found out he was a villain and left him. Then they died. Now he's trying to bring some other version of his family to this dimension where they don't even want to be. I feel no empathy for this character. He is evil and selfish and should not win.
    Only really difference I can see here between this and half the recent MCU villains is you don't learn how he became a villain. After that point they were almost all completely bad doing bad but for arguably good or at least understable albeit usually less personal reasons. If you need to see the turning point I guess I can't fault you but showing us his him being motivated from real personal tragedy was definitely an attempt to get us to empathize

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

So theater showings are still strong. Went to an afternoon show with friends. Theater was quite full. The fact that the trailer didn't do much to spoil the movie really surprised me. Friends and I are thinking this is going to beat out Incredibles 2 and Wreck It Ralph 2 for awards easily. Spiderman took risks and didn't bore us to death of "hay is a sequel, let's repeat plot." Though lolorigin story plot. God I kept laughing at those comics.

As far as the animation, I was confused at the start but then I understood the artistic direction they went with each universe having a different style akin to their own universes. All the more to appreciate all the diverse art during each spider's comic book + animations and the warm color saturation during the multiverse bits.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

saw it today, and fucking loved it.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Friends and I are thinking this is going to beat out Incredibles 2 and Wreck It Ralph 2 for awards easily.
    I fear it won't because academy voters don't go watch animated movies, if anything they are biased against them.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Good chance at the golden globe next week and the Annie's in February. Agree the Academy is just crap.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

It's domestic box office just passed it's budget this weekend, which is pretty good.
    Holding steady and bringing in about the same amount every week, when the usual trend is week to week declines, esp. in the face of competition, is a decent achievement.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Just won Golden Globe for Animated Feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Just won Golden Globe for Animated Feature.
    Hopefully that'll get even more people to see it.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm happy it did but I really wanted Mirai to win >_>

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Finally got around to seeing it yesterday despite wanting to see it before its release. Basically echoing everyone else in here in that it is an amazing movie and one of the best, if not the best, marvel movie I have seen