+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Never once said she wants to ban memes, only that the decision is entirely up to her regardless of whatever law you might want to bring into it. Your victim complex got old like 3 posts ago.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Never once said she wants to ban memes, only that the decision is entirely up to her regardless of whatever law you might want to bring into it. Your victim complex got old like 3 posts ago.
    What are you even talking about? Where did I say you said she wanted to ban memes?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

And no, she is not above the law, wtf is that shit? By your logic she can just punch a kid if she wants to. You are not making any sense.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Nah you're just overexaggerating. Calm down girl, for reals.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Nah you're just overexaggerating. Calm down girl, for reals.
    Uh no? Seriously explain to me why it's bad we make the rules as per the law so the school is not breaking it. Why is it so wrong that we make sure we are doing the right thing?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Because of the context, if the memes can be taken as inflammatory in nature then the P has every right to censor them regardless of what laws are normally in place. It works out great honesty.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

nflammatory in nature then the P has every right to censor them

I am starting to think you didn't read the law. She needs to have it in writing BEFORE the paper is made. That is the law. We need to have written rules. That is what the meeting is for. To have written rules. This is what the thread is about, to clarify on the rules. She cannot do that unless the rules are already written, which they are not. Do you not get this? Do you not understand we every year get observed to see whether we can remain open as a charter, and now that we have an official paper they could very well ask for these rules? 6 charters were shutdown this year because of not doing things correctly, and while this alone would not shut us down, it can ding us. Why not get the rules made before that happens?

And yes, you can get dinged for stupid shit.

Last year we got dinged for the lockdown toilets not being in clearer sight and for teachers having poster papers on top of cabinets.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

double

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The rules are already there; if the memes in the school paper are inflammatory to someone, and become disruptive in class, the P has every right to discontinue it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Given that you understand that the California Student Free Expression Law gives students wide latitude for expressing free speech, I'm sure you also see that an administrator is going to use "obscene, libelous, or slanderous" and "disruption of the orderly operation" to justify limiting it in order to limit their perceived possible liability.

So if you are looking for a way to defend not censoring your students to the principal, instead of looking at the language of the law, it seems you would be better off finding where the law has been tested and that battle already fought:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ca-court-...l/1443339.html
    http://www.splc.org/article/2015/06/...story-censored

On a side note, I never did journalism in high school, but copy-pasting memes seems a lot like promotion/glorification of plagiarism and not quite the critical analysis or generation of original ideas I'd have have expected from such a course. I mean I get why it would be a fit in a modern student's "comics section" in terms of amusement appeal, but even then it's still not original work.

Edit: although I suppose that's technically the way syndication works

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

The rules are already there; if the memes in the school paper are inflammatory to someone, and become disruptive in class, the P has every right to discontinue it.
    No. How many times do I have to say this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...ion_Code_48907

School authorities can only prohibit publication of stories in school newspapers if they are obscene, libelous, slanderous, or likely to incite others to commit illegal or disruptive acts. Additionally, school districts may not censor, even if the above conditions are met, if the district has not adopted in written form rules and regulations including reasonable provisions for the time, place, and manner in which issues of censorship may be addressed or settled. Thus, even if material falls within the realm of obscene, defamatory, illegal, or disruptive, all reasonable restrictions on school newspapers, school officials may not censor student material simply because no written school district regulations governing publications exist.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teorem View Post
    Given that you understand that the California Student Free Expression Law gives students wide latitude for expressing free speech, I'm sure you also see that an administrator is going to use "obscene, libelous, or slanderous" and "disruption of the orderly operation" to justify limiting it in order to limit their perceived possible liability.

So if you are looking for a way to defend not censoring your students to the principal, instead of looking at the language of the law, it seems you would be better off finding where the law has been tested and that battle already fought:

On a side note, I never did journalism in high school, but copy-pasting memes seems a lot like promotion/glorification of plagiarism and not quite the critical analysis or generation of original ideas I'd have have expected from such a course. I mean I get why it would be a fit in a modern student's "comics section" in terms of amusement appeal, but even then it's still not original work.
    So...precedent is their are other laws giving them wiggle room.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Teorem View Post

Edit: although I suppose that's technically the way syndication works
    I appreciate this post for trying to have a little more meat to it. I think people are confusing where my issue is and stuck on the meme part. If she wants to ban memes, that is irrelevant. What I want is clear rules and expectations so we are obeying the law.

A secondary part to that is to give the students clear expectations that are aligned with the law. The teacher meme is notable as an interesting thing because the AP's concern was he didn't want the students thinking in his words, "Fuck school." And as soon as I told the students I had to remove the memes one's response verbatim was, "Fuck this school." It does more to create this idea that they ban on whims which is definitely not a way to make kids think the school is doing the right thing.

Having clear expectations that are followed consistently, does.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

People here correctly identified your XY problem and thus their posts seem off topic to you. (You ask about problem Y, which came up when trying to solve problem X, instead of asking about problem X.)

Feel free to talk law with a principle, though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    People here correctly identified your XY problem and thus their posts seem off topic to you. (You ask about problem Y, which came up when trying to solve problem X, instead of asking about problem X.)

Feel free to talk law with a principle, though.
    How is telling me not to tell the principal (despite the op saying I already did) because I am new helping to answer my question on interpreting the law? Be specific.

[edit] you ninja edited. I only ever asked about interpreting the law. I never asked anything else.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I appreciate your passion. I'll give ya that.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    This thread isn't as bad as the guy banging the "crazy" Asian doctor and eventually posting a pic of his own cock, but it is definitely a variation of:

>Asks for input
    >Gets input that runs contrary to planned actions
    >Tells everyone they are wrong
    I thought we figured out he was actually the crazy one.... so going by that example she's the shitposter for the school paper?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I appreciate your passion. I'll give ya that.
    It's honestly a passion for rules. This was thrown on me last minute at the beginning of the year (was supposed to just be yearbook), and hopefully I can pawn it off another teacher for next year. The silver lining is that this will create less work for me, not more. Which is what I need.