BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Interior Decoration / Bachelor Pad Ideas

Six years ago I graduated college and have spent the last 5.5 years residing some what in a somewhat transient manner with various GFs, friends, and my parents place. I've been very fortunate to have quickly built a career for myself and have been employed a year now with a major local company in a well paying job (by the standards of someone in their 20s). I'm moving in February into an apartment in a great location that is neither cramped nor dated. As a reflection of my personal growth, I don't want to lean on the smorgasbord junk I've been using for furniture since college and want to completely re-do my own personal furnishings and household items collection over the next couple weekends. I want the end result to feel like an adult apartment, not a college bro apartment. Right now my list of items to consider replacing or buy (if not already owned) includes:

Spoiler: show
    • Balcony Chairs
    • Grill
    • Silverware
    • Glasses
    • Microwave (one of the only kitchen appliances not supplied)
    • Toaster
    • Coffee Table
    • Non-leather couch
    • Dining Table w/ chairs
    • Mattress
    • Bed frame / box spring / etc (whatever it will be resting upon)
    • NIghtstands / Headboard
    • Linens
    • Laundry Hampers
    • Towels, Curtains, etc
    • Entertainment Stand
    • Computer/Office Desk
    • Shelves/Dressers

What general rules/recommendations would people here recommend? What do's and don'ts come to mind? Is there anything I'm missing? Any neat home DIY stuff you'd recommend? I want people to be blown away by the apartment when they visit, but not in a 'look at all the different empty beer/liquor bottles this guy has' college manchild way.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Measure the space carefully.

Also, you typically buy a bed frame/box spring at the same time as a mattress and the mattress is what actually costs money. Get a mattress with good breathability so it's not too hot and maybe make it a little softer than you might think you want just randomly laying down on it. Most places say they have a return/exchange program for mattresses, but ask how you'd get the mattress back to them.

As far as random appliances and stuff, The Sweet Home is a pretty good site (kind of like a free Consumer Reports): http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-toaster/

If you're not adult enough to use coasters consistently, I'd stick with Ikea-tier furniture but maybe move up to their mid-range products.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I think some more information would be helpful -- like what are your tastes in interior design (modern, traditional, rustic, etc?), color preferences, what's the apartment layout, walls, etc.

To add to the recommendation of measuring the space, buy some painters tape (the blue stuff) and if you find furniture you like, outline the space it would take up.

Another thing to consider is how long will you be at this apartment. For instance, one of the best examples I can think of is sectionals -- you wouldn't want to buy an expensive right-arm sectional because it works well in this apartment, move in a year, and then find it no longer works in your new place (happened to an old coworker of mine who did not listen to my advice..).

Oh, and also, know your apartment policy when it comes to grills. If it's on a balcony, it might be a fire hazard, and while everyone might have one, if you're near a particularly annoying neighbor, it can be an issue.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Def not to scale but the living/dining area was pretty big length wise, decent width wise. If I can put the TV on the south wall in this sketch, the couch can have chairs to the side of it since you have that continued room along the width of the apartment. I just don't know how much sun hits at what angles yet. Bedroom is also the length of the apartment running N/S, with closet at the south end. There may be more closets, I can't recall. The kitchen is not big enough to be eat-in and there's a small dead space in the middle for the plumbing/gas/HVAC/cable/internet/etc utility functions. Balcony I would estimate can hold at least four chairs side by side with a table out there too. I'd have to check on the grill.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

How wide is the entrance to the kitchen, is the kitchen open to the dining area at all (is it a breakfast bar or a wall separating the two?), and where's the door to the balcony?

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The door to the balcony is a sliding glass door moving from left to right, so it opens around the 'NY' in balcony with a little bit of balcony space on both sides extending beyond the glass doors. The kitchen to the dining is the size of a normal doorway, maybe even smaller. They said typically when they re-do apartments they need to remove the wall in some units to get the dishwasher, fridge, and stove into place. My apartment is no longer on their available listings page, but here is a photo from an apartment that is mirrored/flipped from mine that gives you an idea of kitchen space size. The wall is literally cropped right off the right edge of this picture.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Make sure to represent the hackey alliance! I have zero DIY talents, but my girlfriend actually thinks these look pretty good on the wall. I have another wall in my living room with some framed trail maps from cool places I've been in the US/New Zealand/Australia (e.g. Zion Natl Park, Abel Tasman in NZ, Breck/Vail/Whistler, etc.). Not really core apartment needs, but some personal interest flair adds a nice element and makes it a bit more "home"y imo.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My advice is to pick a general theme and stick with it. Consistency is good. Having 3 different chairs at a table looks cheap.

I usually use wayfair.com for all furniture stuff. Good desks.

I recently bought a memory foam mattress from Amazon and it's legit as fuck.

These towels will set you up pretty well.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Also pick a color theme for furniture/wall hangings/etc. ~2 main colors and an accent color. Use the main colors throughout the apartment, and the accent color sparingly (think pillows, cushions, rug, etc). Vary it between areas to help delineate the spaces. You can break it for the bathroom/kitchen, just don't go wildly different. As already mentioned, put some personal touches throughout so it doesn't feel like a pre-furnished place. Also don't underestimate the value of some open space. You don't need to cram the place with furniture to make it usable, and showing some restraint gives the impression of taste even if you don't have any (also don't go full spartan).

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Not a necessity, but two or three pieces of tasteful art can really bring out the rooms.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Assuming you're in a big enough city, I would not use Wayfair for a mattress or bed just because comfort is different to everyone and its hard to judge comfort from pictures.

Also, I'm not sure I necessarily agree with the sentiment of two main colors and one accent. Like Zet said, pick a theme and stick with it -- but that goes back to asking about your style tastes, color preferences, etc. Personally, I'm a big fan of modern design, so all my furniture is black, very straight lines, no extra embellishments, etc and I added color with pillows and art. At the same time, some people have told me my home felt cold and sterile. Those people were wrong, but ya know..

But, like I mentioned, it's worth considering how long are you going to be at this location. Based on the cabinets, paint color, appliances, and wood tones (and assuming the look carries throughout the apartment), I think your apartment might be more suitable for a warmer style rather than something super modern. If that's not your style, then maybe don't commit 100% to the furnishings and decor that fits the space.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'll make a separate post with some pics, but one thing I will say. If you are renting just be careful how much stuff you buy. Presumably, you won't be renting forever and when you do move into your "final" home or a place you will be staying for years to come, moving is a bitch the more stuff you have. That's not to say you can't have a nice apartment, but just don't overbuy. Moving with a ton of furniture sucks. You have to make sure it's well wrapped.

Don't go cheap with Ikea. Ashley Furniture is decent. I got my 8 piece living room set (2 tables, 2 lamps, couch, loveseat, coffee table and 8x10 rug) for $3000. They usually have interest free financing for 36 months. If you can pay it off immediately, all the better. Don't let the salesmen hover over you. If possible, go with at least one other person who can talk to people well. They can distract the salesmen while you look around. Having someone hover is annoying as fuck. Buying Furniture is like buying a car. You can always negotiate. Prices are not set in stone, so talk your way down if you can.

Also, don't be afraid to go into stores for ideas. I work at Crate & Barrel as a side job and while I get 30% off anything in the store year round (and 45% once per year) you can get some great ideas for what you want to do. I have bought a lot from the store. Their prices on furniture are outright ridiculous, but some other things aren't too bad with my discount.

Don't feel the need to buy everything at once. Do one or two things at a time. Having just bought a co-op this past year, I would love to go and spend like a madman so it was finished, but don't break the bank just so your apartment looks good. Nothing wrong with doing one piece at a time.

To echo Rooney, pick 2-3 colors and stick with them for the entire apartment. I have 4 counting some white in the living room, but mainly everything is a galactic tint gray with the accent walls being a dark blue. I like cool colors. The bathroom is a shade of turquoise and gray. Same color schemes though. Too many colors makes it too loud. Art also helps a ton. Can make an empty room a lot more full. Don't settle for something at Bed Bath & Beyond or Ikea. There's tons of art out there. You just need to find what you like. I'll post some pictures for stuff I've done.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

For wall decor/artwork take a look at www.greatbigcanvas.com. They constantly cycle between 20/30/40/50% off entire orders so just wait until its 50% off to purchase anything if you find something you like.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Also, I'm not sure I necessarily agree with the sentiment of two main colors and one accent.
    Not a hard and fast rule by any means, just a base for someone starting out. If someone isn't familiar with color/pattern/space/etc, then I recommend keeping it super simple. You can always build up, but it's hard to convince people to scale back.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

To add something about paint. When you're picking out colors DO NOT just solely go off the paint cards. They give you a rough idea, but definitely buy the samples. Better to spend a few buck on each of those than painting the whole wall a color and deciding you don't like it.

Take a white wall and apply the paints. Let them dry for a couple hours so you can really tell how it dries. Buy a little extra paint. You think you need 3 cans? Buy 4. In case you fuck up. Even if you get the same color, if you go back and get another can, it might be slightly off. A second opinion always helps.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

u should get an eames chair exclusively for fucking

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    u should get an eames chair exclusively for fucking
    ayyy I have one of those. Would never fuck in it tho, it's worth too much bruh.

I fucking love interior design but I find myself with 0 ideas for my own house, plz send help. I ain't even buy curtains yet.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

I used to be a real Crate and Barrel head but a lot of their furniture is actually fucking terrible. I hate my couch so much but I cant justify throwing it away yet since it cost like 2 racks

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Current couch shits pretty comfy and the sleeper is great.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    I used to be a real Crate and Barrel head but a lot of their furniture is actually fucking terrible. I hate my couch so much but I cant justify throwing it away yet since it cost like 2 racks
    I will not disagree with you by any means here. I work there and I don't recommend anyone buy the furniture. But all these rich cunts come in and buy it all. Keeps the store in business and me keeping a easy second job.

Some of the furniture that you have to assemble yourself is just fine though. For example: The bar/drinkware to go with it, the leaning ladder bookshelf & kitchen island. Like I said though, 45% discount helps a lot lol. Never will I ever buy a real piece of furniture from there though.

Spoiler: show