Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised. Sony does have the video game rights, right?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

it would be like destiny having a 4th class exclusive to PC though, that level of exclusive content is the kind of bullshit the industry needs to be moving away from

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I figured Spider-Man stuff might be gated for PS and is the only treason I’ve considered PS to get PC. It’s fucking stupid

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Imagine if Bungie added a new class to Destiny 2 but it was only for PS4...
    Usually I dont care for small exclusive content but this is pretty huge due to the type of game this is. Its pretty bad.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

If it was skins or emotes or what-the-fuck-ever, fine sure. I get that.

An entire character that likely has character specific missions like the other heroes do, etc? Go fuck yourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    If it was skins or emotes or what-the-fuck-ever, fine sure. I get that.

An entire character that likely has character specific missions like the other heroes do, etc? Go fuck yourselves
    I was already on the fence about this game, now I know im not gonna get it on any platform.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Probably times exclusive tbh. But if its legit exclusive in perpetuity then yeah im out

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

This seems definitely worded as PS only in perpetuity

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Not surprised in the least. Doesn't Sony still have control of the Spiderman License in media?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

“What, don’t you guys have PlayStations?”

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Not surprised in the least. Doesn't Sony still have control of the Spiderman License in media?
    They only have the movie rights

At this point the only characters Marvel doesn't have absolute control over is Hulk film rights (a solo Hulk film would have to be a Universal production) and Spider-Man and his associated characters (and again, only the film rights).

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    They only have the movie rights

At this point the only characters Marvel doesn't have absolute control over is Hulk film rights (a solo Hulk film would have to be a Universal production) and Spider-Man and his associated characters (and again, only the film rights).
    Thought it applied to games as well as the last spiderman solo game was done in house by Sony.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Thought it applied to games as well as the last spiderman solo game was done in house by Sony.

Just movies.

We saw Spider Man and Venom both as part of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite which was also on Xbox and PC.

Also Ultimate Alliance 3, which Spider Man characters

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    god damn it
    Shit, maybe we can treat it like old Division and get a BG group going. I'm still undecided if I'm in on this or not, endless gear grinds just aren't my thing anymore.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

This is kinda how I feel. I'm curious but it feels like a grind game and I just hate those.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas.../#3b172a4051a0

Beta impressions from Forbes' shlooter guy Paul Tassi.

It’s taking elements from Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Destiny and even Anthem (the good parts).

What I think Avengers does best, at least from this limited test, is its character kits. This game has a very tricky line to walk. It’s a superhero game, so everyone is going to be comparing it to classics like Arkham or Spider-Man. The problem? It has six different heroes at launch and at least three more coming soon after. By default, that means combat almost cannot be as polished as those games since there are so many characters we’re splitting time between.

All characters share a certain base, light attacks and heavy attacks and usually some sort of dodge/parry combo. Holding L2 will aim, hitting R2 will fire…something, depending on who you are. That could be guns for Black Widow, rockets or lasers for Iron Man, stretchy arms for Ms. Marvel and even the Hulk has a projectile, where he rips a chunk of earth out of the ground and throws it at enemies.

Black Widows is, of course, an assassin, and spends her time zipping around with a grappling hook, firing her guns and using shock weapons to stun enemies and set up takedown executions.

Hulk is a brute force of nature who can pick up enemies and slam them into other enemies, and has to manage an intrinsic “rage” meter that when activated, gives him armor and heals him, as he’s always absorbing a ton of damage.

Ms. Marvel is the most ground focused with her stretchy arm and leg combos, and dealt the most brawler damage of the bunch, with my loadout. Her “ultimate” move (all characters have one) has her going supersized which is both hilarious and extremely effective against enemies as she deals massive damage in that form.

Iron Man is…an Anthem javelin. I’m not kidding. Crystal Dynamics has smartly stolen more or less the exact flight control scheme from Anthem and ditched the fuel meter so you can just fly around shooting off rockets, lasers and repulsor blasts while barrel rolling away from missiles.

Combat is very arcadey. Don’t go into this expecting Arkham or Tsushima. This is a brawler, especially since you’re almost always in a team of four, and things get wildly chaotic. You can dodge and block but you will also be just mashing your way through things a lot. It’s fun, and may get more technical at higher levels, but just manage your expectations. Again, think more Ultimate Alliance.

I was mixed on my AI teammates. In open combat, they were competent, and geared with the stuff I had grinded for them, they were able to do significant damage on their own. The problem, however, is that’s pretty much all they can do. They just don’t recognize objectives at all. Like if I’m in a room where it’s required that we stand on three plates to charge up something, I will have to run around to all three plates myself while they just fight random enemies in the middle. They will not destroy things that need to be destroyed as an objective most of the time. They have a weird aversion to turrets where I constantly found myself needing to go around killing 8 lofted turrets or so before every encounter since they wouldn’t bother with them otherwise.

Finally, I just didn’t figure out a way to make them do anything. For instance, in one mission there’s a chest behind a door that can only be smashed by a brawler like Hulk. As Black Widow, I literally could not get through it, but I also could not figure out how to issue a simple command to AI Hulk like “smash that door.” Kind of a big no-no for anything squad based.

Loot does a few different things, like increases your stats that do different forms of damage. For instance, I could get a lot of “Might” heavy gear, which would make my Black Widow a great brawler. But if I got “Ranged” gear instead, I am likely better off picking off targets with my high caliber pistol from a distance.

Past that, there are other modifiers that do a variety of things in combat. There are some forms of bonus damage you might unlock at the tail end of a combo (Pym Particles, Cosmic and Gamma damage standing in for Fire, Electric, Corrosive, etc). You might boost the cooldown of one of your three special skills (which have very long cooldowns without any boosts, similar to Destiny).

The problem with loot? This might be the only looter I’ve ever seen where nothing about any of the loot has a physical appearance in the game. Diablo and Destiny and Division armor and weapons all show up in-game as physical objects. Anthem has a “component” system which makes armor pieces cosmetic, but it does still have physical weapons.

Avengers has none of that. There are four gear slots and three artifact slots, but your characters appearance will always be determined by a cosmetic skin, similar to Fortnite.

Finally, what I would consider the worst aspect of the beta and something that does have me somewhat concerned about the finale game is how copy and pasted so much of it felt. I am sure that there will be more highly individualized action sequences like the Golden Gate Bridge opener, and yet for most of the missions in the beta, it felt like we were going through the same sets of 6-8 different hallways and ending up in the same 6-8 different rooms. Some activities, the smaller ones called “Drop Zones” were often little more than two hallways and a single room of enemies, like some sort of dressed up challenge room. But there are also literal challenge rooms too, HARM simulators that take place in blank virtual spaces.

But the problem was that even many of the larger missions still felt like a ton of elements were repeating themselves, both visually and gameplay wise. The same locked doors with one of two ways to open them. The same rooms where you stand on plates or destroy servers or reactor parts. A few of these had very slim story elements, but even the “grand finale” activity of the beta, the villain lair, was more or less just a longer version of what had come before, plus a somewhat complicated end boss.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/sta...615054342?s=20

GI's impressions scare the hell out of me.... GI is usually so fucking pro-developer with impressions that the fact they are concerned signals a dumpsterfire...

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Here's a video review of it from Gaming Bolt. It sounds about as expected. Button mashy, but each character plays uniquely. Gear grind is a thing and feels very out of place. The reviewer is excited by the hub, but I just get flash backs to the Division and how useless upgrading the hub was over time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast