+ Reply to Thread
    Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Laptop Fans Continuously Dying

Hey guys,

So I've had this Lenovo Yoga 13 for about 4 years now and several weeks ago I started to notice that the system fan was dying (one of the blades wasn't spinning up properly and started clicking, and eventually both blades starting grinding and whirring and failing to spin).

I figured replacing the fan shouldn't a huge deal so I bought a new part on Amazon. When I installed the first replacement fan, one of the blades failed to spin up. I figured the fan was probably DoA and ordered a second replacement on Amazon which spun right up when I installed it.

Barely 3 weeks later the second replacement fan I installed is whirring, grinding, and starting to fail.

Before I go buy yet another replacement fan for this machine, is it possible that some other easily replaceable component is dying or in need of maintenance and resulting in this string of dead fans? Alternatively, is there a better place than Amazon to be shopping for this sort of thing where I could find a more reliable product?

Thanks!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Since you have the spare "dead" one, could try oiling up the fan's innards and seeing if it spins up. Something like in these two links:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Fan/?ALLSTEPS
    http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

Not your exact fan but they're generally pretty similar when trying to maintain them, though yours are probably both gunked up with dust or other stuff from age. The fan you ordered online was probably used and pulled from a dead laptop, so time remaining is a crapshoot. Can force the fan to spin up with compressed air, to help lube the barrings, but it could be something else that's stopping the fan.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

I'll give that a try, thanks!