Thread: GTX 1070 Recommendation     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

GTX 1070 Recommendation

Hi all, I'll be upgrading my video card to a gtx 1070 when I get my taxes back and was just comparing a few cards on amazon.com

I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge of the best manufacturer for the money.

I want to stay under 400 bucks, which seems very doable looking at amazon and new egg.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1070-...n%3A6066318011

That page has a comparison chart of a few different 1070's however there seems to be a pretty large discrepancy in memory clock speed that I feel has to be a typo.

The memory clock speed for MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready (GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC) says that it is 8008 mhz, and all the other cards on that list are 1600 - 1800 mhz. Is the 8008 mhz a typo?

Is there much of a difference between manufacturers? I know that I don't want a zotac, I've had nothing but problems with my zotac 760 since I got it, had to rma the first one I received and have had nothing but crashing issues with the 2nd one I received. Saving 20 bucks isn't worth all the frustration I've had to deal with over the last few years.

I was thinking evga, msi, asus, or gigabyte, but I can't really tell if any of them offer a sizable advantage over another, aside from the obvious differences in the cooler that they put on.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

What you're seeing is the memory's clock speed at 8008mhz which while important isn't the main driving factor of how well a card will perform. At the end of the day whatever 1070 you go with will run about the same clock speeds. You're mostly paying for ascetics, cooling and rgb if there is any.

Also any software that you use to monitor and overclock your card is going to read your memory clock at 4004mhz because software doesn't take into account ddr multiplying the clock speeds by 2.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So at that point my question is which manufacturer has the the best cooler? The one with the largest form factor? I figure larger fans can move more air.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

For a 1070 I'd only consider $340 or less with sales and promos which is very doable. However, I'd wait another 4-6 weeks before making the purchase as per the rumor mill AMD's Vega will release the beginning of March. With the current rumors of the cpu crushing Intel on price to performance, if the gpu also fairs well we could see a price decrease on the 1070 and possibly 1080.

If I was buying a 1070 today I'd be looking for MSI, Zotac, or EVGA, although the last had the issue with cards catching fire. It's supposed to be fixed. I'm a huge MSI fan though due to great performance and great RMA service.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I have an MSI Aero 1070. Love it. I chose it because it has a blower-style cooler, needed for my extremely small case, and I did not want to waste money on a Founders Edition.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Larger fans can move the same amount of air with less rotations, so they should be a bit quieter than cards with smaller fans. But that doesn't factor in that the manufacturer can screw up on the speed control profiles or stuff like coil whining...
    In the end it's always a bit of luck. My last cards all had pretty large fans/coolers, and with a little speed profile tweaking through MSI afterburner they all ran well without too much noise.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Have had an EVGA FTW (original batch, mine never caught fire but I did install the now-factory-standard additional memory cooling strips) 1070 and it's p great, I have yet to see it break 60C (and neither has HWMonitor, which I've been keeping on lately to monitor my CPU's temps as I believe the pump in my heatsink may be failing; in around 217 hours of recording it has seen the maximum temperature to be exactly 60C) and I have Black Desert (graphically demanding MMO) running just about 24/7, have also played some other demanding games with it with similar thermal results (Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, etc.). Aesthetically pleasing with RGB lighting and my chip came with some nice OC overhead (not really anything to do with the brand though). Mostly went with EVGA 'cause I had horrible RMA nightmares with MSI regarding my previous set of 780s, didn't want a repeat of that. Also like the idea of the step-up program, if the 1080ti comes out and I decide I want one I can just pay the difference and upgrade to it without having to find a buyer to resell to.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Also have an MSI Gaming GTX 1070 in my rig. Smooth as butter. Top notch performance. For twin fans it's low noise, and moderate heat. Comparable price to other manufacturer's cards. Can't recommend enough.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

EVGA is who I have been rocking since the 500 series of cards, I'm in the same standing as proth with ftw w/ thermal pad mod. I wouldn't be too surprised if we see the FTW2 make its way to the 1070 line up but by the time you deiced to purchase one it may not be available. EVGA also has an amazing step-up program if you enjoy your card and want to get the next tier or even bump it up to a 1080 they'll allow you to within their grace period, along with one of the best customer service experiences you could hope to have.

I can't vouch for other companies but you'd see almost nothing but praise with how EVGA handles their RMA process in the event something goes wrong with your product.