+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Wikileaks / Vault 7     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

These tools specifically? Maybe not. But the actions possible with these tools has been going on, state sponsored even, for ages. Nothing new other than we have some new nouns to throw around.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams
    Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Carry on then, didn't realize you guys knew all this stuff in this release.
    We all pretty much guessed/knew they were up to this, but if you or I tried to say it out loud they woulda never agreed with us.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

anyway this is kindof like reporting that the secret recipe to RC cola has been leaked but reporting it in such a way that makes people believe it's the coca cola recipe

no one cares because we aren't even that great at this particular part of intelligence / surveillance / whatever, relative to rival nationstates

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Yeah and just like 8k pages of details on the matter, I appreciate the explanation of what the CIA does and has done guys really.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zoner View Post
    We all pretty much guessed/knew they were up to this, but if you or I tried to say it out loud they woulda never agreed with us.
    oh come on man u dont gotta play the victim all the time, i thought you were WINNING!

if u had asked me at any point in the past 10 years if the CIA has been developing and utilizing tools to hack the internet of things i wouldve said "well they fucking better be" because that is their job and i pay for them to do it

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Day, when did you go off the fucking deep end?

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

How am I off the deep end? You guys are talking to me like I didn't know that the CIA has and uses hacking tools.

I find this kind of thing intriguing and seeing a massive release about it is interesting to me. Thought we could discuss the details and any new revelations but everyone seems to be in a rush to be insufferable cunts about it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    oh come on man u dont gotta play the victim all the time, i thought you were WINNING!

if u had asked me at any point in the past 10 years if the CIA has been developing and utilizing tools to hack the internet of things i wouldve said "well they fucking better be" because that is their job and i pay for them to do it
    The winning side? Pfft I'm on the side that WON, 4 months later and liberals still can't accept it! Hey doesn't this CIA release tell us technically not only did they have Trump wiretapped but all of us as well?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Oh god. When did you get back?

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Day, when did you go off the fucking deep end?
    His trajectory reminds me a lot of my close friend. Bernie supporter in the primaries, and then a ton of things happened, and now he's not only ready to believe anything, but seems to be convinced that everything is some conspiracy that is meant to be hidden from us. I actually had to talk to him about the fact that a "globalist v. nationalist" divide in our country is not the result of some secret shadow government but an ctual ideological chasm that is very much in the open and being discussed.

The CIA using hacking tools is not a secret, it is a function of their job. And the fact that they are not well-protected and are spread all over the world is a fact of life in that industry. And that even if it were a protected agency secret we don't have the best ones around because we're not as good at this as a few of our rivals are.

It's weird. It's like a lot of people just had this switch flipped where they went from healthy skepticism to abject denial of anything coming from the "deep state" "establishment" as being in earnest, or good for people, etc. Like all of a sudden people believe our government has the power to be way more secretive and functional than it actually ever has been.

IDK, I really wish I could have some of you folks work in DC for a year, and then see what you'd still believe was possible or probable.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

FWIW this is an internet video game forum for a game that hasn't been relevant in 10 years and has a skewed demographic towards people who are interested in computer science, coding, and technology. This stuff is literally common knowledge and stuff many of us actively work towards developing or testing tools against this kinda crap.

Hell, there are twitter accounts dedicated to people hacking people's wifi controlled pools or thermostats and whatever and then using that to gain access to the entire home network literally just because they can.

I don't know how to convey that this is not new stuff in a way you dont take as offensive or sarcastic, but yeah. Barring the *specific* details of tools, this is common knowledge and has actually been discussed here ad nauseum in this specific subforum.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

You guys can any of these leaked CIA tools help me improve my overwatch ranking?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    You guys can any of these leaked CIA tools help me improve my overwatch ranking?
    You can purchase my copy of NASA for $600

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Hey doesn't this CIA release tell us technically not only did they have Trump wiretapped but all of us as well?
    So if the CIA has everyone tapped, does that mean everything that has come from them is true and Trump likes getting pissed on my Russian prostitutes? Phew, that's a load off my mind.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Oh god. When did you get back?
    I've been here the whole time watching yall doing a rendition of chicken little to every piece Trump news sitting back like:

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I've been here the whole time watching yall doing a rendition of chicken little to every piece Trump news sitting back like:
    I think you misunderstand what is happening. The sky is falling on your boy and his cronies.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    FWIW this is an internet video game forum for a game that hasn't been relevant in 10 years and has a skewed demographic towards people who are interested in computer science, coding, and technology. This stuff is literally common knowledge and stuff many of us actively work towards developing or testing tools against this kinda crap.

Hell, there are twitter accounts dedicated to people hacking people's wifi controlled pools or thermostats and whatever and then using that to gain access to the entire home network literally just because they can.

I don't know how to convey that this is not new stuff in a way you dont take as offensive or sarcastic, but yeah. Barring the *specific* details of tools, this is common knowledge and has actually been discussed here ad nauseum in this specific subforum.
    Sorry I bored you with my friendship

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    So if the CIA has everyone tapped, does that mean everything that has come from them is true and Trump likes getting pissed on my Russian prostitutes? Phew, that's a load off my mind.
    Pretty much the opposite, if they had any actual evidence it would be plastered all over the place instead of them faking Russian fingerprints.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

We (which perhaps means Russia, in this case) need to stop handicapping ourselves with national security leaks that aren't in the interest of the common good. Which is to say, nothing claimed is particularly surprising and if you asked me to describe the digital recon capabilities of the CIA I would have given you a description of most of these abilities. This leak doesn't seem to show that those powers were being abused to monitor citizens or anything, so it doesn't serve our interests. It undercuts the abilities of the CIA to do its job by giving detail where formerly there was none, and it serves no other purpose.

One common theme with the Snowden leak, however, is that government contractors need some extreme vetting.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Pretty much the opposite, if they had any actual evidence it would be plastered all over the place instead of them faking Russian fingerprints.
    Yeah, you're right. The Court of Public Opinion is the appropriate avenue for pursuing charges against the President.