Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Getting 2.4k back :0

Gonna buy one of these
    Spoiler: show

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

We used to get undertaxed at one of my jobs so changed my status as married but withhold at a higher single rate, works well for us being married with no kids and no dependents.

We usually get about $2500 back between state and federal.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

This year was 724 back on Fed, 800 on State, and my 3 months of driving Uber/Lyft, I had 800 set aside for taxes, deductions made my tax liability for them about $100 bucks which our existing withholding's covered. Feels good man.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    I hope you set aside my dude. I did that shit for one year like 3 yrs ago not even full time contracting and owed 7k, almost got it paid off.
    Yeah, I do it quarterly because fuck trying to keep track and pay it off all at once and itemize deductions for a whole year of supplies.

Faster than Walt Flanagan's Dog
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

For the last 8 years before this year always went to a CPA because we owned rental property and neither wife or I wanted to deal with all the details that went along with it. Since we sold all that off at the end of 2015 I figured I try it myself this year. Used Credit Karma tax. I was really pleased at how easy it was to use and it was completely free (didn't notice any restrictions based on salary). It will walk you through a bunch of questions and if you answer yes it will take you to where you need to fill in the numbers. Pretty much every field had a help button that would tell you what form you needed to fill it out and where to look on that form. Will definitely be going back to that next year assuming it's still offered.

Getting back over $4k combined for the first time I can remember, thanks kids and nearly crippling student loan interest!

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

We're going to HR Block tomorrow. It's our first year married and idk if we're withholding correctly. Plus, my wife withdrew from a retirement account and we're unsure how we'll be taxed on it. Hopefully last year of HR.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Any tips for us Canadians? Going to hurt this year. Made 40% more previous year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

First year married, had some investment changes and a couple weird tax things to handle so went to H&R with a lady we've known for years. Getting just over 8k back and 1k state for our first time joint filing, gonna make some changes at our employers so we stop paying so much. Found a nice education credit at least.

Next year we'll do ourselves. I've had years where she has beaten out turbotax by a few hundred and years she is the same, now that the big stuff is over with we can comfortably avoid her.

Need to figure out what to do with her old 401k though. Could toss it into her current 403b or roll into a IRA/Roth. It's not much though so might just go 403b.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Getting $2150 back this year, thanks EIC!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Another year of paying into shit back. Fuck taxes.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

$5.7k returns

E-5 Military and a kid.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

I think it's great some people get the tax credits and kid credits but fuck sometimes it's annoying .

Just tired of hearing how " rich" people are after taxes just to blow it on garbage then complain the rest of the year how poor they are and can't afford shit for themselves or their kids. On the average I question people to begin with and have unfortunately personally known people to try be have more kids before year end just to get more money. Like what in the actual fuck - what about the next 18+ years of providing the necessities among unforeseen situations and shit. Yet if you choose not to have them or can't you don't get shit back at one point, or on the flip side if you are too successful. It's a fucking racket all around but hearing my coworkers getting $3k-6k back then bitch about things the rest of the year is annoying.

I admit I haven't been the smartest with my finances all my life and learned some hard lessons but it boggles my mind how those with others to support can be so frivolous then want outside help without looking at the bigger picture. It's official I've become bitter lol.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

So you're mad that people are stupid.

It seems we have much in common.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Putting in my info and looks like we owe 1k. Kinda my fault as the beginning of the year for like a month hubby was on unemployement so I took deductions based on that, then forgot to change it once he got the job.

I have a question about this though:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    like first time homebuyer's credits
    We bought our house last year, but it seems like there are no more first time buyer credits. Anyone know if that is true? I thought we were gonna get a little something for it, but the only thing is a very small return on interest payments and PMI.

I haven't submitted yet because I am still researching.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    So you're mad that people are stupid.

It seems we have much in common.
    Pretty much. I've worked customer service over 20 years so that goes without saying

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Putting in my info and looks like we owe 1k. Kinda my fault as the beginning of the year for like a month hubby was on unemployement so I took deductions based on that, then forgot to change it once he got the job.

I have a question about this though:

We bought our house last year, but it seems like there are no more first time buyer credits. Anyone know if that is true? I thought we were gonna get a little something for it, but the only thing is a very small return on interest payments and PMI.

I haven't submitted yet because I am still researching.
    It has expired; I was just using it as an example of a one-time adjustment that could skew your refund amount upwards even with perfect withholdings. It was mostly used as an incentive to help restart the housing market after the CMBS/etc. debacle of 2008-2009.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Had a kid on December 12th of last year. He's basically free money.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Re: Student loans

When you make above a certain amount you can't claim 'em.

Once I hit that level I was like "Yeah fuck these, paying them off"

E. Body
    BG Level

Not sure if this was mentioned, but freetaxusa.com has a coupon code for 10% off too XD FREETAXUSA10. Only like $1.10 tho, but that's still like 4 chicken nuggets!

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

2.5K on it's way.

DON'T FORGET TO FILE LAST DAY IS APRIL 18th (15th if you're a pleb)