+ Reply to Thread
    i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

BG Wiki December - February Update

December-February Changes

Given the holiday seasons and that after that Carrot and I were on our anniversary trip for 2.5 weeks. A lot of recording of changes was skipped,

but...

here we go~, ↑d8t3 time!

Wiki Changes:

*Better disambiguation pages. Cardian now links to cardians, bat now links to bats, etc. These may seem basic, but until they are stumbled upon they don’t get fixed.

*Updates to some random Mob family pages.

*Updates to the Omen Page

*Escutcheons Page created.

*Funkworkz added a shit ton more NPC vendors to item pages. Most are now in the wiki.

*Funk has also updated more Key Item pages and updated the conquest point item reward pages.

*Ohgami finalized his review of any missing magian trials on the wiki, and added them.

*Ohgami converted various armor pages to templates and handled the Omen set pages.

*Pooty vastly updated the Records of Eminence page with objectives.

*Various item pages were updated or had information added, which includes yet even more vendors.

*Several users have been updating the Garden Furrows page

*Guild points for many/most Alchemy, Leather, Clothcraft, and Cooking have been added. Sorry, I don’t have the other crafts

*"Used in other synths" templates were added to several pages, but this is still a sore spot and work in progress as it always is.

*The relic weapons page was overhauled. Instead of a chart listing the currency requirements and wait times, all items required have been added to the chart, locations to trade, and details on how to handle each step of the upgrade (instead of just the wait times) are now on the page.

Guides:

*Cubswoo created an Alchemy guide
    *I created a Leathercraft guide.
    *Oghami created many Crafting guides
    *Vyy created the Collaborative DNC guide
    *Other guides are still in development. Anyone else is free to contribute information or equipment sets to the collaborative guides.

----
    Any feedback is welcome as we continue to improve the best FFXI wiki around.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Just a thought if you're looking for something to review.

Category: combatskill pages. Category: dagger, etc. They're wildly inconsistent in what's on the page.

Category: Polearm is literally just a list of polearms. Well, and an opening paragraph. Whereas Category:Club has sections for job skill rating, weaponskills, and gear with skill+.

To go one further, even pages that have the same sections vary. Category:club's ws section just has ws name, skill requirement and description. The category:dagger page also has stat modifiers and SC properties. oh, and the formatting varies for the skill req tables.

Anyway, what should or shouldn't be included on these pages is up for discussion, but I do think that what ever is included should be consistent across all weapon types.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I don't see the use of having a giant list of weapons on the category page when we get it for free (albeit without stats) by using the Category: tag in the first place. If someone is actually searching for items with specific stats, they're going to have to use FFXIAH anyway. My ideal version of that page looks something like this. I removed the giant table of weapons, removed the redundant headers, and turned the WS table into a template (so it could also be reused on the Weapon Skills page with only one place to edit the contents). The page is now much smaller, cleaner looking, and approximately just as useful.

The most common complaint I've heard about BGwiki is that the obtainment methods for items are lacking or inconsistent. For instance, the Scroll of Drain has no obtainment method. The Scroll of Aspir has a comment about the quest it comes from. The Scroll of Sleepga II uses a template. These are the first 3 items I searched for. I know that I frequently find things using the "What links here?" feature, but I don't think most people know to use that and I don't really think they should have to. It's generally difficult to identify pages that lack information, which is why we put the {{Category:Item Info}} tag on every newly created item page (only to be removed if the item's info is complete). Unfortunately, there are 7520 items in that category at the moment, but I see bringing it down to 0 as one of the major projects that would help the wiki.

It would be nice to get a consensus list of the active "Item obtained" templates and when they should be used.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Martel View Post
    Category: combatskill pages. Category: dagger, etc. They're wildly inconsistent in what's on the page.

Category: Polearm is literally just a list of polearms. Well, and an opening paragraph. Whereas Category:Club has sections for job skill rating, weaponskills, and gear with skill+.

To go one further, even pages that have the same sections vary. Category:club's ws section just has ws name, skill requirement and description. The category:dagger page also has stat modifiers and SC properties. oh, and the formatting varies for the skill req tables.
    This is on my to-do list, but it was more important to work on npc prices/item page prices. They are mostly done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I don't see the use of having a giant list of weapons on the category page when we get it for free (albeit without stats) by using the Category: tag in the first place. If someone is actually searching for items with specific stats, they're going to have to use FFXIAH anyway. My ideal version of that page looks something like this. I removed the giant table of weapons, removed the redundant headers, and turned the WS table into a template (so it could also be reused on the Weapon Skills page with only one place to edit the contents). The page is now much smaller, cleaner looking, and approximately just as useful.
    This list is auto-generated, and it is literally 5-10 minutes of effort to keep them updated. The biggest advantage is the information is correct unlike FFXIAH's category browser which will not be updated in the foreseeable future. There is no other place to see a complete list of categorized gear. If neatness is your goal i can edit the tables to make them cleaner.

The most common complaint I've heard about BGwiki is that the obtainment methods for items are lacking or inconsistent. For instance, the Scroll of Drain has no obtainment method. The Scroll of Aspir has a comment about the quest it comes from. The Scroll of Sleepga II uses a template. These are the first 3 items I searched for. I know that I frequently find things using the "What links here?" feature, but I don't think most people know to use that and I don't really think they should have to. It's generally difficult to identify pages that lack information, which is why we put the {{Category:Item Info}} tag on every newly created item page (only to be removed if the item's info is complete). Unfortunately, there are 7520 items in that category at the moment, but I see bringing it down to 0 as one of the major projects that would help the wiki.
    Yeah they are inconsistent, but i have been working on them. I can only do so much, the more editors the better. Almost all NPC item sales are done, only a few left to go. The {{Category:Item Info}} i have found to be very vague. I always ask myself "at what point is this item done"? its an endless battle, and that tag could honestly still be on all pages.

It would be nice to get a consensus list of the active "Item obtained" templates and when they should be used.
    We have this: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Templates and another project I have been working on is this: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/User:Funk.../editing_guide

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I like the sortable weapon lists tbh, being able to look through highest damage||dps weapons a class can equip for that type is at least sometimes useful. FFXIAH can't sort like that afaik, and it doesn't display everything on search if there are too many results.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Funkworkz View Post
    This list is auto-generated, and it is literally 5-10 minutes of effort to keep them updated. The biggest advantage is the information is correct unlike FFXIAH's category browser which will not be updated in the foreseeable future. There is no other place to see a complete list of categorized gear. If neatness is your goal i can edit the tables to make them cleaner.
    You can use the Item Power Search feature of FFXIAH to search within item categories. As long as it's effort-wise free though, I don't see a problem with it. It just makes the page larger.

Yeah they are inconsistent, but i have been working on them. I can only do so much, the more editors the better. Almost all NPC item sales are done, only a few left to go. The {{Category:Item Info}} i have found to be very vague. I always ask myself "at what point is this item done"? its an endless battle, and that tag could honestly still be on all pages.
    I generally consider an item page "complete" if it's not missing the initial obtainment method. I think the idea was to stick an Item Info category tag on every newly imported item and remove it when we figured out where it came from. If there's specific information missing, I put a:
    Code:
    == Notes ==
    * Stat+{{question}}%
    and let it get tossed to the Information Needed category, because it's more specific. There are always going to be additional obtainment methods added, additional uses for items, etc., but I'd say that's an issue for later.

We have this: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Templates and another project I have been working on is this: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/User:Funk.../editing_guide
    Good to know, thanks!

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Martel View Post
    Just a thought if you're looking for something to review.

Anyway, what should or shouldn't be included on these pages is up for discussion, but I do think that what ever is included should be consistent across all weapon types.
    A project I started and never finished (there are so many distractions I just move from one thing to the next) was adding the WSs and skill caps to all the weapon pages. I will get back to it.

I think it is time to remove the "modified by equipment skill" from the 75 era as no one needs to know that a love torque grants dagger skill anymore since it is not a common stat where it was once rare.

You can use the Item Power Search feature of FFXIAH to search within item categories. As long as it's effort-wise free though, I don't see a problem with it. It just makes the page larger.
    The FFXIAH search page (many people don't even know about) has a bug that is likely not to be fixed anytime soon that I just pointed out to Rooks. Any multistat line (Pet: is a prime example) will only return the first result. So if you search pet attack you will not turn up the Empath Necklace, Thurandaut ring, etc. Where if you search pet Accuracy you will.

Besides that, I don't see anything wrong with keeping a list of all the equipment in the game. I wouldn't want to ever leave a clear task of a wiki in the hands of something like AH.com.

The more people that use BG for something simple like the equipment master lists, the more contribution occurs.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The page https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Attack_Speed has Hasso listed as 5% haste when /sam. I'm pretty damn sure that's bullshit.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it's bullshit.

ftr, that page is a perfect example of this.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah, it's bullshit.

ftr, that page is a perfect example of this.
    TY for fixing that.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

One thing I liked about old wiki recently is I can use it for guild points. I generally used the guild pattern at ffxiah then click on the item then the old wiki link to check how to get it. Recently someone went and marked all the items you can purchase with sparks. I dont mean one page with all sparks items, i mean each item page that you could get with sparks had that info and how many sparks they were. When I have checked BGwiki for GP points, often times there is not even a recipe for the item (there also was a page on it that had like all the GP items for each craft tho but it lacked gold which of course was what i was doin, but thats neither here nor there.)

Well just thought I would float this out there as an idea, Thank you for all you guys do.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Trumpy,

Every recipe (except for a couple kit recipes) should be on bg. I am not sure what you are talking about when you mention that. Otherwise, Spark-purchasable items will be done this weekend! We also have been working on GP recently, especially due to their new demand because of the crafting shields.

I am also pretty sure Ohgami is working on the tables you mentioned for all GP items.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

It may have been a while since i even checked BGwiki specifically for GP items. the main thing i wanted to float out there was the sparks thing. It is good to hear this stuff is in the works tho!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ohgami just finished all sparks NPCs today! We are all continuing work on GP items.