+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    About that Intel point Gryff, I bought that $32 Asus Z170 Zet posted about and got a G4560. I'm screwed aren't I....
    The G4560 is a great cpu, but yeah your upgrades are strictly limited to socket 1151 ( skylake/kaby lake [ with a bios upgrade - do it ASAP, you need a cpu in the board to do it lol ] ).

You'll be able to pickup a beast i7 kaby lake second hand in a year or two for a good price and they are great cpus.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Oh I meant BIOS compatibility. I bought to do a budget build and sell. I have my 1700X and B350M Arctic Mortar waiting in the wings.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    $70-250 mobo $100-300 ram, $200-450 cpu.

The imo good reason to go AMD right now is simple - intel fucks it's customers.
    People on Kaby Lake and Skylake cannot use their existing motherboards on the kaby lake/skylake refreshes, just 1 half gen later.

AM3 supported AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+.

AM4 is due for support until 2020, which means Ryzen+ ( the refresh ) will be compatible, it means Raven Ridge ( The upcoming Ryzen APU [ CPU with integrated GPU ) will be compatible, etc etc.
    You don't have to throw your motherboard away and re setup your whole fucking system, just buy a new cpu.

It also means you can do a budget route like mobo+R1400/1500/1600 +ram and upgrade in a year or two, or even 2 years down the line and you'll be saving money.

Honestly? I couldn't give two shits if Intel refreshes motherboards every two releases. My old i7 system has served me for 8+ years. If I get half of that from my next system, i'll be happy.

Sure, it would be great if Intel supported a motherboard chipset for 3 years (which is 3 generations of chips for intels yearly releases). But I don't plan on buying a PC every year or two, so it doesn't really affect me.

All I care about is the performance for my usage - which Intel does better at, which is why i'm waiting for Coffeelake. That said i wouldn't say no to a Ryzen system at work...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

So Mindfactory (a pretty big hardware online shop in Germany/Europe) released sales numbers comparing AMD vs. Intel, and in august Ryzen sold better than Core i processors.
    It's of course just the CPUs bought by ppl who build their rigs themselves, but it's a great signal that AMD is definitely back in the game.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ook_intel_cpu/

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

**site derped, accidental double post**

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    So Mindfactory (a pretty big hardware online shop in Germany/Europe) released sales numbers comparing AMD vs. Intel, and in august Ryzen sold better than Core i processors.
    It's of course just the CPUs bought by ppl who build their rigs themselves, but it's a great signal that AMD is definitely back in the game.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ook_intel_cpu/
    I'd imagine a lot of people are holding off until Coffeelake though. Would be interesting to do a comparison at the end of the year.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Anyone holding off for a new Intel chip better be doing so if they are using an i2600, anything recent from Skylake or Kabylake will not see any dramatic performance increase as it's all been the same 14nm chipset. Won't be surprised of Coffee is the same.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

*edit, double. Is BG dying?!

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I've seen a TON of doubles lately. Strange indeed.

Linus recently did another run of Ryzen vs. Intel and as far back as the 3570K (for pure gaming) there is no reason for an Intel user to upgrade. But if you multitask or do other work where multi-threading is important than Ryzen 5/7 slays.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Intel Gamer. But yeah, that video was pretty spot on. They don't offer anything really considering developers for our (Read: Gaming) market still optimize primarily for Intel Chipsets and drivers.

I built Ryzen 5 setup for a my friend last month since he planned some streaming and gave him my box for a comparison. My gaming blew his out the water but streaming was neck and neck. Saving grace was, and largely thanks to the BG fam, he saved about $200 over mine.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

About to start editing a set of 35-40 videos over the next 6 weeks. Will be the first extended stress test of my Ryzen system. I'm pretty stoked.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Anyone holding off for a new Intel chip better be doing so if they are using an i2600, anything recent from Skylake or Kabylake will not see any dramatic performance increase as it's all been the same 14nm chipset. Won't be surprised of Coffee is the same.
    I don't disagree. My i7 870 is really showing its age.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I've seen a TON of doubles lately. Strange indeed.

Linus recently did another run of Ryzen vs. Intel and as far back as the 3570K (for pure gaming) there is no reason for an Intel user to upgrade. But if you multitask or do other work where multi-threading is important than Ryzen 5/7 slays.
    It depends on what resolution/refresh rate you game at. Good luck getting 144hz for FFXIV or PUBG on Ryzen. But if you are going for higher resolutions where the CPU isn't the bottleneck, then Ryzen is much better. I'd also love a Ryzen system for my work machine too.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    I don't disagree. My i7 870 is really showing its age.
    That's what I upgraded from. IIRC, benchmarks all went up between 2x and 10x.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    That's what I upgraded from. IIRC, benchmarks all went up between 2x and 10x.
    Yeah - there's a massive gap between my current ffxiv benchmark and what I would be getting with a 7700k.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6