+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

AMD Ryzen (I for one welcome the [potential] return of our old new old CPU overlords)

Soon!

The formal release date of info is Feb. 28th, so serious reviews etc. should start popping then, official hard launch release date March 2nd.

Reviews after "NDA" lift (march 2nd or feb. 28th, who knows).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X review: Good, but not for gamers

Assorted leaks/gossip

(wccftech seems to have had a strong interest in this processor, so I've been keeping an eye on them lately, despite the slightly odd reputation)

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Breaks Cinebench R15 Multi-Thread World Record – Overclocked to 5.2 GHz on All 8 Cores With LN2 Cooling (wccftech)

Ryzen 7 1800x Benchmark leak (wccftech)

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor Tested And Pictured – Blows Away Intel’s $1000 Core i7 5960X (wccftech)
    CPU competition at last: AMD Ryzen brings 8 cores from just $329 (arstechnica)

AMD returns to high-end gaming CPUs with Ryzen 7 (engadget)

Live benchmarks: AMD Ryzen vs. Intel Core (pcgamer)

AMD Ryzen 7 prepares for worldwide launch on March 2 (PCgamer)

AMD’s Mainstream Ryzen 5 Processors Arrive in Q2 2017, Ryzen 3 Quad Cores Arrive in 2H 2017 – Fastest 6 Core Ryzen 5 1600X Confirmed, 69% Faster Than i5 7600K (wccftech)

AMD Ryzen pricing: £500 for 8-core 1800X CPU, undercutting Intel by £600, Ryzen will be aggressively priced, and AMD claims it can retake the performance crown. (arstechnica.co.uk)

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Overclocked To 4GHz On All 8 Cores – Provides 1800X+ Performance With Decent Motherboards & Cooling

On motherboards:

Motherboard Info (wccftech)
    Asus Reveals Four New AMD AM4 Motherboards For Ryzen (tomshardware)
    Which ASUS AM4 motherboard should I buy for Ryzen? (Asus themselves, pinches of salt galore!)
    Biostar Prepares For Ryzen With New AM4 Motherboards (tomshardware)

Cooling information:
    Noctua Preps For AMD Ryzen With Three New Coolers

On Memory support:
    AMD Ryzen supports DDR4 3600 MHz memory (videocardz.com)

The release event:

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I had a (facebook) chat with a representative from G.Skill earlier, he said the lists of compatible memory for the assorted AM4 motherboards will be made available a little closer to release date and wouldn't really tell me anything but that

Minor explanation on the XFR technology (from what I've been able to gather) the "x"-series of the CPUs autooverclock (beyond just the turbo boost feature) as long as there's thermal headroom for it as a standard, you can still OC the old way, but as long as the MB supports it (at least X370 and 300 I think?) it'll auto it for you.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Has there been any news on ITX boards?

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    Has there been any news on ITX boards?
    http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-mo...ock-asus-x370/

m-atx is the abbreviation used for those, isn't it? so most of them have some right around the corner

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Might build a budget pc with the Ryzen 5 x. Rumor is 4 core version is $199, 6 core version is $259. The 4 core version is 65 watt, with the other being 95 watt. I might just go for the small one and overclock it as much as I can since it's gonna autooverclock once I pick the right motherboard.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-mo...ock-asus-x370/

m-atx is the abbreviation used for those, isn't it? so most of them have some right around the corner
    No, m-atx is MicroATX. Mini ITX is smaller yet.

Consider:

MicroATX
    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/873...%205-front.png

Mini ITX
    http://static.mini-itx.com/news/images/story506-04.jpg

I'm not seeing much in the way of Mini ITX at Ryzen's launch though there are definitely varieties of the chipset/platform that are meant for Mini ITX boards. We'll see something sooner rather than later.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Hmm, I have no data upon which to speculate about the mini-itx segment then, I haven't really given it much attention in the past, sorry :/

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Am replacing my wife's old pc with my old pc, it's got an oc'd 920. Might go this route instead for longevity.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The more I look at the CPUs, the more I see myself spending more money lol. The CPUs are cheaper, but then I'd end up spending that saving on faster DDR4 ram. Gotta upgrade to a new mobo, so that means I should probably get a M2 SSD while I'm at it to take advantage of the faster speeds. I just don't know where I want to make the stop and say "Ok, in the interest of saving bucks, this is where we stop".

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    The more I look at the CPUs, the more I see myself spending more money lol. The CPUs are cheaper, but then I'd end up spending that saving on faster DDR4 ram. Gotta upgrade to a new mobo, so that means I should probably get a M2 SSD while I'm at it to take advantage of the faster speeds. I just don't know where I want to make the stop and say "Ok, in the interest of saving bucks, this is where we stop".
    We know too little about longevity on both Intel and AMD side :/ by the time we see indicators the next gen is here.

Personally I was thinking I'd get the 1800x with a Crosshair VI Hero MB and the cheapest 960 Pro m.2 ssd from samsung, splurge a little on predator or g.skill memory, and go cheap on everything else, reuse old GPU until I have gotten into denial about how much it cost etc. I had my 3970x for over 4 years now, and if my MB wasn't showing the early warning signs of not being a happy youngster any more, my curiosity here would have been a lot more professional and a lot less "looking for my next toy".

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    From what I've read, and of course this depends on what people use their computers for, M2 SSDs do not see any incredible real world performance unless you're going from a bottom of the barrel SSD to a M2. However, I do not have one so I can't confirm that. Ram right now is stupid expensive which sucks. Motherboards will probably be expensive for the first 3-8 weeks. Even though Micro Center is roughly 70 miles from me, it's still worth it for the savings on open box and combo deals.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

$210 Biostar X370 board is being bundled with a 240GB M2 SSD.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813138444

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This might have been linked before, and if so, sorry! But it provides some good information, even though the testing was still 100% under AMD's supervision/control.

*edit* Yep, Krandor linked it in the other thread, but it's worth a repost here I think.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Nice video!

He made the xfr feature seem a bit tame, from what AMD said it sounded like it would just OC itself as far as it could, whilst he suggested (the 1800x) it would stop at over 4ghz, anyone heard/read anything about xfr cap?

I hope there's more physical information about MBs soon, I am looking at the Crosshair VI MB, but I'm not sure I want to water cool this time (worried about leaving computer on all the time), but I am concerend that it'll be a tight fit with the coming Noctua cooler (NH D15 SE-AM4) for the AM4 and 4x16 GB RAM.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    $210 Biostar X370 board is being bundled with a 240GB M2 SSD.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813138444
    When it sounds too good to be true...

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Nice video!

He made the xfr feature seem a bit tame, from what AMD said it sounded like it would just OC itself as far as it could, whilst he suggested (the 1800x) it would stop at over 4ghz, anyone heard/read anything about xfr cap?

I hope there's more physical information about MBs soon, I am looking at the Crosshair VI MB, but I'm not sure I want to water cool this time (worried about leaving computer on all the time), but I am concerend that it'll be a tight fit with the coming Noctua cooler (NH D15 SE-AM4) for the AM4 and 4x16 GB RAM.

I think XFR only increases the boost 100-200mhz, it isn't super aggressive auto OC.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    From what I've read, and of course this depends on what people use their computers for, M2 SSDs do not see any incredible real world performance unless you're going from a bottom of the barrel SSD to a M2.
    I don't have much experience with this myself, but from what I've read the best benefit for M.2 are things like scratch disks, and not necessarily as an OS/programs drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    I think XFR only increases the boost 100-200mhz, it isn't super aggressive auto OC.
    I've seen conflicting reports... some that XFR is very mild and some that XFR can push extremely far if power and thermals allow.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Right this minute though, any budget build is getting a Pentium G4560. That thing is a monster that can be had for $60. While it's good that there are cuts, it's also Micro Center, the place that sells cpus at a loss to begin with. And all cpus are in store only. I wonder how Newegg & company will treat things. I know we still have to wait for benchmarks, and prices can be slashed further, but when the R7 1800 is going blow for blow with the 6900K and it's still $500 less, Intel has more prices to slash.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    I don't have much experience with this myself, but from what I've read the best benefit for M.2 are things like scratch disks, and not necessarily as an OS/programs drive.

I've seen conflicting reports... some that XFR is very mild and some that XFR can push extremely far if power and thermals allow.
    leak from the conference

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-overcl...os-benchmarks/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast