• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Dumb question about asserted/deasserted

I tried to do research but I have big trouble understanding the difference between those 2 words English not being my first language doesn't help,

I got this email from a thinkserver server

Event: PSU1 Status: Power Supply sensor, Power Supply input lost (AC/DC) was asserted
    Date/Time: 2017-02-25 20:32:2
    Severity: Critical

And in the server log about 30 sec after I have the same log but that says deasserted. But without an email for the deasserted one.

So im guessing asserted is bad and deasserted is good?

And at the same time VMware shows green checks for both asserted and deasserted depending of the hardware type.

I'm kinda confused about the definition of both words

Thanks

BG Level

Ps I know what causes the problem. I'm just trying to understand why VMware uses assert/deassert with green checks and why does assert seems bad in this case ( ps it's he UPS failing)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Probably like "PC LOAD LETTER" in office printer terms: esoteric and near meaningless outside the dorks who left it that way.

A guess:

"Assert" generally means to acknowledge or verify something. Like in some programming languages, you can use "assert(condition)" to throw an error if the condition is not true (like in a try/catch block, extra checking for "that one fucking error"). "Deassert" is not a way the word is usually used, so it's probably stupid-speak for 0, and assert is 1 (or vice-versa, probably won't matter). Maybe like "Power Supply input lost" is true, but it might still be semi-functioning so its giving those odd deassert entries ("Power Supply input lost" is now false, intermittently).

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Serious disclaimer about me being seriously uncertain!

uhm, isn't assert active an deassert inactive, so that assert would be that it was triggered/on? in essence, "fault was asserted"?
    (I never really saw it myself, it just sounds vaguely familiar)

BG Level

I see having shit understanding about programmation, no wonder I can't understand this ..

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Cheated a little and google fu'ed it

assert

[uh-surt]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
    verb (used with object) 1. to state with assurance, confidence, or force; state strongly or positively; affirm; aver: He asserted his innocence of the crime.

2. to maintain or defend (claims, rights, etc.).

3. to state as having existence; affirm; postulate: to assert a first cause as necessary.

So looks a bit like it is indeed a "state triggered warning"?

BG Level

Dumb question about asserted/deasserted

So if I take this exemple

And look at disk 1

It says disk 1 drive fault normal deassert ( aka no error)

And for the present it says if a disk is present then no error? Which is why it's assert true?

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

That would be how I interpret it, in essence, there's no fault, so there's nada to assert (deassert), and the disk is there (asserted)
    it looks at the status criteria, and if it is true, that status is asserted (disk present), if it is false or there is an error, it is deasserted (disk fault)

There's no drive present in bays 3-8, so there's deassert on the fault (no disk to have a fault on) and deassert on disk presence because well, there's no drive present

I see you have an EMC tab in there, I am jealous you're in their timezone, they dont' have a lot of techs working in EU time it seems, when things go wrong

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    That would be how I interpret it, in essence, there's no fault, so there's nada to assert (deassert), and the disk is there (asserted)
    it looks at the status criteria, and if it is true, that status is asserted (disk present), if it is false or there is an error, it is deasserted (disk fault)

There's no drive present in bays 3-8, so there's deassert on the fault (no disk to have a fault on) and deassert on disk presence because well, there's no drive present
    Other people told me yesterday that assert checks for a condition
    if the condition is true then it's assert normal if it false then it's assert critical.

And deassert is what makes leaves the condition

Like my power supply from OP

Says "is there a electric input?" = no = assert critical

Then when electric comes back it leaves the "error" mode so deassert

But in the picture I posted of dell it seems different. Ah well I'll try to read more on it

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Other people told me yesterday that assert checks for a condition
    if the condition is true then it's assert normal if it false then it's assert critical.

And deassert is what makes leaves the condition
    Yeah, this is pretty much what I said as well

like in your vsphere list

Bay1:
    Condition: Drive fault = deasserted (there's no drive fault)
    Condition: Drive present: asserted (there is a drive there)

Bay 8:
    Condition. Drive fault = Deasserted (there's no drive fault there, there's no drive to be faulty)
    Condition: Drive present = Deasserted (There's no drive there)

The conditions are drive fault (assert if there is one, deassert if there isn't) and drive present (assert if the condition is true, there is a drive there, deassert if it is false, no drive there)

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post

I see you have an EMC tab in there, I am jealous you're in their timezone, they dont' have a lot of techs working in EU time it seems, when things go wrong
    The picture is not mine I goggle it for exemple

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I probably wouldn't go too deep into this meaning-mess if I were you. The dorks who decided to use assert/deassert for both positive and negative outcomes should be dragged out and hit with bats since it means fuck all without actually knowing what the condition actually is. And the condition should have been worded in a meaningful way; we're not trying to decipher hieroglyphics here but you're probably gonna have to treat it that way.

If anything, make notes of what you think it means and ask your other techs for clarification or to discuss it. If you don't know what it means, there's probably a lot of others who work with the same systems who also don't know what it means, and so it's best to try and get everyone on the same page about that sort of crap. If everyone is stumped, try to contact the manufacturer for info, or otherwise seek out the manual and pray there's something there.

Shit like this: https://communities.vmware.com/threa...art=0&tstart=0

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Simplest way is to think of it as logical true(1) and logical false(0) for the given context. The context is what's important.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    I probably wouldn't go too deep into this meaning-mess if I were you. The dorks who decided to use assert/deassert for both positive and negative outcomes should be dragged out and hit with bats since it means fuck all without actually knowing what the condition actually is. And the condition should have been worded in a meaningful way; we're not trying to decipher hieroglyphics here but you're probably gonna have to treat it that way.

If anything, make notes of what you think it means and ask your other techs for clarification or to discuss it. If you don't know what it means, there's probably a lot of others who work with the same systems who also don't know what it means, and so it's best to try and get everyone on the same page about that sort of crap. If everyone is stumped, try to contact the manufacturer for info, or otherwise seek out the manual and pray there's something there.

Shit like this: https://communities.vmware.com/threa...art=0&tstart=0
    Thanks, kinda happy that it's harder to understand for other people too was feeling dumb on that