Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

YouTube TV service - $35/mo for 40 Channels

USA only at Launch
    The live TV service will carry more than 40 channels, including some of the country's biggest networks including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and ESPN.

The service will also include a "cloud DVR" that will let users record and store programming.

The announcement was made at YouTube's LA-based studio, where it gives free access to the network's biggest stars to create original content.

That material will be part of the package, but the main draw, and the detail most likely to make cable companies nervous, is the inclusion of top channels - including those showing live sport.

The service will launch later this spring in its own standalone application on smart TVs as well as mobile devices. One notable drawback, however, will be the absence of major channels such as HBO, CNN and AMC.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39124092
    https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Google is spreading itself too thin, imo.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Missing some key players, but the price point with included DVR service is enticing, especially if it's all cloud based. I almost jumped on Sling this week, but maybe I'll wait for this.

Still stickign with Sling. $15 mo cheaper and get all the channels we want. Can watch past episodes like DVR on most channels without issue.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Missing some key players, but the price point with included DVR service is enticing, especially if it's all cloud based. I almost jumped on Sling this week, but maybe I'll wait for this.
    Well, Google advertised being able to watch your cloud'd DVR shows until the major cable networks decided they wanted a cut, so they removed it from the DVR. You used to be able to drop your own videos onto your DVR as well.

I don't have much hopes for this given how much they've neutered Fiber's potential.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Sling was almost the perfect option, but I'd gladly lose the few channels and gain cloud DVR for an extra few bucks. But like you said, my expectations are tempered, I'll wait and see with this.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

A little more on the service;

Subscriptions include cloud DVR with unlimited storage, AI-powered search and personalization, and access to YouTube Red programming.

You can add content like Showtime and soccer for an added fee, but some content comes with restrictions. If you’re a pro football fan, for example, you’ll have to watch games on your TV or computer because the NFL’s deal with Verizon made it off-limits to your mobile device. And no matter what you watch or what you watch it on, you may see ads—Google, being Google, and its network partners can sell ads on YouTube TV to bring in additional revenue.
    https://www.wired.com/2017/02/youtube-tv-skinny-bundle/

It's a shame that ads are included.

If you’re a pro football fan, for example, you’ll have to watch games on your TV or computer because the NFL’s deal with Verizon made it off-limits to your mobile device.
    Does sling TV stream NFL games on a mobile device?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

How would ads not be included in live TV? I'm confused by this statement.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

What they're saying is that YouTube and Red would still have ads even though you're paying a sub.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

For live tv only I assume. YouTube and normal internet stuff would be ad-free as usual I'd assume.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Official release;

Spoiler: show
    There’s no question that people love TV, from live sports to breaking news to sitcoms and dramas. But the truth is, there are a lot of limitations in how to watch TV today. Unlike online video, people can't watch TV when they want, on any screen and on their terms, without commitments. Consumers have made it clear that they want live TV without all the hassle. They don’t want to worry about their DVR filling up. They don't want to miss a great game or their favorite show because they’re on the go. They tell us they want TV to be more like YouTube.

Well, we’ve got some good news! We’re bringing the best of the YouTube experience to live TV. To do this, we’ve worked closely with our network and affiliate partners to evolve TV for the way we watch today.

Meet YouTube TV. It’s live TV designed for the YouTube generation—those who want to watch what they want, when they want, how they want, without commitments.

Here’s what YouTube TV offers:
    • Live TV streaming from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, regional sports networks and dozens of popular cable networks. YouTube TV gives you the best of live TV, from must-see broadcast shows like “Empire,” “The Voice,” “The Big Bang Theory” and “Scandal,” to the live sports you want. YouTube TV includes major sports networks like ESPN and regional sports networks like Fox Sports Networks and Comcast SportsNet, so you can watch your favorite NBA or MLB teams. We’ve also partnered with local TV stations, so you’ll also get sports and local news based on where you live. And YouTube TV offers dozens of additional cable channels, so you won’t miss out on the latest news from MSNBC or Fox News, popular shows and movies from USA or FX, kids programming from the Disney Channel or Sprout, or reality TV from E! or Bravo. You can also add Showtime, or Fox Soccer Plus to your networks for an additional charge. In total, YouTube TV gives you access to more than 40 networks.
    • A cloud DVR, with no storage limits. With YouTube TV, you’ll be able to record live TV and never run out of storage. Your cloud DVR can record as many shows as you want, simultaneously, without using precious data or space on your phone and we’ll store each of your recordings for nine months.
    • A service that works great on all your screens. You can watch YouTube TV on any screen—mobile, tablet or computer—and you can easily stream to your TV with a Google Chromecast or Chromecast built-in TV. YouTube TV works on both Android and iOS. And your cloud DVR goes with you, so you can stream your recordings on any device, whenever and wherever you want.
    • YouTube Red Originals. With a YouTube TV membership, you can watch all of our YouTube Red Original series and movies right on the new YouTube TV app.
    • Six accounts, one price. Every YouTube TV membership comes with six accounts, each with its own unique recommendations and personal DVR with no storage limits. You can watch up to three concurrent streams at a time.
    • Half the cost of cable with zero commitments. A YouTube TV membership is only $35 a month and there are no commitments—you can cancel anytime.

YouTube TV will be available soon in the largest U.S. markets and will quickly expand to cover more cities across the country. Visit tv.youtube.com and sign up to find out when we’ll launch in your market.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    What they're saying is that YouTube and Red would still have ads even though you're paying a sub.
    I thought Red was already ad-free?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I assume it'll be for those channels.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

As long as they don't prevent me from fast forwarding commercials during DVR, I see nothing out of the ordinary here other than missing a few staple channels.