Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Cover Mechanics and documentation

I was debating whether this should have gone in the mathy parts JA thread, but while there's some testing to be done, I feel this is as much or more about what the cover BGwiki page is missing as it is about testing.

What's missing from wiki?

-Enmity transfer Mechanic. There's no mention of this at all. See spoiler for what references I could find, and some simple testing of my own.
    Spoiler: show

Effect added. Link
    The paladin ability Cover now raises enmity towards the paladin and lowers enmity towards the party member under attack.
    Comment form SE on the effect. Little detail. Link
    Players:Add an ability that absorbs a party/alliance member’s enmity.
    SE: Though it doesn’t absorb enmity directly, Cover has an effect that is very close.
    A test on the enmity transfer by foldypaws. Link
    Some testing on cover. It appears that every time the PLD takes non-zero damage that would have been aimed at the cover target, a certain amount of enmity is gained by the PLD. Intimidations also appear to count.

Testing on a mandy in La Thiene [A] that I meleed down to 2% without taking any damage or losing any shadows: Libra: Me: 100%, PLD 0%. Cover was activated, PLD took a number of hits for 0 damage due to phalanx/stoneskin, and intimidated the mandy once. After cover wore: Libra: Me: 100%, PLD 6%.

Then, the PLD canceled stoneskin/phalanx and repeated the test, this time taking a number of hits for non-0 damage. Before Cover it was 100% Me 12% PLD (I assume due to volatile enmity decay), after Cover it was Me: 97%, PLD 100%.

At no point did the PLD take any action on or do any damage to the mob.

Testing should still be done to confirm that the cover target *loses* enmity, and not that the PLD just gains it for taking hits, but it seems likely given the description in the update.
    My quick and messy seems to contradict Foldypaws'.

Grabbed a bee at HP#1 in Ceizak. Had my mule spam Flash and aspir on it(about all the enmity+ actions I had on WHM). I was mostly winging this, so I didn't track exact enmity values.

On Martel I had Phalanx and SS up. So he never took any damage. Used cover on Ard, and btw the time cover wore, Martel had hate. Martel took no actions but covering ard. Ard's actions should have had more than enough CE to maintain hate regardless of VE decay, so enmity transfer had to have occurred.

And most of the attack from the Bee missed. I suspect that the activation requirement for the enmity transfer is simply intercepting an attack intended for the coveree.

I intend to do more detailed tests later.
    -Confirm if enmity transfer occurs on missed hits, as long as the hits are redirected.
    -Attempt to quantify the enmity transfer values per hit. % based? Static values? Is VE affected?

-No mention of the fact that Cover cannot intercept AoE attacks. Both PLD and coveree will be hit.
    -Relic body effect. This requires an attack to be intercepted to activate. You won't get any MP convert just from having cover active.
    -Some mention of the fact that duration can be enhanced via Job points. I don't note if that should be a foot note, or some additional table space like merits, but there should be a reference to it.

Outdated/unnecessary
    -"Something of a conundrum as it lets you serve your essential function temporarily while shedding Cumulative Enmity by taking damage."
    This might have meant something back as 75, but with how little DMG PLD takes now, enmity+ gear affecting CE loss, huge max HP further reducing CE loss, and finally cover actually taking enmity from the coveree this statement is inaccurate and now irrelevant. I vote for removal.

I can update the effect notes on the relic body pretty easily, but as you might have noticed, I have issues being... succinct. And mechanics explanations on a wiki need to be clear, easy to understand, and succinct. Well, I'll give it a shot in a while if no one else does.

Other notes.

-Chatlog mechanics and changes. All intercepted attacks used to display a Cover! prefix in the log. Now only WS(and maybe spells?) do. This sucks. It was a super useful way to tell if the coveree still had hate. I kinda hope it's a bug. Might post on OF.
    -An oddity. I may need to reconfirm this, but... It seems like when covering a player an positioned correctly /assist will always show the PLD as the mobs target, even when the coveree still has hate. This didn't used to be the case, cause I recall using /assist to tell who had hate during testing.
    -Magic interception. I'm pretty damn sure this can happen without AF head. It's just not 100%. Something on my list of things to test. I suspect the AF head increases the rate rather than granting the effect.

Future testing. repeating some of the spoiler-ed info, but..
    -Enmity transfer tests
    --Confirm if enmity transfer occurs on missed hits, as long as the hits are redirected.
    --Attempt to quantify the enmity transfer values per hit. % based? Static values? Is
    VE affected?
    --Does anything affect the amount transferred? Enmity+ on PLD, CE loss/enmity -/+ gear on coveree?
    -Test Magic interception. Can it happen without AF head? Find rate. Then test with head. If it affects rate, effect gained on activation or while wearing?
    EDIT:
    -Does cover work on ranged attacks?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Testing magic interception rate is going to be difficult, given that monsters have a non 0% chance of targeting people other than the main target with spells anyway.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My thought there was to see if Cover's melee interception works in pvp, then if it does test magic there.

But yeah, if I have to use mobs it's going to be nearly impossible. Especially since The coveree will keep losing hate every time I intercept an attack...

Oh, and it also hinges on if intercepted spells still get the Cover! prefix. if they do, then you can definitively identify them versus spells aimed at the PLD.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I think target is sent in the spell start packet, no? Could see if that matches if so.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've posted some cover enmity testing here.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Martel View Post
    I've posted some cover enmity testing here.
    Thanks for testing and updating the wiki, Martel.