1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 47 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 47 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yoshida on Stormblood - Famitsu E-mail Interview Translation

Quick interview that Famitsu did via email with Yoshida after the Frankfurt fan festival to get a bit more information.

Original: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201703/01127999.html

-----

Red Mage to use INT as its main stat, equipment to be caster-type! E-mail interview with Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida

On February 18th and 19th, Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2017 in Frankfurt was held in Frankfurt, Germany. After the first day had come to a close, a joint Q&A session with media gathered from around the world was held, but it was tough to get a chance to sit down and have an interview with Yoshida. Because of that, after I had returned, I sent a note over to Yoshida requesting an email interview. Yoshida politely accepted, and we asked 10 questions in total. We could easily have focused just on battle-related questions, but we tried to be as broad as possible and also asked about world setting and system-related concerns, taking all players into consideration.

Before Heavensward was released, you had mentioned in an interview that it doesn't seem right to view the strength of the Garlean empire in the same league as that of the ancient Allagan empire. For the Warrior of Light, who has now defeated many Allagan defense mechanisms, Garlemald may seem a little lacking. Might there be some mightier enemies at Garlean disposal that still remain hidden?

Yoshida: I don't want to get into that background now. However, by magic skill alone, the Garlean empire surely has a more superior military force than any nation in Hydaelyn. Additionally, they have also have rich and developed arts and literature. Undoubtedly, even with the Warrior of Light, there aren't many nations that could compete alone with the Garlean Empire if they were seriously committed to an invasion. However, the fall of Doma and Ala Mhigo were not only due to the overwhelming difference in their armed forces. This is something that will be explored more in the story of Stormblood.

The continent of Othard seems to be united with a theme of "harmony." Although it conveys Japanese culture to people overseas, when you consider those players, what ideas did you put the most focus on?

Yoshida: I didn't really consider much how overseas players would look at it. Kugane is rather large, and it wouldn't really feel like much of a fantasy if we were just focused on historical Japan. If we wanted to reproduce Edo, for example, we'd be better off making a separate game that focused on that. The idea of "harmony" was based on reality, and with that, I kept in mind that with the various countries of Hydaelyn there will be cultural exchanges with Kugane which will result in a mixed world view. For Othard as a whole, I feel that it's more of an Asian region than exclusively Japanese. In any case, keep in mind that Hydaelyn is a fantasy world, not a reproduction of reality.

With the text on the updated world map, there seemed to be several city-states besides Kugane and Doma. Is there a small-scale player-focused town among those like Revenant's Toll and Idyllshire?

Yoshida: Of course, we've created a number of smaller encampments, but it will feel a bit different than before. After you clear 4.0, these will continue to be involved in the 4.X series, so please aim to clear the main story first!

Also on the world map, we saw Old Sharlayan was added. I'm interested in the history of the Sharlayan home country, including how the Isle of Val disappeared. Is this something that will be touched on in Stormblood?

Yoshida: The Isle of Val, which is said to have disappeared, will be somewhat of a focus in the 4.X series. Although we had planned to include Sharlayan as a starter town in the original FFXIV, it was a bit hard to get there.... I think Sharlayan may become a focus pretty soon.

With the Eastern region being added, will there be equipment like kimonos implemented that can be worn by jobs other than samurai?

Yoshida: We'll be releasing equipment that isn't bound to specific classes like glamour equipment. Additionally, the items from the new raid and instanced dungeons will be consistent with the design. As we get closer to the release of 4.0, I think there will be more opportunities to show screenshots of some of the new equipment.

With the addition of Shirogane as another housing area, will it also include apartments? If so, will it be possible to move apartments?

Yoshida: The apartments were already actually shown in the movie we released during the keynote lecture. The huge building in the center of Shirogane is the apartment building. As far as moving is concerned, we're focused on getting that settled for player and FC housing, so unfortunately apartment moves will be a bit further down the road.

Will entry into the new Omega raid be delayed for a certain period of time after Stormblood's release like what was done with Alexander?

Yoshida: Yeah, that's what we'll do. The new weekly restricted Allagan Tomestones and certain new 4.0 crafter-produced items will also be released a few weeks after the release of Stormblood. In the interim, please focus on enjoying the new storyline and leveling your jobs without worrying about rushing.

You're adding two different DPS as the new jobs, and there has been some concern that this will impact matchmaking speed for leveling up since there are no new tanks or healers. What are your thoughts on that?

Yoshida: As I mentioned at the keynote, based on data from the release of Heavensward, most players first focus on leveling their main job. There are many people that are focused on getting into raids and earning the new Allagan tomestones, so they concentrate on leveling up their main jobs first, and then look at playing the new jobs as additional jobs. For those who start off right away with the new jobs, I think they will have already been playing DPS roles in the past. Aside from all that, FATEs will have their experience values adjusted, and Deep Dungeon has role-free matchmaking, so I think people have several other options for leveling up besides relying on instanced dungeons. Deep Dungeon in particular is currently the most efficient content for leveling up, so I think that will end up being the most crowded.

During the keynote, you mentioned that samurai would share equipment with monk (Striking?) - can you tell me which job will be used for red mage's equipment?

Yoshida: I guess there's no reason to hold this back anymore so I'll answer - red mage will use INT gear, the same as casters. For players interested to play red mage, I think you'll be able to start off smoothly by collecting caster equipment now.

Regarding the samurai "sen" forces, with the Setsu, Getsu, and Ka states, is this similar to monk's different "Fists" stances? Or is it something more like ninja's ninjutsu?

Yoshida: No, "sen" is a unique system different from the others. It's somewhat closer to the monk type, but totally different from ninjutsu.

So that's our e-mail interview. There are still many things I'd like to hear after the information that was released in Las Vegas, Tokyo, and Frankfurt. Honestly, I was prepared for a bunch of "no comment" replies on the new jobs, and was surprised that some new information was revealed. Famitsu will continue with various coverage on Stormblood as we get closer to release.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Thanks breh!

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Gonna look pretty awkward having RDM hitting things with a Rapier in the poofy robes Casters get. Hopefully they only really share accessories.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

yeah like smn and blm don't share gear in any raid tiers. I can't see them diversifying rdm and giving it its own two sets of max ilvl gear while other classes get stacked.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    yeah like smn and blm don't share gear in any raid tiers.
    They both also just stand there and cast spells, not jump around with a Rapier like RDM is supposedly going to. The gear is gonna look really weird unless they majorly rethink the way they design caster equipment.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

That's one of the major flaws of having such an amalgamated itemization system. It's only gonna get worse as they add more jobs. Presumably they'll try to remedy this by adding more and more glamour options

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Lock glamour to job/class and not by individual pieces of gear.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    They both also just stand there and cast spells, not jump around with a Rapier like RDM is supposedly going to. The gear is gonna look really weird unless they majorly rethink the way they design caster equipment.
    That's the trap yoshida wants you to fall into in order to drive hype, similar to MCH's "assembly" of turrets and weapons. Doesn't matter how it "looks" or supposedly will be "unique"..at the end of the day in the unchanging FFXIV base systems, it's a caster like BLM/SMN so they don't need to do anything. It's even confirmed they'll use INT, so unless they double stack what INT does, the only unique set RDM will have will be the tomestone set...if that.

So enjoy your RDMs jumping around in Diabolic casting gear for a month. Though I'm guessing the "remedy" would be their glorified auto attack (the jump in move) would be less effective than actually standing and casting.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

It'll be utilized as an ogcd dps increase or act as an aetherial manipulation to and away from the target for stack and spread mechanics, bitching at anyone who gets in their line of sight for any conal damage mechanics that target a player.

I'VE CHOSEN A TITLE FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!
    BG Level

I know everyone's kind of got this "ugh RDMs in robes, literally unplayable" vibe going but, is it seriously that big a grievance? I can't help but feel like we're reaching a tad bit here.

No doubt there's going be varied looking sets for the all-casters equipment in accordance to RDM being added on, kind of like what happened with BRD/MCH. Also NIN used to be on the DEX aiming gear then got put into it's own unique Scouting set, so there's that too (even if that doesn't happen with RDM, it's... still not a big deal. In fact, it'll just make switching between the caster jobs easier).

Also fencing in a Diabolic Robe of Casting sounds fucking awesome actually.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I got my wild rose glamour so I don't care. I'm just hoping RDM isn't just BLM without leylines.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

RE: BRD/MCH -

To be fair though, most armor designs have leaned more towards BRD than it does MCH. Very very very few sets and glamour sets have been with MCH in mind. There hasn't been anything really "Machinist" screaming since the Esoterics gear. The western cowboyish outfit was another set that comes to the mind. The current post apocalypse gear (245 set) kind of fits MCH, but since they're keeping the same formula, it won't be surprising if RDM has:

"AF Gear" - Unique (weekly tomestones)
    Tomestone gear here - universal unlocked tomestones similar to Law - Shared
    Insert a couple of dungeons here then first leg of Omega - Shared
    Return to Ivalice - Shared with slight focus on RDM aesthetic unless they surprise us and this content is different from other alliance based content and has job specific rewards to fit with FFTT/XII.
    Etc.

Similar to Samurai sharing Striking gear, it's very unlikely outside of the AF gear for them to release eastern inspired clothing unless they go the XI route (where MNK/NIN/SAM wore the far eastern style clothing as a uniqueness.) but MNKs are generally "near-eastern" in terms of FFXIV lore and NIN and SAM are the 'far-eastern' jobs.

So we'll see..but this is largely the reason I hate the whole 'shared' gear shit but it's why we'll probably never see better itemization outside of releasing "enhancing" Materia.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

idk why this information isn't being posted anywhere - https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...n_live_letter/

• Skills that don't see much use are being removed. The number of skills at 70 will be the same as we have now. (We knew this already)
    • PLD's Rampart and DRK's Shadowskin are becoming the same skill (no mention of WAR's Foresight, but I can only imagine it will be as well), and will be a cross-role skill for tanks.
    • Thunder II and III are being removed, and Thunder's potency will become stronger with levels (I'm guessing with traits?)
    • Enochian will become a permanent buff, meaning you will always be able to use Fire IV unless they change more aspects of the job. However there will be ways for high-skilled BLMs to further increase their DPS by using certain skills in certain ways. No further details are revealed. My guess is it will have something to do with Blizzard IV?
    • Skills that debuff the enemy are not going away, but will be adjusted for sure. (Yoshi-P specifically mentions PLD's Rage of Halone and MNK's Dragon Kick.) More information on what they plan to do with these skills will be shown in a future Live Letter so please look forward to itTM.
    • Concerning raid compositions, he feels that after the AST buffs, any combination of healers is currently viable, but that doesn't mean we won't be seeing changes in 4.0. For tanks, they plan to do something (no specifics) about WAR OT.
    • In 4.0, the Adventurer in Need bonus for Roulettes will be increased to encourage players to play tanks/healers.
    • In 4.1 (tentative) we will be able to create cross-world 24 man parties.
    • There are no current plans to introduce a Duty Roulette: Alliance Raid. He says they are being run a lot because of Wondrous Tails.
    • Apparently it's very difficult to increase the number of available chat tabs, but they are working on a large-scale improvement of the chat system with many more features, such as cross-server chat.
    • They are aware of requests for options to add things such as tattoos and body hair for your character, and that if they were to implement them, it would be more realistic system-wise to make them equippable items, rather than options at Character Creation.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I guess for tanks it makes sense, since they were essentially the same skills reskinned, though WAR still had an edge on CDs.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    • PLD's Rampart and DRK's Shadowskin are becoming the same skill (no mention of WAR's Foresight, but I can only imagine it will be as well), and will be a cross-role skill for tanks.
    Unless they're removing mitigation from WAR, this just means WAR is getting a buff.

• Concerning raid compositions, he feels that after the AST buffs, any combination of healers is currently viable, but that doesn't mean we won't be seeing changes in 4.0. For tanks, they plan to do something (no specifics) about WAR OT.
    I talked about this in the other thread but to add something to that: I wonder if they actually understand that WAR isn't the designated OT for players that actually know what they're doing? If they plan to nerf WAR's "off-tanking capabilities", I don't even know how they would do that. At best, they could force Path to be Defiance-only and Eye to be Deliverance-only. At worst, they could make Berserk/Vengeance/RI not give stacks (which would be a significant damage nerf).

But even if they do that, they would completely miss the point as to why WAR is the ideal OT. It's because PLD and DRK have little to no synergy with each other because both are severely nerfed if they aren't taking hits to the face. PLD has no useful utility unless the fight is designed with them in mind (except DV I guess), and DRK shoots themselves in the foot because their best mitigation tool relies on a parry proc.

• In 4.0, the Adventurer in Need bonus for Roulettes will be increased to encourage players to play tanks/healers.
    • In 4.1 (tentative) we will be able to create cross-world 24 man parties.
    • There are no current plans to introduce a Duty Roulette: Alliance Raid. He says they are being run a lot because of Wondrous Tails.
    I'm starting to think the Dev team just really sucks at proactive thinking.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I took a quick look around and it seems a variety of JP game news sites were able to get 10 questions in to Yoshida for an email follow-up. Working on some translations now, so stay tuned.