1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 5 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 54 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -1 hours, -6 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

We first heard of it in 2015, told it would be out in 2016 and then never heard anything of it. Yeah probably dead, although last time I said anything about something being dead it was duke nuke'm forever, and the next morning they showed a trailer and a release date. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    It's dead

It's been in the works for what, 20 years? Feels like. I don't think it's ever coming out.
    Considering 2016 - 2017 SE dev work I'm pretty sure if any team is actually working on it outside of nexon is busy with the 'all hands on deck' that was FFXV and now XIV's new expansion (same happened with Heavensward, since their other online projects slowed to a crawl until it was completed, at least for the portion not outsourced.)

Since FFXI is one of SE's FF "numbered entries" it's very unlikely they'd let it go towards a cash shop heaven type of game even on mobile, but being partnered with Nexon, it IS very likely though there will be "get around limitations" or "bonus blah blah" CS stuff added. XIV got away with a cash shop on a P2P game, so I wouldn't be surprised if in some capacity it gets emulated.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I think you're really given Square or the FFXI team too much credit in how the app is being handled. XI-team is passing assets, story, design and concepts to Nexon and saying build us a thing to make money.

Published by Square, Developed by Nexon, they will probably stay true to the original story and then add in "what-if" things, like what if Lion was a man, or what if Shantotto wasn't so over hyped.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

And you are giving them too little credit.

They've said, and shown that FFXI mobile is an actual mobile MMORPG. Mobius is not that. If it were a game on that size or scale, it would have been out by now.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I'll be stunned if the mobile version of XI is ever even mentioned by SE or Nexon ever again. Imagine trying to play XI without Windower and Spellcast. If it existed at some point, they would have to completely retool the entire combat system. There's no chance in hell they're putting in that much effort for a mobile game.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

It's essentially a remake. A different game with the same lore and setting. Like Ff7 and XIV 2.0. I wouldn't expect the mechanics to be the same

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I'll be stunned if the mobile version of XI is ever even mentioned by SE or Nexon ever again. Imagine trying to play XI without Windower and Spellcast. If it existed at some point, they would have to completely retool the entire combat system. There's no chance in hell they're putting in that much effort for a mobile game.
    Considering how well Grandmasters took off in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if it does really well, since mobile MMOs have come a LONG way, especially in asia, as long as Nexon doesn't pull a maplestory with.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

My guess on the XI mobile hang up is they are still deciding how to monetize it and the degree of changes would be needed to do so. XI mobile reality is that it would probably have to be f2p to be successful. Don't think structure of current XI could support f2p model without significant changes. Even then it would have to shake off likely outrage from XI fans and in general how to market it if it's been significantly changed.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Don't understand why people ever thought XI mobile was going to be the actual XI game on mobile. Of course there's no way they're gonna do that. It wouldn't be a good use of time or resources. As much as we might still love it and our memories of it, XI is a dead game. This mobile thing is gonna be a whole new XI-flavored game for the fans of the game + people who never got a chance to play that # in the series. Or at least that's what it would be if it ever came out, which it's not going to (anytime soon).

Fact is, now that XI is running down to a tiny population of players and it's increasingly harder for new players to come in (technically harder with a dwindling pop/economy/incentive to play, not talking about all the crap they throw at you for free or how easy it is to level), there is soon not going to be an easily accessible enduring form of one of the major numbered FF titles. For a company whose bottom line depends on recycling its content and making its games accessible to as many people as possible, this is a problem. So XI has to live on in some other form. That's likely where this mobile game comes in...or it would, if it'd ever come out.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Don't understand why people ever thought XI mobile was going to be the actual XI game on mobile.
    To be fair, most mobile phones could run a full version of XI. You could practically run the game on a toaster back in the day. The main issues that would rise up is the available memory space which would require an external SD card, a more efficient method of handling abilities, and the stability of the connection(It would likely need to be handled similar to Grandmasters with channels). Those would likely be the main three items that would be changed to realize a full on XI mobile.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

How big is the current FFXI install?

I was thinking they could condense abilities down into 6 pushable buttons over 2 trays... left thumb = movement, right thumb = tray
    Remove gearswap (don't hurt me!)

Example ability tray:
    Tray1: Core abilities -- PLD - [Basic Attack] + Provoke + Cure + Shield Bash + Sentinel + Invincible
    Tray2: Additional abilities -- PLD - [Basic Attack] + Weapon Skill + Undead Killer + Protect + Holy + Customisable slot (ala FFXIV system...)

Further condense jobs down to basic roles... i.e. WHM RDM (don't hurt me!!!) SCH is healer... PLD WAR is tank

Actually there might be tons of salt over this. Start over:

When you change jobs, you get 8 abilities spread over 2 trays, and you can pick your role depending on job... PLD can be DPS, Tank and Healer (?) ... WAR can be DPS, Tank, etc. The abilities available will change depending on role selected. And so on ... without going into detail because it's pointless and there's so many ideas! :D

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think XI mobile would more readily be realized as a completely new game (possibly turn-based/ATB) set in Vanadiel with XI storyline/flavor.

Or even something like a FFT Advance-ish (i.e. lightweight, stripped down) version of the XII engine with XI assets/story. You'd have other players in town and/or in the field, but they wouldn't be necessary like they are in a real MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Burningthought View Post
    I don't think it's going to go full nexon/cash shop like that, but then we really don't have any information about what they are doing with it.
    idk, maybe not exactly like that, but I don't expect SE to be the ones to pull the leash on Nexon if they want to do a really awful business model.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    You'd have other players in town and/or in the field, but they wouldn't be necessary like they are in a real MMO.
    let's be honest here. They arent necessary outside of any instanced situation anymore. People like to be able to solo play in MMOs.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    They arent necessary outside of any instanced situation anymore.
    pretty sizable exception there

To be more specific: with the exception of A/S hunts and special FATEs, everything that requires other players is explicitly instanced.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

yes, but i am also making a statement about the nature of modern MMO worlds (specifically XIV) being massive lobbies for content and the general reluctance for putting anything worthwhile or requiring strategy out in the open world.

i mean.. think about it. FATEs and Hunts are mindless. Day/night cycle is meaningless, as is weather. one reason why i love Fishing is because those things actually matter and you really feel like the open world is part of the actual game

I guess old school MMOs like FFXI have spoiled me because I take it as something that should be there.. but it isn't just in MMOs. Even as an FF player.. FFXV has day/night cycle changes with notable differences, as did Lightning Returns.. even FFXII had weather changes to mob behavior and gameplay mechanics

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    yes, but i am also making a statement about the nature of modern MMO worlds (specifically XIV) being massive lobbies for content and the general reluctance for putting anything worthwhile or requiring strategy out in the open world.

i mean.. think about it. FATEs and Hunts are mindless. Day/night cycle is meaningless, as is weather. one reason why i love Fishing is because those things actually matter and you really feel like the open world is part of the actual game

I guess old school MMOs like FFXI have spoiled me because I take it as something that should be there.. but it isn't just in MMOs. Even as an FF player.. FFXV has day/night cycle changes with notable differences, as did Lightning Returns.. even FFXII had weather changes to mob behavior and gameplay mechanics
    Fishing is fun until you need to wake up at 3am trying to catch bobgoblin bass since the next window is not in two weeks.

Yeah, mobile games tend to time-lock stuff on days of the week or via special time limited events, not hours of the day or range of minutes in an hour.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eludi View Post
    Fishing is fun until you need to wake up at 3am trying to catch bobgoblin bass since the next window is not in two weeks.
    makes it all the more satisfying when u get it tho

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

But... sightseeing logs