Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by atom0s View Post
    Yeah, something on your system is causing the need for both folders as that is not needed on a stock Windows install with no AV or similar type of application running.
    Just tried on virgin install of Windows 10 on a brand new hard drive with a brand new motherboard and video card (MSI Z370-A Pro and a Core I5 8600K with an ATI RX560) with no anti virus or anything else other than the video card and motherboard drivers installed and had the exact same problem. Still had to put the DLL and INI in both the Playonline viewer directory and FFXI directory to get it to work. Note also that I'm running the CPU and RAM at stock speeds only (I only bought the K version because I got it on sale for $215.00).

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Are you playing on retail or a private server?

Are you playing on retail or a private server?
    Retail

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

v1.1.0.0 Released
    https://forums.ashitaxi.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=855

Changes
    - CHG: Removed the anti-Windower blocks; the library has been deemed stable at this point so there is no need to block it any longer.
    - CHG: Updated the project to VS2017. (Dropped support for Windows XP.)

Anti-Windower Support Removed

Hello everyone, this update of the proxy has the anti-Windower code removed; allowing this library to work for all clients now. (Ashita, Windower, Stock Retail, etc.) At this point in time, the proxy has been deemed stable and thus no longer needs to have this block in place to avoid conflicting reports.

Please note; while this will now work with Windower, I do not support Windower in any capacity. I do not use or touch Windower at all so you are on your own if you decide to use this with Windower. You are free to report general bugs and issues but if you have crashes or other Windower related problems, you will not get any support for things like that.

Ashita is still the recommended platform to use with this proxy as it is what it was made with, for, and tested against.

You will also now need to install the VS2017 Redist for this to work. You can download that here:
    https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

(Again, this is a 32bit project, you must install the 32bit version of the redist. not the 64bit version for this to work!)

Donations are welcome here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=7U7Q2GRT6KUJN

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

v1.1.0.0 Released

Changes
    - CHG: Removed the anti-Windower blocks; the library has been deemed stable at this point so there is no need to block it any longer.
    The block didn't need to exist, and dgVoodoo was already a thing.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Congrats on having your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    DGVoodoo doesn't render fogging effects on static mobs correctly. e.g. trees in Zi'tah, all outposts, ferry, etc. On the plus side, it's faster and doesn't have z fighting problems.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

For those using dgVoodoo, I discovered a memory leak in the official release while helping a friend debug a crash that affects FFXI and certain things (Ashita, Windower, etc.) that deal with custom rendering.
    I reported this and it has been fixed in the latest package which can be found here:
    Code:
    http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_55_4_1.zip
    http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_55_4_1_dbg.zip
    This crash/issue will cause POL to eat memory consistently when certain things are being rendered to a point where it will crash. Happens most commonly when using Ashita or Windower and using something custom rendered, such as Ashita's in-game UI system with ImGui or similar. This new update for dgVoodoo fixes it.

For those using dgVoodoo, I discovered a memory leak in the official release while helping a friend debug a crash that affects FFXI and certain things (Ashita, Windower, etc.) that deal with custom rendering.
    I reported this and it has been fixed in the latest package which can be found here:
    Code:
    http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_55_4_1.zip
    http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_55_4_1_dbg.zip
    This crash/issue will cause POL to eat memory consistently when certain things are being rendered to a point where it will crash. Happens most commonly when using Ashita or Windower and using something custom rendered, such as Ashita's in-game UI system with ImGui or similar. This new update for dgVoodoo fixes it.
    Have they fixed the fog rendering bug with FFXI yet?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Couldn't say, I don't use dgVoodoo, and didn't really know about it til after I made this project.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Recently met up with a bunch of XI players IRL who were having performance issues resolved by your Direct X patch, Atom0s.

Thanks, stickied the post as a result.

WineD3D wrapper for windows works with FFXI and doesn't have any Z fighting issues. It actually fixes some Z fighting problems that FFXI has normally when using actual D3D8 such as the flickering on Roc's wings and NPC armor textures in Abyssea.

http://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

Unfortunately it's not compatible with Widower and would probably require support directly in Windower to even work seeing as it's wrapping D3D8 to either Open-GL or Vulkan depending on which version you use. But FFXI has never looked better when run with it.

This is the best one I have found:

https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper

With this you can run FFXI at 1x resolution with application native FSAA (i.e. no downsampling) and with shadows set to high with no effect on performance. With other wrappers I have tried forcing on FSAA and setting shadows to high turns the game into a slideshow.

Put dxwrapper.dll dxwrapper.ini and d3d8.DLL in the Playonlineviewer directory then edit the dxwrapper.ini and under "compatibility" set d3d8to9 to 1 (enabled) and under D3D9 set Antialiasing to 1 (enabled).

The only issue I have found with this is that in some areas such as Selbina "normal" (blob) shadows can spread out over a whole floor polygon and cause some visual artifacts but with how "high" shadows basically do not impact performance with this wrapper there's no reason to ever not use "high" shadows anyway.

You could also of course run the game with 2x downsampling *and* native FSAA if you wanted to.

If you want to make sure the wrapper is working try to delete the D3D8.dll you placed the the playonlinevewer directory if it refuses because it's in use then it's working.

EDIT: Forget what I said about FSAA I forgot that windower was forcing 2x rendering and downsampling so when I edited the registry settings windower would revert the changes. That said "high" shadows are still very efficient this with this wrapper. Spinning the camera is a high traffic area and then toggling between high and no shadows makes no FPS difference.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I just tried this and it works but with some additional steps, thank you for your work sir.

I just want to point out that this is the only fix for this issue and works with a few extra steps that are not mentioned in the official instructions, you need to place the ini and dll in BOTH the PlayOnline folder AND the FinalFantasyXI folder for this to work, and to avoid shadow flickering you just need to double click on the ini and scroll to the bottom and change the shadow from 0 to 1 and save, the shadow edit option must be done BEFORE adding them to the SquareEnix folders for it to save. Thank you so much for your time and effort sir, this game would not be playable on a laptop without your help. Donation sent to show my appreciation!

Fun fact: FFXI runs faster in Linux under the Proton compatibility layer than it does on current Windows and without the visual glitches that appeared from Windows 7 onward.

I ran FFXI Bench 3 from Steam on Linux as a test and it benchmarked around 13500 where Windows benchmarks around 11700ish. It ran a smoother too with out the chugging and hiccuping you get on the windows version.

I've been experimenting with Linux lately due to Windows 11 looming (I can't stand the UI on 11 and Openshell has a lot of broken features on 11) so I've been exploring alternatives.

EDIT: Also it should run on the Steam Deck because that's literally just a Switch shaped Linux PC with Steam / Proton to run windows games with.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Yeah, people have been running it on steam deck for a while. The is a windower discord channel devoted to FFXI on linux

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Yeah, people have been running it on steam deck for a while. The is a windower discord channel devoted to FFXI on linux
    You know how using a high res supersampled resolution and FrameRateDivisor 1 causes massive slowdowns in crowded areas? Doesn't happen with Linux I can run it at 3000x1500 supersampled with full shadows enabled and it runs at a solid 58fps with occasional dips to 55fps in Mhaura.

Also, they've fixed the fog glitch in Dgvoodoo2, though it hasn't made it out of the WIP builds yet. You can also force 32-bit zbuffer (ffxi normally uses a 16-bit z-buffer) by editing dgvoodoo2.conf which completely eliminates z-glitching and disappearing surface decals, even that particularly egregious one in the tunnel next to the the telepoint in Vollbow. What this does is increases the depth resolution of the game from 65535 discrete values to 4 billion.

EDIT: The Dgvoodoo2 developer believes that FFXI's framerate issues are CPU limited not GPU limited. It's doing something wrong or inefficiently with the engine code but it's not on the GPU side. Maybe that's why it runs so much better in Linux.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

would it be possible to run ffxi through linux on windows then?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

New Download Location

Hello everyone, just popped on here to give a small update to mention that my Direct3D proxy project is no longer hosted/located on the Ashita forums. (We have since deprecated the Ashita forums fully and taken them offline. Thus my proxy project needed a new home.)

Going forward, my proxy project can be found on Ashita's Discord server. There, you will find all the information related to the proxy project, all past and future releases, and a dedicated location for support related to the proxy.

You can join the Ashita Discord here:
    https://discord.gg/Ashita

The proxy project is in its own category/section called: atom0s Direct3D Proxy

The latest release (as of this post) is v1.1.0.0 and can be accessed here (you must join the Ashita Discord to use/see this link!):
    https://canary.discord.com/channels/...40838918291606

Please note: because of how DLLs work, they have full access to the game processes memory. It is highly suggested that you never download and/or use modified versions of my proxy from other locations. This is the only official location to obtain my proxy. Links made by other users should be considered potentially malicious and avoided. Only download thirdparty tools and modifications of any kind from their original authors!

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Wouldn't git make more sense than discord?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag