+ Reply to Thread
    Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Windows 10 Power Management issues

Okay, so I got a new computer in January and I've noticed that my internet connection (or network card) seems to get disabled once the computer is idle for a certain amount of time.

I've looked at Google and it says to disable the "shut this device off" option in the adapter settings, but there is not Power Management tab in mine. I think it was removed in the newer service pack of windows 10.

That being said, has anyone come across this and can help point me in the direction I can go to solve the problem?

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I don't have any 1703 (creators) computers here atm, but going by memory, the power management is under Start menu - Settings - System - Power and Sleep, then Additional Power settings - Change Plan Settings (additional?).- change Advanced Plan settings and you might find some network adapter settings here.

I'm not sure that was what you meant though, so what you might want to do is go to:

Right Click the start menu icon, choose device manager, on the list, find your network adapter(s) , right click it. Hopefully you have a power management tab then if that wasn't the path you took. They could've hid the settings you look for under an "Advanced Tab"

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I just did a google on this out of curiosity.

To find this, click on the search thingy on your taskbar, and search for "Power Settings". That will take you there.

Otherwise, yeah check Device Manager.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've gone in and changed some settings under the power options.
    I didn't know what might target my ethernet card specifically, but I changed something for Allow Wake Timers to Disabled, and I just noticed that my harddrive was set to shut off after 20 minutes so I disabled that off too.

Hopefully it'll fix the problem.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

You could also kill the hibernation/sleep options while plugged altogether, we did this on a lot of the company laptops that had waking issues.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

yeah, so far so good. It may have been the fact the hard drive was set to sleep after 20 minutes.
    Personally, I thought setting the power options to always on, and never sleep would have done the job, but apparently there's hidden options that I wasn't seeing.