+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post

you can get a lot of similar protections for your spouse individually but it's difficult and time consuming and often leaves room for legal issues if something should happen, whereas marriage is clearly defined and relatively easy. example: you're on your deathbed, she walks into the hospital and says "I am rata's designated bullshit legal term here, let me see him." they're gonna need all sorts of verification before they let her anywhere near you. She says "I am Rata's wife." and they MIGHT ID.
    While this is certainly a possibility it hasn't been my experience. For 2 of my aunts and a cousin the only people who really question it when say they are married, family, husband/wife are the guys themselves lol. And for other aunt she had my dad added to her medical file for that so they never really questioned more than for ID

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    "Small wedding" means nothing. We had 95 people including ourselves, the photographer, and the band and we easily paid 55k for all the standard stuff (caterer, flowers, band, photos, etc.) plus more for tips and shit.
    I refuse to believe you couldn't have gone cheaper. We have about 100 people and did our wedding for 7k which included the honeymoon.

No one has to spend over like 10k for a small wedding.

And @ Rata, just go to the courthouse, or do the eloping thing. You'll spend lest than $500 that way.

edit: To clarify, not saying you HAD to go cheaper. If that's what you wanted, that's what you wanted. Just wanted to say that in no way does someone have to spend even close to that amount if they don't want to. Your wedding would go in the insanely expensive for the guest size category.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I refuse to believe you couldn't have gone cheaper. We have about 100 people and did our wedding for 7k which included the honeymoon.

No one has to spend over like 10k for a small wedding.

And @ Rata, just go to the courthouse, or do the eloping thing. You'll spend lest than $500 that way.
    Of course we could have gone cheaper. I didn't say we had a cheap wedding, I said we had a small wedding.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

yeha just check courthouse is abut 380$

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    This is mostly a discussion subject, because i'm passing for the evil guy here.

I've been with my Girlfriend for almost 2 years now, and all goes well. We are happy we love each other and we have kids and house plans.

But now i'm getting the question asked by my GF's family and my own, and the question is. When is the wedding? I know it's said as a joke but i know they are a bit serious too. Her family loves me and my family loves her so it wouldn't be an issue on that.

But i personally don'T believe in marriage. I feel it's overrated just for a paper. I know she wants to get married in the past, bt i've told them alot of times that marriage is out of the question for me.

But not long ago they came back to the charge with another argument. "If yo uare not married, how are you gonna protect her if you die or something happens" In QC the other person has almost no rights if you are not married.

So to 'protect' my GF financially if something happens it seems more complicated if you are not married. My GF even told me often I don't want a big wedding even if it's small i'll be happy.

So my question is how do you see the wedding question. Do you guys wed to protect your other half incase somethings happens?
    Why not just elope? (I'm sure this has been said a million times). My first wedding was like this. If you want to spend your life with someone, it makes sense to tie your finances and property together at least in part, finances are going to be a bigger part of your life than love will ever be, lol.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    yeha just check courthouse is abut 380$
    Canada has some pretty nice places to elope for less than that:

http://wheretoelope.com/?s=&post_typ...&pricing=1-500

Example:

http://wheretoelope.com/listings/owl...dding-package/

This looks cute and you get a hotel stay ontop of it for $300. (Doesn't include license filing).

This one does include filing but no overnight stay:

http://wheretoelope.com/listings/no-...kie-elopement/

You can get up to 15 people there for $300.

I would spend some time on that website with your gf and see if she likes any of those ideas. As I, obviously, have no idea what she'd like or even where you live in canadaland.

Professional Bum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jub Jub
    FFXIV Server
    Malboro
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

We had a budget wedding and it was pretty fun:
    Over the course of a several weeks, we made all the decorations with craft paper, colored pens, and ribbons, and picked all flowers (albeit I live in Hawaii so it's kind of cheating).
    Her aunt signed up to be an officiant for <50 and did a pretty good job.
    We didn't hire a photographer, just had everyone take pictures of us and chose the best ones.
    Entertainment was an Ipod hooked into a bunch of speakers with my two little cousins playing DJs.

Everything above was less than $300.00... however the rings, venue, and food were around 5k.
    my suggestions: don't feed people, find a pretty place with nice scenery and use crackerjack rings.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Our wedding rings cost more than the wedding. And we only wear our rings once a year. LOL

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Our wedding rings cost more than the wedding. And we only wear our rings once a year. LOL
    Dat green card wedding, tho.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

I see marriage as a scam too, considering common-law in Ontario takes care of all those things you're talking about, but if my girl was expecting to get married I'd do what I'd have to do.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbles View Post
    We didn't hire a photographer, just had everyone take pictures of us and chose the best ones.
    We did that for the reception. We put disposable cameras at each table for guests to take photos. I actually preferred that over professional shots since they were more realistic.

They have very cute wedding-looking ones. Ie:

https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Weddin.../dp/B001HF6OFW

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    We did that for the reception. We put disposable cameras at each table for guests to take photos. I actually preferred that over professional shots since they were more realistic.

They have very cute wedding-looking ones. Ie:

https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Weddin.../dp/B001HF6OFW
    It's all good until you get dick pics.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    It's all good until you get dick pics.
    Our have friends who aren't hillbillies.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Y'all some cheapass/poorass mofros.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    Or I'd rather spend 50k on a three month vacation for my honeymoon.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Or I'd rather spend 50k on a three month vacation for my honeymoon.
    In a similar vein my wife and I spend a lot of money on house things, doing various fun things, etc. Neither of us cared about having a traditional wedding. We talked about it and both of us were in agreement we'd rather spend our money on things we need and also do fun stuff instead.

Marrying someone and growing old with them are two very different things. It sounds like you've built a healthy relationship and are now building a life with this woman, why on earth would you need to get married? Just get a will written up leaving her all your stuff if it's such a concern.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    If I were to spend more money, I would have spent it at Disneyland. Otherwise, there wasn't a single thing I thought my wedding was missing. I had a beautiful dress, lovely bouquet, the ring I wanted, all my friends and family were there (many flew out from CT to see it), great food, great music, and a lovely cake. I can't think of what I should have done to not be a "cheapass."

Not everyone wants expensive shit for one day in their life.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleHead View Post
    Marrying someone and growing old with them are two very different things. It sounds like you've built a healthy relationship and are now building a life with this woman, why on earth would you need to get married? Just get a will written up leaving her all your stuff if it's such a concern.
    His girl wants to get married and her family wants them to get married. According to rata at least. Not a mind reader, but that seems to insinuate she and her family wants something traditional.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    This may be why I am single but my idea of an ideal wedding is:

1. The court thingy (me, my wife, family)
    2. Hire out a KFC
    3. [Large] Family Bucket each table/family. Booze will be available (brought in mass from Costco).
    4. 16gb ipod + playlist will be connected to the restaurant's sound system
    5. Giant Bouncy Castle will be temporarily installed for shits and giggles. Outside or in.

Dress Code: Casual/whatever you're comfortable in. No formal. Fuck that.
    Donations: Optional. Prefer no donations. Just come, chill, have fun
    Media: Everyone has a good smartphone. They can all add it to my Facebook/socialmedia/cloud of choice

The girl would never agree, but hey one can wait/hope/die alone
    Don't worry about the agreement. Send me your business card!

Do the courthouse. Do a wedding BAND. Take the kids to some dank Canadian restaurant. Post selfies for us to congratulate you on it. Everyone wins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk