1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 9 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 9 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Looks boring. But I will reserve judgment for after playing.

wait so all jobs only get 9 actions and they are the same actions?? what

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    "PvP overly complex"? really?
    He wasn't wrong. 3000 buttons, with barely enough room to put the extra PVP specific skills on your bars on top of the normal moves which may or may not have had any practical purpose to them. Plus trying to balance PVE moves for PVP, like Deathflare spam that was nuts in PVP.

Edit: watch the shit, lol. You guys are yapping before you see the content.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Kind of wish they'd implement automatically updating action buttons for PvE too. Obviously would be different for jobs that share the same starting weaponskill, but for dragoon would be convenient as fuck

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

These PVP changes were needed back in 3.0. It was obvious back in Secure times that there were far too many useless skills in PVP, and ruining skill descriptions with PVP-specific stuff didn't help the matters.

Creating its own little system exclusive to PVP lets them clean up everything, make every skill they include worth a damn, and lets them balance stuff further or change skill functions entirely, as well as not fucking your hotbars up. Bit disappointed one-button-combos seem to be PVP-only atm.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    Kind of wish they'd implement automatically updating action buttons for PvE too. Obviously would be different for jobs that share the same starting weaponskill, but for dragoon would be convenient as fuck
    And have your hardcore purists whining about the "pussification" of the game? Please.

SE did the best thing they could here: they showed us that they have both the awareness of the problem and the tech to implement it. They can implement it in PVP first and gauge the reaction by the playerbase as a whole. If there's enough interest, they could always patch it in later.

This execution is so brilliant that its almost not like SE at all. Clearly they've been paying attention not just to XIV, but to other games even outside the MMO genre.

Edit: This is not to say that I'm against 1-button combos. On the contrary, I lobbied hard for the elimination of the useless "1 and 2" of the 1 2 3 combos entirely, leaving only abilities that actually DO things. Alas, SE has kept (at least some of) them in, but this is a potential option for the future.

1-button combos wouldn't be best for every scenerio anyway, especially if you're still going to tie certain moves' special properties into being done in a combo. How does the dial-a-combo button discern between storm's path and storm's eye if both of them are required to be in a combo and provide different benefits? Shit like that would either have to be removed from needing to be comboed into or they'd have to patch some kind of auto-rotating and adjusting dial-a-combo system, and this is a Japanese company we're talking about. That's a bit of a big tech leap for them.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Like I said earlier, would be convenient as fuck for Dragoon lol. Doesn't really work for jobs that have branching combos

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Just look on the OF and reddit right now and see all the people crying about how this hurts their precious ego and now the game will be dummied down for casuals.

SE could literally serve them a shit sandwich and they'd gobble it up while crying about how everyone eating actual food is a "casual crybaby snowflake".

The hyperbole flowing is amazing.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Homogeneity and oversimplicity have ever been two of the game's main enemies, and what they have essentially done with pvp here is embraced those enemies and let them run the show. I'm not convinced it will make for a fun pvp experience. Now that pvp has been 100% overhauled, I wonder what the career pvpers are going to think about their entire game being changed.

PVP needed to be simplified as far as the number of buttons in use, but going from 2 hotbars to 2 (+5 or 6) buttons is pretty ridiculous. It's just such a huge change I'm not sure it will pan out the way they want it to. For me, most of the fun of pvp came from using your whole skill arsenal to smite people, even things you didn't normally get to use much like sleep and bind. Potentially losing a lot of the stuff that made it fun is worrying. I'm not too broken up about the gear being glamour only as I didn't pay attention to my gear in pvp anyway, but I bet some healers will be raising a fuss about losing their VIT accessories, as healers are the ones who tend to get targeted first.

Balance was kind of an issue too, but I'm not sure it's not always going to be an issue. There will always be one or two jobs that have an edge over other jobs in certain areas, however small. It's impossible to balance everything 100% and it would make for a rather boring and bland game anyhow. Yet this is again what they are trying to do by making all HPs and stats equal, taking away customization options and dumbing everything down to as simple an experience as possible. If you can do roughly the same damage output the same way on every job (or the same healing or w/e) without having to consider what job you're actually playing, I miss the point of having a job system at all.

Unlike the PvE changes, which seem really good so far, the way they chose to do the pvp change doesn't sit well with me...but again, can't tell until I play it.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

"PvP overly complex"? really?
    The whole basis of the battle system changes in general is because "the gap between casual players and core players was staggering" - I didn't like "brdmage' but a really good one really stood out dps wise, but homogenization is the word. Their idea of complex is "casual players complain."

I have nothing against casual players as its their main money source, but all the new systems does is make terrible players much more apparent. The stat changes are definitely ...going to be something.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Hmm, they should have a progress option that just flagged you as 4.0 ready, but could still play through the old MSQs if you wanted later. Best of both worlds. Guess they want you to go for a "second character" for that :/

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Hmm, they should have a progress option that just flagged you as 4.0 ready, but could still play through the old MSQs if you wanted later. Best of both worlds. Guess they want you to go for a "second character" for that :/
    This would be the ideal circumstance

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Unlike the PvE changes, which seem really good so far, the way they chose to do the pvp change doesn't sit well with me...but again, can't tell until I play it.
    Its good to see the other side, because I'm looking forward to the changes. What I was most suprised at was the 100% normalized health. I figured they'd still keep tank health the highest, but I'm wondering if this means that defensive values are going to be more accurately reflected so that a Tank still winds up having more effective "health" to work with as a result of higher defense.

The current Def stat is all but worthless in PVP. Percentage-based mitigation is really the only one that has any weighted feel to it.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Just look on the OF and reddit right now and see all the people crying about how this hurts their precious ego and now the game will be dummied down for casuals.

SE could literally serve them a shit sandwich and they'd gobble it up while crying about how everyone eating actual food is a "casual crybaby snowflake".

The hyperbole flowing is amazing.
    I think a good game should be enjoyable for both hardcores and casuals, but I insist that this game has a huge problem with its battle system. The total whitewashing of the stats and itemization for example is a huge flaw. Not for everyone of course, but do you have in mind the Bartle taxonomy thing? Well if you do, this game offers very little to explorers, and maybe the times have changed and people play games differently from the way they used to, but imo that's a category you really want in a multiplayer game.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

the current defense stat /is/ worthless in current pvp, it does literally nothing, foresight does literally nothing

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    The current Def stat is all but worthless in PVP. Percentage-based mitigation is really the only one that has any weighted feel to it.
    Doesn't PVP already have percentage based mitigation/damage-boost based on current Job?

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Literally the only purpose that Foresight, Protect, and Fey Covenant serve in PvP is to absorb a dispel mechanic.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Yet another reason I'm not crying over the new system.

They're really trying to milk it… 25$ to skip the story and and another 25 to get a single job to 60. I don't think i can imagine anyone dropping $100+ to get caught up in this game. I know people drop alot more money on single player games that have season passes and such but this game also requires a monthly subscription. Honestly a code to get items to skip one job to 60 and an item to skip ARR or HW quest lines should be included with collector's editions of SB and future expansion collectors editions.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

They looked so sad after the sun set. Did they not have enough money to buy a lamp? lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast