The cameos so far man...10/10

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The cameos are great. The last 2 eps have been pretty good. Feel like the show is getting better.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ep 5 was good and the comedy was the best of all the eps so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    but

Spoiler: show
    If they died in the storm they couldn't have disabled the wormhole. PARADOXES!
    Additionally...
    If they hadn't responded to her distress call, would they have even gone into the storm's path to begin with?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Good ep. Not the best handling of time travel but whatever.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Episode 6 is another good'er. Packing in the emotional/moral dilemma's once again.

This show may have shallow jokes but holy fuck is the actual story full of surprising depth

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Just got done with Ep 6.

Don´t click if you haven´t watched. Or only click if you don´t care.
    Enjoyed this ep the most so far. Right of the bat the "Mercer Manouver" was pretty cool and instantly reminded me of some of the Trek manouvers. More of that please. I also really enjoy the Krill. They´re like a pretty badass mix of Cardassians, Klingons, Remans and Romulans and quickly are growing to be one of my most favorite alien species in sci-fi. Did not expect that to happen from The Orville. This ep proves perfectly that a "Star Trek" show/episode can be serious, grim and pretty dark (that ritual holy shit), but also have plenty of depth and social commentary (did NOT expect Krill children to be on board the ship, so good), while still maintaining that Star Trek feel. Everything Discovery lacks basically. Imo The Orville could further reduce their humor down to TNG/DS9 levels of "humor" and go full on Trek homage. I don´t think it would hurt the show at all. Also, both the Krill Captain aswell as the Krill High Priest or w/e he was both played their roles wonderfully imo. I really enjoyed their performances. Excited for more of this.
    Afterthougth...maybe Mercer needs to start growing a beard... :thinking:

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That was a great episode again. Goddamn what a difference it has been from the pilot.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Enjoyed it a lot, you know in season 5 those kids are going to come back

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    I think the teacher will probably be seen again sooner than that, quite probably this season.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'm sure we'll see the teacher and the one kid at some future point. Loved the Avis/Hertz joke too.

As much as I like the show, something is still off in the delivery; I think it's mostly in that there isn't enough acting range on most of the cast for the kinds of situations the stories put them in. The service was another example in that it just didn't jive with the rest of the episode. It spent the whole time building the Krill up as relatable people, with obvious flaws, but then they realized they weren't evil/scary enough with just the bomb, so hey, lets have them stab a severed human head...multiple times...in an otherwise docile religious ceremony.

Getting an intact Krill battleship is pretty ridonculous too, including the other engagements Mercer has won with them; that's the kind of thing that gets you promoted off the Orville fast as hell, but I get the feeling we won't see that type of recognition right away, though I hope they do bring it up, considering his earlier redemption story background.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    I think the teacher will probably be seen again sooner than that, quite probably this season.
    Let's hope the show makes it that far.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    It spent the whole time building the Krill up as relatable people, with obvious flaws, but then they realized they weren't evil/scary enough with just the bomb, so hey, lets have them stab a severed human head...multiple times...in an otherwise docile religious ceremony.

Getting an intact Krill battleship is pretty ridonculous too, including the other engagements Mercer has won with them; that's the kind of thing that gets you promoted off the Orville fast as hell, but I get the feeling we won't see that type of recognition right away, though I hope they do bring it up, considering his earlier redemption story background.
    The contrast between the tone of the ceremony and the violence of the act was not some arbitrary decision, it was the point. They are placid during the stabbing because, as we were told, the Krill don't see any other sentients as more than animals. Telling the audience that is not even a blip on their emotional radar, but showing it in such a visceral way makes an impact. Then they contrast it with showing us the inquisitive kid. The message is that the Krill are not inherently evil, they are indoctrinated against empathy.

As for you spoiler, I think Mercer is going to get a LOT of recognition... from the Krill.

They tried to do a typical infiltrate parallel earth style society and kinda failed. I mean I liked the message and it was something the original Star Trek would have done, but for real, no kind of research before going? wtf ...

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yeah, this week was a little weak. A bit too much of "look at us make social commentary on today's society's obsession with upvotes and likes and social media and etc".

Well it was a total rip off of that black mirrior episode in many ways also. Can't wait for season 4 btw

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    Yeah, this week was a little weak. A bit too much of "look at us make social commentary on today's society's obsession with upvotes and likes and social media and etc".
    They also win because they Russia'd the election :/

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Yeah this week's social commentary was really ham-fisted. I thought they hit exactly the right balance with the world-ship/climate change episode where the commentary was there if you wanted to pay attention to it, but if you didn't it was just a neat story.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I didn't see it so much as a commentary on social media but the problems with pure democracy and why it's not practiced in it's purest form; they just used social media as the vehicle people would understand. China's Sesame Credit system also sprung to mind, and the fears people have of what might happen to those that aren't "patriotic" enough. I did agree with the last scene though; turn that shit off (by and large)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    I did agree with the last scene though; turn that shit off (by and large)
    I felt like the episode was also very clumsy and ham-fisted. The last scene, though, was very nice. I was expecting her to just upvote the guy, which would have been trite. Turning it off was definitely the better solution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast