FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-23-00-07-37

ESPN pulls Asian-American broadcaster from calling a UVA game because his name is Robert Lee.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ryen Russillo was arrested around 3:45am in Wyoming for being incredibly shitfaced and entering the wrong condo and flopping down on a bed, when the residents told him to leave he refused and cops got called. He was reportedly so drunk that he could not respond coherently and was arrested. Amazing.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Behind the times on all this, after reading this topic I pulled up a list of layoffs and found out they fired Jaymee Sire.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ed Cunningham has resigned from ESPN, basically he said he couldn't stand to do football PBP anymore knowing about the brain damage and CTE stuff. Not sure how much of that I buy, but he did survive the April lay offs so maybe he's telling the truth.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Jemele Hill on Twitter: "Trump is a white supremacist"
    ESPN on Twitter: "Nah fam"
    Colin Kaepernick on Twitter: "Notice me pls"

I'm paraphrasing of course.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Katie Nolan has left Fox Sports for ESPN. So, they got that going for them at least.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Jemele Hill suspended 2 weeks by ESPN after a tweet encouraging a boycott of advertisers tied to Jerry Jones

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

ESPN will have another round of layoffs, expected to be 100+ staffers who primarily work on Sportscenter. The hammer will be dropped the week after Thanksgiving, reportedly so those employees will roll into the next year of vestment for their 401k. So at least they thought of that, I guess.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Man, the death of the NFL is really gonna kill them.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

They're not exactly a lean machine these days, and they have themselves to blame for the monstrosity they've created.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Was reading an article about the ESPN dilemma and it was pretty damn interesting. Article was comparing it to HBO and Netflix in which they shifted focus to original content years ago when they foresaw the cord cutting era removing any unnecessary middle-men for shit they could watch elsewhere. Essentially ESPN kept it's head in the sand because it was the big dog in town with sports and refused to change. Future looks pretty bleak for them in the next 5~10 years.

It's interesting because as I understand it, ESPN's presence in cable packages essentially subsidized all of television. So many people who were only interested in ESPN, bought into packages with a lot of shitty channels that probably have no right existing given how niche and small they are. Not sure if I can blame ESPN for sticking their head in the sand when they reaped so much.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Live sports in general is the only thing keeping cable (or similar offerings like Sling/Vue) alive for a lot of people.

Most leagues are locked into fairly long term contracts, but in the next decade as most of these deals come up for renewal, we could see a massive shift. Not the best example, but WWE has seen a big uptick in profits switching from the PPV model to a self owned streaming service. It provides a good model for the various leagues to follow, especially if they offer an a la carte system like with NBA League Pass.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Live sports in general is the only thing keeping cable (or similar offerings like Sling/Vue) alive for a lot of people.

Most leagues are locked into fairly long term contracts, but in the next decade as most of these deals come up for renewal, we could see a massive shift. Not the best example, but WWE has seen a big uptick in profits switching from the PPV model to a self owned streaming service. It provides a good model for the various leagues to follow, especially if they offer an a la carte system like with NBA League Pass.
    WWE is doing much better now with their network but the first two years after launch were near disastrous financially for them, renegotiating a TV deal with USA/Comcast was likely the only thing keeping the company in business for a period of a few months quite frankly.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

ESPN signed Scott van Pelt to a multi-year contract extension

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Today was the final day of Mike & Mike after 18 years of hosting a morning show together. Golic will remain in that time slot on a new show with Golic Jr and Trey Wingo, beginning the week after Thanksgiving. Greene will get a new show in April with Jalen Rose and Michelle Beadle as his co hosts.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Out of the loop on this but if they aren't moving away from tv/radio why are they splitting?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    Out of the loop on this but if they aren't moving away from tv/radio why are they splitting?
    iirc, they cant stand each other

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I thought golic was going radio only and greeny to tv only.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Greeny got a really big contract extension. So they are giving him his own show.