Thread: Before I download 10GB...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Before I download 10GB...

Does anyone happen to know of any technical restrictions to running the JP client?
    Can I have both JP/NA versions installed on the same machine?
    Can I log in to the JP client with an NA account?
    Does Windower work with it?

The fuss I kicked up about the Su3 differences has gotten me interested in setting it up so I can datamine it myself, but I'm looking at downloading 4x 1.5GB+ files and would rather not waste the download time if someone already knows for a fact that it won't work.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Does anyone happen to know of any technical restrictions to running the JP client?
    Can I have both JP/NA versions installed on the same machine?
    Can I log in to the JP client with an NA account?
    Does Windower work with it?

The fuss I kicked up about the Su3 differences has gotten me interested in setting it up so I can datamine it myself, but I'm looking at downloading 4x 1.5GB+ files and would rather not waste the download time if someone already knows for a fact that it won't work.
    To save you some time, you don't need the JP client to look at JP items .DATs. They're already on your system.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn View Post
    To save you some time, you don't need the JP client to look at JP items .DATs. They're already on your system.
    Aren't all the languages including ones not supported anymore still in the the .dats?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Aren't all the languages including ones not supported anymore still in the the .dats?
    Yea, they just don't add new translations and such for those languages anymore. But all the old things still are there.

@Nyarlko:
    - Yes you can have both installed.
    - Yes you can login to JP with NA account.
    - Yes Windower or Ashita will work with it since its the same files. It just sets a flag to tell the client to use different parts of the dats and some different dat files.

As Cair mentioned though, you don't need to download the separate client though, all the files for every language is included in each install. So having the NA client, you still have all the other languages as well.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by atom0s View Post
    Yea, they just don't add new translations and such for those languages anymore. But all the old things still are there.

@Nyarlko:
    - Yes you can have both installed.
    - Yes you can login to JP with NA account.
    - Yes Windower or Ashita will work with it since its the same files. It just sets a flag to tell the client to use different parts of the dats and some different dat files.

As Cair mentioned though, you don't need to download the separate client though, all the files for every language is included in each install. So having the NA client, you still have all the other languages as well.
    ^_^ Thank you for the answers. I'll probably be downloading/installing it in that case. Whether or not the .dat files are identical is in question for me due to the differences that showed up between here vs JPwiki when both lists were sourced by datamining supposedly the same files.. Is it known for sure that the update server does not care about client language and serves up only one version of each file? The big thing for me is actually being able to type in Japanese, so unless someone on the Windower team gets around to fixing the long dead IME addon/plugin, this would be my best bet. :/

I've also apparently forgotten how to edit dats directly ^^;; I know that I've edited them directly successfully in the past (since I have a few modded files saved still) but yeah... early onset Oldtimers I guess. lol

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It's incredibly unlikely that you edited them directly. The data is stored in blocks that are not really viewer friendly and the strings are encoded.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn View Post
    It's incredibly unlikely that you edited them directly. The data is stored in blocks that are not really viewer friendly and the strings are encoded.
    I remember doing it. And what I remember doing was straight text editing. I just can't remember what settings I used in NP++ to see everything properly. :/

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    ^_^ Thank you for the answers. I'll probably be downloading/installing it in that case. Whether or not the .dat files are identical is in question for me due to the differences that showed up between here vs JPwiki when both lists were sourced by datamining supposedly the same files.. Is it known for sure that the update server does not care about client language and serves up only one version of each file? The big thing for me is actually being able to type in Japanese, so unless someone on the Windower team gets around to fixing the long dead IME addon/plugin, this would be my best bet. :/

I've also apparently forgotten how to edit dats directly ^^;; I know that I've edited them directly successfully in the past (since I have a few modded files saved still) but yeah... early onset Oldtimers I guess. lol
    The servers don't care what language you connect with, they'll give you updates either way. The updates are the same for every language client. All the files downloaded are the same for English and Japanese. If you want to type in Japanese, you can just use things like Ashita's IME addon which enables the Japanese IME on non-Japanese clients. Windower had an IME plugin at one point but I have no idea if it's still maintained.

As for editing DATs directly, it depends on which ones you plan to edit. If its simple mob renaming, those files are in a format that allows for plain text editing as long as you are careful not to edit certain bytes or go too long on a name string. Other dat files are encoded, bit packed, etc. as Cair mentioned. Which requires decoding them, editing in a proper manner, then reencoding them properly. There are not really any tools available currently to edit files since it's not really seen as a major thing to do on FFXI outside of modding models and stuff, things like editing events, strings, etc. are usually not done here since updates will override any edits you make and it is more or less a hassle to keep redoing them.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by atom0s View Post
    The servers don't care what language you connect with, they'll give you updates either way. The updates are the same for every language client. All the files downloaded are the same for English and Japanese. If you want to type in Japanese, you can just use things like Ashita's IME addon which enables the Japanese IME on non-Japanese clients. Windower had an IME plugin at one point but I have no idea if it's still maintained.

As for editing DATs directly, it depends on which ones you plan to edit. If its simple mob renaming, those files are in a format that allows for plain text editing as long as you are careful not to edit certain bytes or go too long on a name string. Other dat files are encoded, bit packed, etc. as Cair mentioned. Which requires decoding them, editing in a proper manner, then reencoding them properly. There are not really any tools available currently to edit files since it's not really seen as a major thing to do on FFXI outside of modding models and stuff, things like editing events, strings, etc. are usually not done here since updates will override any edits you make and it is more or less a hassle to keep redoing them.
    The ones that I've done were mob renames. The funny thing is that I can't even view the previously edited ones properly like I remember doing before. ><;;