1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 52 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 7 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 52 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bloodstorm Prep     submit to reddit submit to twitter

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    That's all my team is using it for. Can't imagine SE would intentionally allow everyone to essentially skip the new portion of the game in lieu of literal dungeon hole grinding to max.
    They allowed you to go from 50-60 in North Thanalan, so when it comes to yoshi, nothing is really off the table. The only reason they'd disallow it is because you'd be able to "rush", otherwise like with HW, people skipped quite a bit of it since it was the content they wanted to get to. You were still gated till you did xyz quests anyway though.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    They allowed you to go from 50-60 in North Thanalan, so when it comes to yoshi, nothing is really off the table.
    IIRC you could not level past 50 in ARR zones at HW release. That was added later.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You couldn't gain exp in ARR dungeons at release. You totally could live in North Thanalan to 60 though.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Most people just bot'd n.than to 60 once they completed story, expect the same to 70.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

So unless something unexpected happens, I should be getting my new PC tomorrow. What's the quickest way to re-install the game? I was thinking of just connecting my old PC with my new one via Ethernet and just transferring files over but will that actually allow the game to be played? Or will I have to install something or download something or do a registry something to make it actually work?

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

just transfering the files won't take care of registry keys etc. (I havne't checked, but I doubt it's much more than installation folders etc., but that in itself can make things a little messy) so I would be pleasantly surprised by that working. the easiest thing would be to just grab the game client installer from SE and let it do its thing. Probably faster than putting everything in the right place unless you're on dial-up or have strict bandwith quotas.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

That's kind of what I figured ultimately. I just wanted to speed up the process

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

You could try, I would be very interested in hearing what you learn. I took a quick peek at my registry, I have some references to the executable in the audio section of the IE section of HKEY_Current_user, I assume it has something to do with how the game uses the browser functions of IE for some stuff (like the launcher) other than that I seem to have a few compatibility listings, the uninstall listings, some language and region listings, some firewall settings (still in the registry) for the launcher and various executables. So all in all it doesn't look too bad.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Do this:

Backup the Crogramfiles:whatever directory the game is in
    Backup the settings/char folder in "My Games"

On new PC

install base ffxiv client/thing but DON'T launch the updater/client

after install, copy pasta the 2 folders above to their intended destinations

launch game

it'll quickly check itself, but you should be good to go afterwards

did that for my work laptop recently]

note: we're blessed that all of the game files are in single "pak" files or something... basically, as a result of this, there's not a lot of files to copy. this makes backing it up rather quick/easy compared to some games which has a million files scattered everywhere

note2: don't screw around with registry and whatnot

note3: lol uninstalling the game took 13? seconds. had to remove it from my work laptop as I got no space to put stormblood on there anyway

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ahh yes, I'll give that a shot tomorrow and post about how it goes! Thanks!

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

ah right, the base installer would do all the registry work, that's pretty clever!

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Hokai, so I followed Stig's instructions more or less. I connected my old and new PC to my modem via ethernet. I gave my new PC permissions to access and write/rewrite files and documents on my old PC. And then while accessing my old PC, I copied the FFXIV folder and basically pasted it over the folder I had on my new PC from the free installer online. I also made a backup on my old PC and copied that over too and used it to restore the FFXIV settings on my new PC and viola! Took about 3 minutes to transfer over 24Gigs worth of files and after some performance, screen size and HUD reformatting the game is running with all my old setups and macros and etc, etc.

I tried finding some stupid file transfer programs online but quickly realized they were a waste of time. Now I just need to move over my old documents, videos, pictures, etc.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Great to hear! I didn't think on the level of using ethernet though to hook up PCs lol, I just imagined you'd have a hard drive laying around somewhere.

Did the HUD not carry over? Or did your screen size/res changed?

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My HUD formatting did carry over, but so did my old screen resolutions too lol, so I had to rework those both a bit to fit my screen better. But it only took a couple minutes of resizing things and slightly repositioning them too.

Also, I put in my earlier post that it only took 3 minutes but it actually took 30, that was a typo lol. But yeah with Ethernet I had a transfer rate if 100~110mbps so it was ridiculously fast. I have 150mbps internet speed but even with that I doubt I'd get even half the speed downloading all the data online through updating. So I saved myself a ton of time